It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2004, 11:17 PM   #1
(female)

catluvr4 HB User
Anyone else getting weird dreams during peri?

During the last few days, I have been getting more and more dreams about death followed by me giving birth. They started last year, but I had only one or two. But now, the frequency is increasing quite a bit. I'm almost afraid to go to sleep because they are a bit scary.

Old 09-13-2004, 07:44 AM   #2

Z'sMom HB User
Re: Anyone else getting weird dreams during peri?

Oh, yes. I'd wake up and jump out of bed because I'd be so scared/upset/anxious. Sometimes the dreams would be so intense I wouldn't be able to figure out where I was and I'd start to panic. THEN I couldn't get back to sleep. My hubby thought I was going nuts!

I'm currently taking Estroven (OTC) which has really, really helped a lot for me. I sleep mostly thru the night unless the toddler gets up AND my night sweats have dropped from EVERY night to just maybe one night a week. My dreams are more restful, when I even remember them. I also notice a huge difference in that I'm not waking up with a sore jaw (grinding & clenching my teeth from the dreams) every day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2004, 09:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z'sMom
Oh, yes. I'd wake up and jump out of bed because I'd be so scared/upset/anxious. Sometimes the dreams would be so intense I wouldn't be able to figure out where I was and I'd start to panic. THEN I couldn't get back to sleep. My hubby thought I was going nuts!

I'm currently taking Estroven (OTC) which has really, really helped a lot for me. I sleep mostly thru the night unless the toddler gets up AND my night sweats have dropped from EVERY night to just maybe one night a week. My dreams are more restful, when I even remember them. I also notice a huge difference in that I'm not waking up with a sore jaw (grinding & clenching my teeth from the dreams) every day.
I haven't tried the estroven, is it really that good. I'm tired of the dreams too and the grinding of my teeth from whatever I'm dreaming of at times.

Andrea

Old 09-13-2004, 09:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catluvr4
During the last few days, I have been getting more and more dreams about death followed by me giving birth. They started last year, but I had only one or two. But now, the frequency is increasing quite a bit. I'm almost afraid to go to sleep because they are a bit scary.

I wouldn't say these are negative dreams. The dying represents the end of your cycles and the birth represents the birth into menopause. It is an entirely different birth than having a baby, that's for sure. I dream every night also, about so many things. Try to do some free writing sometime during the day or before bed, just keep writing everything you feel or comes to mind and then either re-read it and save it or throw it out. It does help.
The declining of estrogen makes us dream like crazy. Not to mention also the brain fog.

Andrea

Old 09-13-2004, 12:27 PM   #5

Z'sMom HB User

Andrea - Again, the Estroven works for ME, so far. There are lots of women here who said they've tried it without really getting any relief and a few who seemed to react to the Black Cohosh root or some of the herbs.

It's not that expensive so the best way might be just to try it. I also like the more "balanced" feeling I have emotionally...even if it's a bit harder to wake up in the morning !

Old 09-13-2004, 12:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z'sMom
Andrea - Again, the Estroven works for ME, so far. There are lots of women here who said they've tried it without really getting any relief and a few who seemed to react to the Black Cohosh root or some of the herbs.

It's not that expensive so the best way might be just to try it. I also like the more "balanced" feeling I have emotionally...even if it's a bit harder to wake up in the morning !
Ok, I'll look into it, I know I've seen it at walgreens but was leery of it, dont' know why. Thanks. My gyne gave me one too, Remifemin, if anyone else is interested on this board. It does have Black Cohosh in it.

Andrea

Old 09-13-2004, 03:39 PM   #7
(female)

1awesomegranny HB User

Hey Cat...
I get those too, not the death and birth topics, but just plain wierd stuff, things I would never think of consciously, sometimes songs I don't remember hearing, all disjointed and making no sense at all. I wake up confused and sometimes angry or depressed every morning because of these wierd dreams. I haven't found anything to help. After I'm up a bit things level out and mentally I'm okay, but the first 15 minutes or so are rough and I too hate waking up with clenched jaws!!! It has to be hormonal, I NEVER had this junk before...either that or its from the anxiety that the hormone fluxes are causing!!!
I hope we both sleep better tonite!
Conni

Old 09-13-2004, 07:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

I posted about experiencing weird dreams at another site, but only a few people responsed. It's interesting to see so many people respond at this site having the same "weird dream" hormonal symptom.

My dreams were weird in that they were about people I never knew, and their faces were vivid. I'd usually wake up praying to the Lord to take these dreams away, because they can be disturbing.

Just the other night I realized that I wasn't having weird dreams anymore. I've been taking bcp for a little over two months and they seem to have eliminated those dreams. Now I dream about events and people that I know.

The medical profession really need to take us serious and begin some extensive research into all these common "hormonal" symptoms. Someone could be wealthy if they just came up with accurate tests and treatment. Hmmm...........

Old 09-15-2004, 02:17 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User

Well for CRYING OUT LOUD!! That explains why I have been having such weird dreams for the past year or so. Just icky sometimes. I couldn't figure out why the heck I started dreaming so much, but the hormone thing would certainly explain it! That's a relief to know what is probably causing them. They probably won't stop, but at least now I know I'm not cracking up. Now if I could just figure out the nausea I get quite often at 3:30 - 4:30 a in the morning. A very STRONG nausea that feels like something is burning in my stomach. I don't actually throw up, but sure feel like I could. I have to get up, drink lots of water and sometimes take a few Tums. The I sit up until I get to feeling better. Between the dreams and the nausea, I'm becoming and OLD WOMAN really fast!

M

Old 09-15-2004, 07:51 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1awesomegranny
Hey Cat...
I get those too, not the death and birth topics, but just plain wierd stuff, things I would never think of consciously, sometimes songs I don't remember hearing, all disjointed and making no sense at all. I wake up confused and sometimes angry or depressed every morning because of these wierd dreams. I haven't found anything to help. After I'm up a bit things level out and mentally I'm okay, but the first 15 minutes or so are rough and I too hate waking up with clenched jaws!!! It has to be hormonal, I NEVER had this junk before...either that or its from the anxiety that the hormone fluxes are causing!!!
I hope we both sleep better tonite!
Conni

I am exactly like you. I have weird dreams and wake up also stiff with pain in my body and clenched jaws or grinding of my teeth on the left side only, LOL

Now I'm on day 21, I believe and I'm already with anxiety. God help us!

Andrea

Old 09-15-2004, 07:53 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

My dreams were weird in that they were about people I never knew, and their faces were vivid. I'd usually wake up praying to the Lord to take these dreams away, because they can be disturbing.

Hopefully, this is me too. I wake up wondering why I'm dreaming of people I don't even know! I too have prayed about this. Lack of estrogen supposely will do this to the brain and dream state. Well, have't gotten myself to take any hormones yet, except for the natural progesterone creme. I smoke so scared of bcp's but I understand I can take prempro.

Andrea

Closed Thread