It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2004, 06:44 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User
Will Benedryl help me sleep?

I'm not sleeping well. I'm having big trouble falling and staying alseep. I have a prescription for Ambien and it's not working. Actually after reading about this drug I really don't want to take it!

On this board, maybe last winter someone began a thread about " sleeping problems". A few women mentioned that they took "Benedryl" at night to help them sleep. I tried to search for that thread but it's been archived because I couldn't find it.

If ANYONE is presently taking Benedryl please let me know how much you're taking. I've taken 2 (50 mg) at bedtime and it's not been too effective. I'm wondering if 3 (75 mg) would be the max that I could take.

Thanks....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2004, 10:21 AM   #2

Z'sMom HB User
Re: Will Benedryl help me sleep?

Please do a search on "side effects of benedryl" before committing to taking these doses on a regular basis...one of the side effects can even be insomnia. This is a product that is reactive with many other drugs and is SO not good for you to take on a routine basis.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/dihydram_ad.htm (the link if it will post)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2004, 10:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLinda
I'm not sleeping well. I'm having big trouble falling and staying alseep. I have a prescription for Ambien and it's not working. Actually after reading about this drug I really don't want to take it!

On this board, maybe last winter someone began a thread about " sleeping problems". A few women mentioned that they took "Benedryl" at night to help them sleep. I tried to search for that thread but it's been archived because I couldn't find it.

If ANYONE is presently taking Benedryl please let me know how much you're taking. I've taken 2 (50 mg) at bedtime and it's not been too effective. I'm wondering if 3 (75 mg) would be the max that I could take.

Thanks....
50mg would probably knock most people out cold! I take Benedryl (1 pill) when I have an allergy problem (itchy skin) only...at first, it would make me sleepy but after your body gets used to it, I doesn't make you sleepy anymore. To help me sleep, I take Tylendol PM sometimes. I only take 1/2 of pill even tho the bottle recommends 2 pills. I sleep thru the night with this. It contains the same ingredients as Benedryl but for some reason, it seems to work for me. The Tylendol relieves my achy back/hips. I also notice that once I started making it a habit to go to bed the same time, I sleep better - there are times when I automatically fall asleep by myself w/o taking anything.

You might want to try OTC sleeping aids instead of taking an antishistime. I tried Melatonin but it takes a long time to get me sleepy and I would still wake up in the middle of the night.

molly

Old 09-15-2004, 06:34 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User

Tylenol PM use to make me sleepy. I would take it at night for my hip pain. But that was before the surgery and before I had to sleep with all these pillows between my legs!! I had a hip replacement and you have all these restrictions with regards to sleeping.

I do have allergies and remembered that the same ingredient that's in Tylenol PM is what's in Benedryl. I took 2 the other night and literally waited to fall alseep. Needless to say I didn't. I think I'm "thinking" about it too much and fighting the medication.

Anyway thanks for the replies. If this continues I'll speak to my medical doctor on the next visit.

Old 09-16-2004, 05:54 AM   #5
(female)

Cookie531 HB User

Tylenol PM, Sominex and all other sleep aids are nothing more than Benedryl. Same ingredient. It helps me sleep but I only take one or else I wake up very groggy.

Old 09-16-2004, 08:15 AM   #6
Veteran

whatamess@35 HB User

I was told to try benadryl also...I ended up trying ambien,,it only worked for a few days..I ended up getting a script for trazadone..It works great!!!Also if your estrogen is too low you will have insomnia!!

Last edited by whatamess@35; 09-16-2004 at 08:16 AM.

Old 09-16-2004, 12:48 PM   #7
(female)

joyka HB User

I have found that it helps a lot with sleeping although I only take it very, very occasionally. I never take any thing more than once or twice a month as I have noticed that I become dependent on the sleep aide immediately (the next night I cannot sleep at all if I took something the previous night).
I tried Ambien....very dangerous drug. I got up one night and moved the toaster into the living room and plugged it up and made toast in it. Do not remember anything. Very scary.

Old 09-23-2004, 08:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

californiasunflower HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLinda

Thanks....
My hubby has been taking allergy meds to sleep at night for a long while now. He can't sleep ever since he quit smoking. With benadryl, He sleeps but the side affect is hi blood pressure so he can't use that anymore. HIs doc recommended melatonin. If ambien isn't working have you tried melatonin? It is over the counter.

Old 09-24-2004, 08:47 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User

Californiasunflower - No I haven't tried melatonin. I've hear alot about it, but never gave it a try. I'll look for it the next time I'm out to the drug store. Thanks!

Old 09-24-2004, 12:14 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

twokatss HB User
Smile Re: Will Benedryl help me sleep?

The cheapest and best sleeping pill I could buy is GRAVOL for nausea or motion sickness. The main ingredient is dimenhydrinate. I take 1 -- 50mg about 2 hours before bedtime. Works like a charm. In Canada it cost is about $3.00 for 100-------50mg. Or there is generic too. Even cheaper.

Old 09-24-2004, 08:01 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

californiasunflower HB User

I think that ingredient is in the antihistamines and that is what allows my hubby to sleep. Only problem is that for some it can increase the blood pressure. So if you are susceptible to high blood pressure, plz be aware of that precaution. I understand because my hubby suffers from lack of ability to stay asleep. HAPPY SLEEPING TO EACH OF YOU THAT NEED IT!

Cal Sun

Old 10-17-2004, 06:53 PM   #12

Prickly Pear HB User

Benadryl effects people differently. It may work short term, like several weeks, but after that it can actually cause sleep problems.

I have fibromyalgia, at which the root is a "sleep disorder".

Ambien or Benadryl won't help me sleep at all.

Since "sleep disorder" is part of my diagnosis, I have taken daily medication for sleep for the last 12 years.

Hopefully you will be able to resolve your sleep problems with natural remedies.

Linda

Closed Thread