It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2004, 02:14 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User
When is Menopause considered "over"??

I've had no period now for 6 months. No spotting, no nothing. I am not taking any HRT's or any "natrual" product.

Now if I have no period for 12 straight months, am I considered "out of menopause"?

The night sweats and hot flashes have subsided some. But they are not gone completely.

Thanks....

Last edited by MrsLinda; 09-23-2004 at 02:15 PM.

Old 09-23-2004, 07:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

californiasunflower HB User
Re: When is Menopause considered "over"??

It is my understanding that menopause ends after one year of no period.

Women who go thru the change of life often have irregular cycles and this is how they get pregnant because the cycle is no longer the reliable every 28 days. So the ovulation occurs at irregular intervals and that is how babies are born to grandmothers! (this happened in my family. my aunt isn't even a year older than me)!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2004, 07:29 PM   #3
(female)

Cookie531 HB User

Yes, after 12 months of no periods you are considered to be ended with menopause. I went 11 months then had another period and had to start the count all over again!

Old 09-24-2004, 07:45 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User

Thanks for the replies.

Ok...that's what I thought. After 1 year of no periods it's over.

I'm wondering now. Do the "sweats and flashes" stop then too??

Old 09-24-2004, 10:00 AM   #5
(female)

Cookie531 HB User

Nope, they don't go away. I'm still waiting lol.

Old 09-24-2004, 12:50 PM   #6
(female)

joyka HB User

Hmmm......I always thought that you were not really into real menopause until you were without periods for one year. I thought the one year marker was for the actual beginning. Anyone else ever hear of this? I thought it last about 5 or 10 years.

Old 09-25-2004, 02:53 AM   #7
(female)

BonBe HB User

I agree with joyka I was under the impression that the time precededing no periods and throughout that 'no period for 12 month time' is considered

Peri-menopause. When menses have ceased for 12 months straight (no spotting) then you enter into menopause which yes lasts a long time, only difference is Menopause means a pause in the menses (cessation) I am 54 been 'no periods now since I was 50' then suddenly quite out of the blue last spring, a period arrived on my door step, making all the doctors nicely get concerned and I was then a POST MENOPAUSE bleed and it has to be checked out asap. Ended with a D & C with hysteroscopy, and sampling taken to labs for testing for cancer. (I was clear).

Since I am not having any HRT (my and my doctors choice) I simply deal with it all. The night sweats are horrid I will admit, and along with another problem (not in the female field) this has been a rather yucky year thus far.

I am also hypo-thyroid which makes any treatment rather hard to play around with, so I rather not disturb the balance of my present meds with something to control this (I will admit) horrid advancment of my female age hahah. I wish we could find a simple non drug, non thyroid interferring, method of dealing with night sweats, (and some times they happen in the day time too!)

Bonnie Lea

Old 09-25-2004, 06:52 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User

They stop at some point; don't they????????

Old 09-25-2004, 07:05 AM   #9
(female)

BonBe HB User

Yes they do stop at one point, but where that is WHO KNOWS I know I am and will always consider myself in menopause (even if that slight problem with post menopause bleeding) not even like a period, just a bleeding problem which has been corrected.

How long? dunno my flashes are getting more and more intensified, but that could also be the stress with other health issues I am currently undergoing. I have heard up to almost 8 years (give or take) I do dislike them, it is a bother, and I am sick to death of that feeling that creeps over us. But rather not go on any hormone treatment... (cannot know even if I wanted to)

Bonnie Lea

Old 09-25-2004, 09:11 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Hi Bonnie Lea,

How are you feeling after the surgery and all? I just wanted to say that when I was 44 the menopause really hit me. I am 51 now. I had forgetfulness, hotflashes,irritability. The whole works really hit me all of a sudden.

The MD put me on prempro and that really helped. Then I started thinking about my mom. She had breast cancer and skin cancer. The media started mentioning all the bad side effects,including cancer. I decided to go off but that was a big nono I couldn't stand the misery so I went back on HRT. Then I started getting high cholesterol. Had to stop that. Tried the combipatch. Couldn't handle the sideeffects of that.

Right now I am postmenopausel. Haven't had a period for two years. Then I developed Graves disease. That is when I was on the combipatch. I was also on synthroid for hypo.

It just makes me wonder sometimes how I got graves disease. My mom took the very strong birthcontrol pills years ago. Now they are saying that the women who took those very strong birth control pills, most of them developed breast cancer. I read that somewhere or saw it on tv or somewhere.

Well I hope that you are doing better. I have read many of your posts on the thyroid board and enjoyed them.

Take care of yourself nobody else will huh?

Old 09-26-2004, 04:13 AM   #11
(female)

BonBe HB User

you know what? I have a question (yep I do) when you say the doctor put you on ------- what ever the drug may be) it allievated symptoms etc, what symptons were they? I know what I read about, but it never has played into my life at all. Only these hot flushes/flashes/max showers whilst in bed kind of thing that bothers me no end. But other things, well, I just decided not to make a big thing, I am not dying from menopause symptoms and I am just hoping that I am not a tooooo old lady before they finish so I can find the 'glory of mature womanhood status' hahahha

I serioiusly have never felt the need to attend to the other things....somethings are annoying, like urine droplet when I am not expecting it (or sneezing) mood swings, I decided long ago after a childhood filled with a mother who was so very unhappy and in those days the women (not just menopause) women but depressed anxious, over medicated were given stupid drugs to combat their 'feelings' the final straw was mother chose to have a hysterectomy (was told she needed it) and jumped at the chance of no more messy periods, she was only 42.

I remember trying to understand (I was 12) this 'person' who was my mother who normally was hard to deal with, but this took the cake. I will forever and always remember that..... I have gone through the fibroids and all, and lived to tell about it.... (still have them unless during the D & C they removed them? dunno. Mom never had hormone replacement and I was under the impression because she was left with her ovaries.

On a lighter side, she is now 86 almost 87 and we laugh at her wondering just what the ovaries are doing in there, (atriphied no doubt) but for years she just assumed they were floating around like little cherries.

I too have high cholesterol but that is probably due to the hypothyroid stuff, plus diet of course. My only beef is the night sweats (and day sweats).

Getting over this surgery (gee a large 7 inch scar on my back, now with a huge dent in it, and two little 'pointy hills at either end.... plastic surgeon says they will eventually shrink....I hope so, but then again never again being able to wear short sleeve shirts outside who cares?

Bonnie Lea

But

Old 09-26-2004, 10:20 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

When I was 44 I did the hotflash thing and for a few years after. Went off the HRT and didn't have the hotflashes. When I started having thyroid problems that is when the sweats came back.

I don't know if it has anything to do with it or not.

Old 09-26-2004, 11:59 AM   #13
(female)

BonBe HB User

Oh it def does. I was dxd hypo thyroid LONG LONG before any peri or menopause struck me! and I was always moaning to my doctor prior to dx'd that I was having hot flashes, she (doc) chuckled and said wishful thinking, you are too young (I was but still) So yes thyroid problems doe in some cases cause this, and I have been dealt the double whammy!

Even in cold cold weather....(we sleep with the bedroom window open even in winter) I end up on top of the covers with huge purple goose bumps..... I can hardly wait for nature to stop all this nonsense (before I hit senior citizen classification!)

BonnieLea

Old 09-27-2004, 05:33 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I don't know the answer to this question. I haven't had a period for 15 months and still have most of the symptoms of peri. I still get hot flashes ( although not as many) still have brain fog, indigestion, irritable bowel and bladder and anxiety 24/7. I have heard that these symptoms can last up to two years after your last period. I hope that is true.

Old 09-27-2004, 06:02 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User

I sure hope they don't last that long after your period ends!!! I'm sitting here sweating now!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread