It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2004, 06:18 AM   #1

denise222 HB User
Describe Your Hot Flashes

I am 44 and dealing with perimenopause for over a year now. I have been lucky (so far) with the hot flashes and have had a few each month, but not bad. Here is mine:

1. I wake up at 3am, feel like my entire body is on fire and I'm wet with sweat. I stick my head in the freezer and place ice cubes under my boobs.
The hot flash last about 10-15 min.

2. During an average day, all of a sudden I feel hot. It's always from the chest up (never from the waist down) mainly my neck and head. I feel like I am going to melt, it last about 10 min or so. If I'm in the car, I turn the A/C on full blast and let it hit me in the face. (that helps alot)

That's the way the hot flashes feel to me......

Old 09-24-2004, 07:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Describe Your Hot Flashes

Yes, when I first started to get hot flashes, it was as if my body was burning, I had it everywhere, they call them hot flushes instead of flashes. I had this for about 2-3 months, then I would get them on and off, not as frequent. Now they have turned into drench city. It starts like around my breast bone,lower breast bone then rushes up, at least the prozac helped with the power surges, anyways i begin to feel like a heat wave, then I sweat on mychest, under my breasts, face and sometimes scalp. It is more frequent closer to when my period is due, like a week or so before, again my period is late, so here I go again, I even hot flash through my periods now and afterwards. I really don't have too many great days in a month. My PMS is not full-time, LOL

Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2004, 01:12 PM   #3
(female)

joyka HB User
Wink Re: Describe Your Hot Flashes

Mine start on the arms and I get warmer and warmer as if someone has turned up the heat. Coffee makes it worse. Polyester clothing seems to also make it worse. At night I wake up and am very warm. I take off the covers for awhile and get cold water to drink. At work, I go to the ice machine and get a huge cup of ice and fill it with water or diet soda (no caffeine). My office is very cold but when I get hot flashes, I generally take off my jacket for awhile. After its gone, its back to freezing. I used to think that something was wrong with the heating system and kept a thermometer on my desk all the time.

Old 09-24-2004, 04:08 PM   #4
(female)

noinwi HB User

My whole body turns clammy and at the same time the heat starts in my upper back and rises to my head and face, much like becoming very embarrassed. When the HF's started about 6 years ago(I'm now 53), they were mild but often, several times an hour, lasting 3-5 minutes. I used to call them "moisties" because there wasn't actual sweat, just, well, moisture or clamminess all over my body. But they were so frequent that I went on HRT, which I've been off and on over the years.
These days(without HRT) they're less frequent, once or twice an hour, but they're more intense with profuse sweating from head to toe, still lasting 3-5 minutes. I get really chilled now after it's over.They've always been round the clock, interfering with sleep(blankets on, blankets off, blankets on, etc). I keep little cardboard "fans" all over the house so I can grab one when needed. So much fun!

Old 09-25-2004, 03:00 AM   #5
(female)

BonBe HB User

oh my yes it is so much fun isnt it. Here it is end of September and I still have on the ceiling fan in our bedroom. DH is in a pickle, blankets on and off and what not.

It starts in my face (during the day) and goes to my waist, arms included. Yes since a recent (still on going) bout of malignant melanoma for which I have had a rather nasty surgery, and now in follow up treatment, I find that the HF are worse and more frequent.

At night, my legs my back, my boobs my chest, (not face) become drenched causing me to change jammies nightly. Even my feet last night....whew what a night.

I had to have a CT scan the other day, and right in the middle of all that fuss (IV injection, drank gallons of 'contrast material' in the machine I had a HF which elevated my already elevated due to stress (cancer does this) blood pressure they had to stop the CT scan, and I mumbled its ok, just a Hot Flash/Flush/hourly soak haha the poor radiologist guy....

Oh the life of us women....but tis something we do not share with anyone else of the opposite sex...tis all ours...aint we lucky?

Bonnie Lea

Old 09-25-2004, 06:42 AM   #6

Snoshop60 HB User

I do really good at night if I lay on my back but when I turn to either side, here they
come. Sometimes it feels as if the HF is coming out my back between my shoulder
blades. I can feel my heart beathing in my back with the HF. I'm 60 and have been
having the HF since I was 45. My doctor told me to use my HRT for three weeks and
then a week off to let my breasts 'rest'. During that week I have to take my blood
pressure medicine but when I get the hormones back in my system, my blood pressure
is normal. I don't know when the fun will be over.

Old 09-25-2004, 07:09 AM   #7
(female)

BonBe HB User

ha on a lighter side.... my hubby said (when I tried on my back, even though my back kills me) that the dresser drawers were going in and out, with my snorring!!! well..............I never..........hahha

Soggy sheets, soggy jammies, and other aging female things, and still we keep our humour about us. It will not pay to get all wigged out and grumpy for sure...tis just a fact of life, a phase if you will, (I don't) haha but I am sure it too will pass. There are worse things out there!

Bonnie Lea

Old 09-25-2004, 08:05 AM   #8
Veteran

whatamess@35 HB User

hi ladies
I had a hyst 1 yr ago..i am a 36 yr old mom 2 kids 13 and 17...
I have been going thru surgically induced menopause for the last year!!
Thankfully i am on a pill that works for me now.I dont wake up soaked to the bone anymore...I am paranoid of one hitting in the middle of the night again ,so i wear a thin tank top and undies to sleep in..I cant wear clothes to bed at all!!
I couldnt get back to sleep for nothin after i woke up drenched..I still have them during the day but not as bad...mine start in my knees..i know its weird!!!Then it moves up to my upperbody!! They used to start in my neck but for some reason they always start in my knees!!

Old 09-25-2004, 08:20 AM   #9

qcparks HB User
Cool Re: Describe Your Hot Flashes

I am 38 and experience hot flashes lately. I have also visited a hematologist/oncologist in regards to high wbc and high platelet count. He said hot flashes can be caused by a number of things. Since my doctors have checked hormone levels and all is fine, I don't know what causes mine.

But when I have them I feel as if the entire house or area in which I am standing in has increased in temp to about 100 degrees. One day I am unloading groceries and it is 71 outside I thought it was at least 85 because I was so hot I couldn't stand it. I start off with a huge wave of heat and I am instantly burning up, it then goes away in a few minutes. I have had these at least 5 times a day, sometimes more, but rarely does it occur at night.

Old 09-25-2004, 09:14 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Kayley HB User

I thought I was weird because my sweats only happen when I lay on my side too! It's good to know I'm not the only one. The other day I went out shopping with my friend and as soon as we got back to my house I started ripping off my clothes.LOL I said "excuse me while I strip" Then I just sprawled out under the ceiling fan on my bed and went "Ahhhhh!!!". I've been on HRT for a few weeks and they're getting less frequent but unfortunately I'm still having some.
Kayley

Old 09-25-2004, 09:34 AM   #11
Veteran

whatamess@35 HB User

I recently went to a wedding where i constantly looked like i just stepped outta the shower...It was so imbarrassing..It was a hot day burt nobody else had to carry napkins all day like i did!! We have to watch our caffiene intake and alcohol intake!! Those will make the flashes increase as well..Welcome to womanhiood ladies!! I know not funny!!

Old 09-26-2004, 03:52 AM   #12
(female)

BonBe HB User

Hi Kayley

well in my books we must keep a humour about us. Only we women can understand all this stuff. I am not sad by it as some others are...it is a passage of life is all. Wonder what are distant ancestors did when they did not have all the modern aids to help us (in my case ceiling fans) showers, quick doing laundry, not having to plough the fields when our husbands were off hunting for things for us to 'preserve' all that stuff. I bed (never mind what I bet) it has to do with us doing more than tossing slippers at our husbands when they make some buffoonish joke.

BonnieLea

Old 09-26-2004, 08:48 AM   #13
Veteran

whatamess@35 HB User

So true bonbe!!!! My mom, told me her mom had a nervous breakdown!!!
I was very close myself in the begining..I had changed patches too soon and doubled up accidently..I developed severe pain in my legs!! Called doc she says go to E.R. take off patch!! I didnt have blood clots but had severe pain for almost 2 weeks!!I was told dont put another patch on until i went to see her...I went about 4 weeks w/ no hrrt..right after surgery!! I was so mean and depressed..it was terrible!! I actually ended up going to see a phsy doc..I was put on zoloft and trazadone to help me sleep...Once i got my hormones at the right level ..about 3 months later total...I WENT OFF THE ZOLOFT ABND TRAZADONE.. I have a friend that completely freaks out when she has one!!! I tell her welcome to womanhood.We cant change it so only other option is to find the best way to cope and accept that we have a few more years ahead of us~!!

Old 09-26-2004, 09:07 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Kayley HB User

That's for sure! It's so nice to have you all to talk to about this. I found something that works well when my face gets all sweaty. Have you all ever tried those oil blotting sheets? I bought some at Sally's and they work much better than Kleenex, although Kleenex will do when they're not around! They totally dry my face, until I start sweating again of course.

I often wonder what our ancestors did too. Of course way back, people didn't live as long as we do so they didn't get to this point. I guess in the early 1900's they must have carried little paper fans everywhere they went. And imagine how they dressed back then with the corsets and all the extra clothes. Ughhh!!!!! Thank goodness for ceiling fans and Air conditioning! I hope you all had a great weekend!
Kayley

Old 09-30-2004, 06:34 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

terry1953 HB User

Not sure if this is a hot flash or not.
Last night all of a sudden my face felt hot under the skin, lasted about 20 mins.. My face since looks like I have a sunburn. Forhead is reddish and so are my cheeks. can this me hot flashes/flushes? Terry

Closed Thread