It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2004, 03:27 PM   #1

virtous HB User
Mother's menopause experience and daughter's same?

Hi
I am new to this menopause board. I have been reading this board for about a week and now I am seeing that I am not the only person going thru all of these symptons. I am 50 yrs old and I just feel awful, I think that I have all of the symptons listed.
I asked my mother how was menopause for her and she told me that she didn't have any symptons, she had no problems at all. But I always heard that the daughter's menopause and mother's menopause experience would be similar. Everyone keeps telling me to talk to my mother about how it was for her and it should be the same for me. But so far my experience isn't anything like hers. Has anyone else heard about this?

Last edited by virtous; 09-29-2004 at 03:29 PM.

Old 09-29-2004, 03:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User
Re: Mother's menopause experience and daughter's same?

My mother is from the old school who believe that women should just suffer silently.

This is a sore subject for me because of the horrendous symptoms that I have experienced during this "season" in my life; It's sad to think that my mother did not warn me of these days. Matter of fact it was my dad who told me that she'd gone through menopause. When I told my dad that I was going through perimenopause he stated that he hoped it wasn't as bad as my mother's. My mother did say that she went through menopause between the age of 43-45 (after I inquired).

My sister an I have made it a point to discuss every ache, pain, panic attack, cure and possible cure with our daughters. Hopefully, they will be spared the many symptoms of perimenopause and menopause (isn't it mind boggling to know that some women are totally symptom free during this time in their lives??????????). I've even started a journal that I'm passing down to my daughter so that she will be prepared and not feel alone and clueless.

As usual I've totally strayed from the subject. Hope this information will be helpful to someone.

Last edited by Hopefully; 06-15-2005 at 05:19 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hopefully For This Useful Post:
dmommy (09-11-2012), topcee (04-14-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2004, 07:20 PM   #3
(female)

anita4pets HB User

My mother should be named Cleopatra..she is truly the queen of denial! She tells me and everyone else that she zipped through menopause and only realised it had happened when she came to the realization one day that she hadn't had a period in months.

The reality...my mother went totally wacko. Moved to another state. Went off on various members of the family and stayed out of touch with them for a year. She was having terrible bowel problems and emotional issues.

Isn't it a shame that our mothers couldn't prepare us for this and have a bit of sympathy for what we are going through.

Thank heavens for this board!

The Following User Says Thank You to anita4pets For This Useful Post:
Nessy21 (08-01-2012)
Old 09-29-2004, 08:11 PM   #4

virtous HB User

My mother never talked to me about her menopause experience. I just asked her about it recently. Thats when she told me that she did not have symptons and didn't know what was going on until she start missing her periods. It is something how some women are sympton free. I always tried to eat right and take care of myself and I thought that even doing this all of my life, I would have an easy menopause experience like my mother. I always had easy periods every month, no cramps, no heavy bloating, etc.
I am also thankful for this board.

Old 09-29-2004, 11:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

Our mothers were not educated on all of the symptoms caused by menopause like we are. (Thanks to a few good books) They only associated menopause with no periods, hot flashes and hair growing on their chins. They probably didn't know anything about estrogen, and progesterone imbalances. Meanwhile they were going emotionally wacko, having anxiety attacks, bowel problems, hair loss, etc and never realized that it could be due to menopause.

Old 09-30-2004, 07:26 AM   #6
(female)

1awesomegranny HB User

I agree with hopefully and belle...my mom never talked too much about it and I do think thats because they just didn't discuss it, and weren't taught that it could manifest in many many different ways other than hot flashes and chin hair, etc. My mom is 81 now, and shes very sympathetic to my woes, but still is of the mind set of "maybe if you got up and did something, went and volunteered, you'd feel better...". LOL I think that was their generations way, just get up and get on with life and you'll feel better eventually. She did confide in me that when she was in her late 40's that she just felt worthless like she wasn't a good wife and not a good mom, that maybe someone else would be better for my dad and I...so I'm thinking that was a BIG peri symptom but to her it was just a phase. Her way to handle everything is prayer, bless her heart. She hasn't been to a doctor in probably 18 years. She just prays and goes on with life She did have her ovaries removed at about the same time and when I asked her why, she said actually the doctor never really told her a cause, just that they needed to come out. AAARRRrrrrggghhh!!! That would have been about 1968 or so. She now has the hump from osteo and trouble getting around...its such a shame that she wasn't told what she could do to prevent that or educated about anything. They just trusted the doctors.
So, with what I have to go on, my peri is MUCH worse than hers....but who knows?
Anyway, that's my 2 cents
Conni

Old 09-30-2004, 01:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I asked my mother ( who is now deceased) how old she was when she started menopause. She said that she never went through menopause because she didn't have the time. However, my father said that she turned crazy around the age of 50 or around that time. Who knows. I wonder why they didn't talk about it.

I am 57 and have not had a period for 1 and a half years. I started having symptoms around the age of 54. So I guess that is right in line.

Old 09-30-2004, 02:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi,

My mother is now deceased also but I have asked my aunts, older cousins etc. and they told me the symptoms she had and what they went thru. My symtpoms are nothing like my mothers so far. For one my mother had fibroids and her main problem was heavy bleeding due to that and also she had hot flashes . I do remember this vaguely (I was a teen at the time and of course was only into myself and didn't have a care in the world!! ) I just turned 50 and my periods are not and have never been heavy and if anything in peri my periods have been very light in duration, 3 days tops. I have never had a hot flash that was of any significance. A few of my friends have said the same thing : that what they are going thru is very different than their mom's experience. So I don't really believe that what our mother's go thru we will. Or at least that has not been my experience.

I do agree with the other posters that it just was not talked about then and when you did hear about the "change" you heard about hot flashes mostly. I think this is a big disservice to our generation as the hot flashes are the least of it. Not to diminish those as I have friends who have a terrible time with them and I know they can be terrible...but what I mean is, it is only one of a multitude of symptoms. I just think it was not discussed or people just felt that aches and pains they were having was just "getting older" and they suffered through it without talking about it. I am glad we all do not do that as I think it helps to get support and not feel alone thru all this.

rmc

Old 09-30-2004, 02:14 PM   #9

Z'sMom HB User

I originally found this site seeking information/relief for my mother who has been going thru menopause for 10+ years...and probably perio-meno for another 4-5 years before that. She doesn't like to "talk" about it but finally understood that I wanted to help...and to keep this from being the continuing issue it is between her & my Dad. (She won't 'fess up to the Dr. so how can she get help?! )

Much to my surprise I found out that all the symptoms I have can be attributed to perio-meno, after long sessions of testing with a rheumatologist, neurologist, nutritionist, OBGYN, general practitioner, etc.

Knowing what I do now, I recognize that my Mom was in perio for quite a while. As she is still struggling, I don't expect to have an easy time of it. On the other hand, my sister has NO perio symptoms and she's 2 years older than I am (38).

This site is such a lifesaver for me...I have nightsweats/hotflashes & insomnia/nightterrors under control at the moment. I'm still seeking helpful solutions (for me) for the emotional issues but have worked my way out of the depressive state I WAS in.

Old 09-30-2004, 04:01 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Conni (1Awesomegranny) you are right about our mother's generation believing that "work" was the cure to alllllllllll ailments. I remember when I started having panic attacks, I was home raising my youngest child at that time, and my mother in law continuously kept locating jobs in the newspaper for me. She felt that a job would cure my panic attacks. Shortly afterward the doctor diagnosed me with IBS.

Old 10-01-2004, 05:30 AM   #11
(female)

1awesomegranny HB User

Hopefully...I had to chuckle at your post, not because of your problems, but because at least once a week my mom is telling me to "go to the hospital over by you and volunteer....join some of the singles groups at church, just get out more!...etc" I already have a job (thank God or that I'm sure would be on her list too). I know she means well and I just agree with her and I know she advises me out of love and concern. A thought came to me also...I remember many many times growing up these two phrases..."Idle minds are the devils workshop" and "Busy hands are happy hands!" It's just common to their generation I think that they have that outlook. I also remember many times being told "just go to school, you'll feel better" when I had a cold or cramps or some minor ailment. But sometimes, when I'm just a "little" symptomatic, getting busy and getting my mind off it helps for a while, so who knows? LOL Maybe your IBS flared up because your MIL was stressing you about getting a job!!! LOL Oh my, they mean well. My mom's new thing is getting me a man...now that I've been divorced for a while she's been praying that maybe God will send a good one my way....I told her I didn't think God appreciated those kinds of prayer...LOL I'm just thankful she's not ambulatory enough to get on the bus and go hunt one up for me!!! Holy Moly!!!
Have a great day!
Conni

Old 10-01-2004, 03:34 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Conni your post has me chuckling....Does your mom know how to "order" you a man via the internet LOL? For your sake I hope she doesn't I know people who have met and married their cyber sweethearts! Shhhhhh....don't tell your mom what I just said.

Yes, that generation really believe that hard work cures everything from ingrown toe nails to arthritis. Although trying to stay busy does keep you a bit distracted, but it's quite difficult to take your mind off mood swings, anxiety, and panic attacks by working or volunteering your time.

I know that the women from that generation must have spoken to each other about the woes of perimenopause and menopause (listed under the general heading of female problems) because of some of the "old wives" remedies that have been suggested (various teas, soaking in epsom salt, heating pads, hot water bottles, wearing more clothes, soups etcs.). I remember being told that having a baby would eliminate menstrual cramps......now that little tibbit must have come from a man?

Thank God for the internet and this board with all the wonderful women who take time to encourage and support one another. We don't have to suffer silently or drown our woes in work.

Last edited by Hopefully; 10-01-2004 at 03:38 PM.

Old 10-02-2004, 07:59 AM   #13

cloverberry HB User

If I asked my mother probably wouldn't admit that she ever went through menopause I remember when she went through menopause she got such a big belly on her and I've gotten real fat even though I haven't been eating all that much more. Now it seems like I'm losing some. If you can find a friend or co worker to talk to if your mother won't talk about it. If you can find an older person who went through it already try to talk to her.

Old 10-02-2004, 11:02 AM   #14
(female)

1awesomegranny HB User

Hopefully...I was just thinking how LUCKY I was that my mom isn't computer savvy....oh holy terrors!!! She'd be on there on every site finding me a man, they'd be calling my house and standing at my door and emailing me....and I can see her sweet innocent face right now..."what? what did I do?"....aaarrrggghhhh!!!!! And I agree about the "female" discussions, I think one of my first bouts of cramps was helped by a hot water bottle so they did discuss and they did their best with the knowledge they had, far be it from a doctor back then actually explaining anything to them, cause you know in their eyes the dumb ol women probably wouldn't understand anyway, poor things....just like with my mom's surgery, I truly don't think the doctor told her why, she just trusted him. Yuk Like you said, thank God for these boards and any other place that women can go to educate themselves and share experiences.
Cloverberry...I too have a big ol fat tummy...I'm prone to carry weight in the middle anyway but the last year has piled a good 15 lbs on and mostly in my middle, **** I look like a budda woman!!! I too am not eating more, guess its time to up the exercise and take stock of what I am eating and make sure I get more fruits and veggies instead of pepsi and chocolate...<sigh>
Have a good day y'all!!!
Conni

Old 10-02-2004, 04:16 PM   #15

virtous HB User

I have a lot of weight in the middle too. I carrying more weight there, than any other place on my body. I had said that I will have to start doing some stomach crunches and eating right.

Closed Thread