It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2004, 06:36 PM   #1
(female)

rugrats4 HB User
Chest Pain

Hi All,
First I must start by telling you that I have been reading many of the posts on this board and I'm starting to think that maybe just maybe I'm not dying!
I do have a question. It seems like I"m not the only one who experiences chest pains. I would love to hear from those of you that do; chest pain is such a broad description and I'd like to know if we are experiencing somewhat of the same type of pain. I'm having my period this week and I'm still trying to talk myself out of thinking that I might be having a heart attack!
I'm 39 yrs old, my periods are getting MUCH heavier, first two days are drenchers! They're about 21 days apart (used to be @28-30) everything aches, I'm tired...and as you know the list goes on!!!!!!!
Most of my chest pain is either directly in the middle of my chest (which will hurt to press on it) the other spot is around the middle of my collar bone about four inches down from there, my left shoulder hurts and it also feels like someone is sqeezing my bicep in my left arm. Lifting my arm up does not hurt but if I stand still and stretch down it does. For the last three days the pain has been constant, and I have also been feeling sharp stabbing pains in the vincinity of the middle of my left side of the chest, I have pain under my left breast, right in the middle (not the breast itself but the ribcage under it)...sry this is so long...I could go on and on!!! Hope all of this makes sense (trying to type before hubby sees what I'm up to!!) Anyway I would really love to hear your "chest pain" symptoms, experiences. Thanks for listening to me and I apologize for the lengthly post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2004, 06:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
Re: Chest Pain

Gee, I really think you should see your doctor just to rule out something more serious. I still have my periods but the only think I notice is that fluttery feeling sometimes, but never pain.

Best to check with your doctor to be sure. Good luck!

Old 11-05-2004, 07:24 PM   #3
(female)

Nance77 HB User
Cool Re: Chest Pain

Hi, I am 46, will be 47 soon...Chest pain was one of the first things that sent me to the doctor 2 yrs ago...They did bloodwork, tests, etc. and said everything was normal..No problem with my heart or anything else..At the time, she told me it was fibromyalgia, but now, with all the other symptoms that I have experienced since then, and also the problem with my periods being irregular, first lighter and shorter, than heavier and longer, I am beginning to think that I dont have fibro at all, that it was the beginning for me of peri menopause...My chest pain was kind of in the middle of my chest, not a sharp pain, but a soreness or tightness, and went into my middle back and shoulders...It would come and go every few months and last for 2-3 days.....I havent had it for awhile, as I now have all new symptoms to concentrate on, lol, but it could come back anytime i guess...
If you havent been to a doctor, I would go get checked just to be sure though...Take Care

Old 11-05-2004, 07:29 PM   #4
(female)

rugrats4 HB User

Thanks Dianek, I sometimes feel like I need lots of luck!! I did go to a Dr. but it has been a little over a year, I had similar pains then, not nearly as intense, they seem to be getting worse. After blood work, ultrasound EKG he informed me that I was a healthy female! My husband thinks I'm losing it, prior to the last two years the only time I ever went to the Dr was when I was pregnant (4 times!) So I have been trying to tell him I'm not making this up, something is wrong, he thinks I'm just being a hypocondriac!! (even after I remind him that in the 15 yrs we've been married I've never gone to the dr except the OB\GYN!!) oops sry...I digressed there! Back to what I was saying, the Dr made me feel foolish, needless to say I haven't been back, between him and the hubby I've just learned to keep my mouth shut!! But this is truly starting to bother me. Thanks for listening and the reply

Old 11-05-2004, 07:34 PM   #5
(female)

rugrats4 HB User

Nance,

I've actually thought about Fibro too, but it seems like my hormonal cycle is the key. My pain is there about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks a month. Believe it or not about a week 1/2 before my period is when I feel my best, then a couple of days before my period it all falls apart and stays that way for about 2 1/2 weeks!
Thanks for your reply! I know I really should go to the Doctor, think I need to find a lady this time!

Old 11-06-2004, 12:33 AM   #6
(female)

Laura_45 HB User

I've experienced a LOT of muscle aches and pains throughout my experience including what I would call chest wall muscle pain, just like I used to get when I was younger. You breathe in real deep, then there's this stabbing, achey-type pain and then it goes away.

What worries me about your description is the left arm pain. I'm sure you are familiar with the warning signs of heart attack and I don't know if they make you concerned. If you are worried, you should definitely pay a visit to your Dr. Just my 2cents.

Laura

Old 11-06-2004, 05:49 PM   #7
(female)

captain14 HB User

Well you are not alone...the same pains you are describing sent me to the dr for a full physical and bloodwork and to the er once. Right before I turned 39 I thought I was having a gallblader attack and took myself to the dr. Had the sonogram and my gallbladder was fine. After that everything went downhill. It started as a numbness in my left arm and shoulder. It felt like I had to rub it consantly. Then over a few months it became an ache across my upper back and down only my left arm. Once in awhile I would have a stabbing pain in the center of my chest that would last a few seconds. Also under my left breast would hurt. This would last 2 to 3 weeks of the month. Only the week I had my period would I feel good. Like you I have many other symptoms but these just scared me. My dr also said I am very healthy and if I wasn't having any pain on exertion then it couldn't be my heart. But your head thinks something else so I would have constant anxiety attacks when it would happen. For me I took myself off bcp which I had been taking for 12 years. I started taking alot of vitamins and exercising. The best advice was from Andrea on these boards to breath through the anxiety and to know this to shall pass. Sorry this is so long but I know how scared I am every time it happens so I just wanted to tell you "you are not alone." Though it is always a good idea to get it checked out. Bye, Maura

Old 11-07-2004, 02:43 PM   #8

amg1985 HB User

Hi- I too am 39 and deal with frequent chest pain. After a primary care visit, two Cardiologists visists because I didn't believe the first one I finally have a diagnosis. It's somewhat common in perimenopause and is call Costochondritis. Feel just like a heart condition and has made me want to run to the ER many, many times! I am now taking anti-inflamatory medication that seems to be helping. It's worth checking out with your doctor though just to rule out anything more serious. But it is comforting to know that not all chest pains mean a heart attack... especially at only 39!!

Old 11-07-2004, 06:19 PM   #9
(female)

AliR HB User

I feel like I could be reading about myself. I have experienced the chest pain, achy left arm and shoulder, nausea, stabbing pain under left breast, whole body aches, very heavy/long periods(I mean like 10days long!) etc. I am also just 39. I have had all sorts of heart and blood tests. Everything is FINE. My dr. does think it is somehow related to perimenopause made worse by all the anxiety I am feeling because I don't know what's happening. It's great to know that I'm not the only one feeling this way. Although I wouldn't wish these crappy feelings on anyone. Hope you feel better.

Old 11-09-2004, 12:18 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi,

I just read this thread and I have had the same feelings off and on over the years. Costochodritis was also mentioned to me as the one person said in her post and it does involve the chest wall. I think that if you talk it over with your doctor (and yes a female doctor I think is a good idea) you will feel better.

Another person said within this thread that the anxiety makes it all worse and it is true...when that is happening, I think I make it worse by tensing up and then it exaggerates it. Anxiety can really do a lot of things. As Andrea on this board said and another person mentioned, breathing deeply when one is anxious like that about a symptom does help.

Thanks for this thread as it reminds me that these twinges and such are normal for us all at this time.

rmc

Closed Thread