It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2004, 11:15 AM   #1
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 144
catluvr4 HB User
Those hormones are driving me nuts..

Since my last period, I have been weepy and tired. Last night, (day 13 since my last period) I started cramping. This morning, I still felt kind of sluggish. Took one of those estroven fsh tests which showed fsh in the normal range. Then bang, mid-morning, a huge panic attack washed over me for no reason at all. It's better now, but what happened there? Did my estrogen take a big dive or something?

For goodness sake, I'm three months away from my 50th birthday. Should things not start to calm down a bit. I have dental cleaning appointment early in the morning, and I really don't want to go since I feel so anxious again.

Thanks for letting me vent again.

Cat
__________________
=^..^= Have you kissed you cat today? =^..^=

 
Old 11-07-2004, 11:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,153
molly123 HB User
Re: Those hormones are driving me nuts..

Hi Cat,
What was your FSH reading from this test? Have you ever had it done by a dr. and had a comparison made? Curious if this Estroven FSH test is worth buying...

My last FSH was 78.4 - think anything over 30.0 or 40.0 is menopause.

molly

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 11-07-2004, 06:46 PM   #3
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 144
catluvr4 HB User
Re: Those hormones are driving me nuts..

Molly, the test does not give a number. A single line indicates a normal FSH, and two lines are suppose to indicate an elevated FSH. It claims to be 99 percent accurate. I don't think it would hurt if you want to try it.

I can't get my doctor to run any hormone tests right now because of all the hormone fluctuations. And I just wanted to get an idea where I was.
Cat
__________________
=^..^= Have you kissed you cat today? =^..^=

 
Old 11-08-2004, 01:55 AM   #4
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 133
heitara HB User
Re: Those hormones are driving me nuts..

Cat, darling

I'm fifty already and my hormones have no intention of giving me a break, or so it seems. I'm having my period right now, I feel drained out, sleepy, achy and very anxious at the same time. My blood pressure has been very low for the past weeks and that worsens the feeling of dizziness and tireness. The pmsing has been dreadful, it seems I'm developing a panic attack at appointed times, namely shortly before lunch. Along with stomach cramps. Isn't it crazy?
Don't worry and be patient..it will go away. Your dental cleaning can wait until you feel better and you WILL feel better in a couple of days, after your period has gone/come/ showed a sign, lol. I had to go to the dentist during my nasty pmsing for a temporary bridge, so I couldn't postpone it. I was feeling so anxious I could bang my head on the walls, during the first five minutes I thought I would have run away with the bib hanging under my chin but after a bit it got better and I relaxed. Maybe the idea of having somebody close to a doctor available during my anxiety attack helped a bit...

Hang in there, sweetie. We'll win over the nasty Hormonal Army which is attacking our system...
__________________
Carla

"I'm not young enough to know everything". O. Wilde

 
Old 11-08-2004, 12:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 862
rmc12 HB User
Re: Those hormones are driving me nuts..

Hi Cat,

I empathize. This anxiety in peri is the worst symptom of all I feel. As you know I turned 50 this year and for me this year has been the worst with the anxiety but I do know it is all about peri and so somehow that helps. I am on day 9 or 10 after my last period and this morning woke up to cramps!! I sometimes think when it is ovulation time (which this could be since I seem to get my periods earlier) I have a worse time and some cramp type stuff. I did get anxious about it and then tried to calm myself down about it and it helped. But it is hard to do I know.

I think you are right in that the hormones just are all over the place and suddenly when that happens we get these symptoms and sometimes worse than other times.

This week I am very anxious about every little thing and feeling panicy about everything, with thoughts that I know are irrational and worry that is irrational. SO believe me I know what you are going thru and we all do.

I think "venting" helps and so it was good you posted. it doesn't change things I know but hopefully it will help you know others are going thru it too and are there for you.

Hang in there. Hope the day gets better for you.

Take care.

rmc

 
Old 11-09-2004, 10:44 AM   #6
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 144
catluvr4 HB User
Re: Those hormones are driving me nuts..

Heitara and RMC,

Thanks for your input. I did cancel my dental appointment. My hormones are all over the place; my body and mind don't even have a chance to adapt before something else happens. Since this panic attack started, I have been very nauseas; that lasted about two days. Today, the panic attacks are gone only to be replaced by this intense fear again. This is just like early this year when things started to get really bad. Then things calmed down enough so that I was able to function again...more or less. At the end of September, I was even thinking about taking some classes again. And then in October, things took a turn for the worse again.

Back in January, I went to see an accupuncturist; it helped a little, but the sessions were to expensive. She said I have low adrenals and sold me a bunch of stuff including adrenal support. But the adrenal support just makes me more anxious so I no longer take it.

I can see how in the old days women ended up in mental institutions. If it were not for this board, I probably be in an institution myself. I keep reading all these books, but how does one balance something that fluctuates faster than one can even think. Took one half of the smallest dose of xanax this morning, and it calmed me down and stopped the fears quite a bit. But it also makes me feel a bit tired.

My stomache has been cramping and has too much gas, and the muscles in my upper back are really tight even though I exerise them. My diet is basically a diabetic diet since I have become super sensitive to any carbs. So, here I'm doing everything right ( I think), and I feel like I'm dying. Need to pay some bills, but I'll catch up with you wonderful ladies soon.

Cat
__________________
=^..^= Have you kissed you cat today? =^..^=

 
Old 11-13-2004, 09:12 AM   #7
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 126
Moonrize HB User
Re: Those hormones are driving me nuts..

I take half a xanax too,sometimes it helps.I find I often feel better in the evenings.I am driving everyone nuts around here trying to figure out whats wrong with me! All I know is,it ain't in my head,that's for sure!

 
Old 11-13-2004, 10:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 2,124
ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: Those hormones are driving me nuts..

Quote:
Originally Posted by catluvr4
Heitara and RMC,

Thanks for your input. I did cancel my dental appointment. My hormones are all over the place; my body and mind don't even have a chance to adapt before something else happens. Since this panic attack started, I have been very nauseas; that lasted about two days. Today, the panic attacks are gone only to be replaced by this intense fear again. This is just like early this year when things started to get really bad. Then things calmed down enough so that I was able to function again...more or less. At the end of September, I was even thinking about taking some classes again. And then in October, things took a turn for the worse again.

Back in January, I went to see an accupuncturist; it helped a little, but the sessions were to expensive. She said I have low adrenals and sold me a bunch of stuff including adrenal support. But the adrenal support just makes me more anxious so I no longer take it.

I can see how in the old days women ended up in mental institutions. If it were not for this board, I probably be in an institution myself. I keep reading all these books, but how does one balance something that fluctuates faster than one can even think. Took one half of the smallest dose of xanax this morning, and it calmed me down and stopped the fears quite a bit. But it also makes me feel a bit tired.

My stomache has been cramping and has too much gas, and the muscles in my upper back are really tight even though I exerise them. My diet is basically a diabetic diet since I have become super sensitive to any carbs. So, here I'm doing everything right ( I think), and I feel like I'm dying. Need to pay some bills, but I'll catch up with you wonderful ladies soon.

Cat
w\\
Wow Cat! You and I are in the same peri boat. Honey, I had to get on Prozac. Do not try to increase ur adrenaline right now, especially if u r going through the panic stage. It will probably make everything worse. Right now ur body is going a mile a mintue, trying to compensate the hormone inbalance which of course if going to effect your thyroid, pituatary, hypothalmus and of course the adrenaline glands. R ur periods still regular or do u still have them?

Andrea

 
Old 11-14-2004, 07:13 PM   #9
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 144
catluvr4 HB User
Re: Those hormones are driving me nuts..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrize
I take half a xanax too,sometimes it helps.I find I often feel better in the evenings.I am driving everyone nuts around here trying to figure out whats wrong with me! All I know is,it ain't in my head,that's for sure!
Moonrize, I too feel better in the evenings, but not right now. It's the 2nd half of my cycle, and I feel depressed and weepy. The progesterone phase has always done that to me. No, you are not nuts, and it's not in your head. A friend of mine mentioned the other day that perimenopause does not last forever. If it did, there would be a lot of mature, crazy women running around, LOL. So, I try to remember what she said.
Cat
__________________
=^..^= Have you kissed you cat today? =^..^=

 
Old 11-14-2004, 07:23 PM   #10
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 144
catluvr4 HB User
Re: Those hormones are driving me nuts..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainfante
w\\
Wow Cat! You and I are in the same peri boat. Honey, I had to get on Prozac. Do not try to increase ur adrenaline right now, especially if u r going through the panic stage. It will probably make everything worse. Right now ur body is going a mile a mintue, trying to compensate the hormone inbalance which of course if going to effect your thyroid, pituatary, hypothalmus and of course the adrenaline glands. R ur periods still regular or do u still have them?

Andrea
Andrea, to tell you the truth, I have no idea why she put me on that adrenal stuff. Even on the better days, it has never done a thing for me other than make me crazy. Sometimes with the panic attacks, even the Celexa does not work. Doctor said in a way that was good, LOL. She feels that if nothing really works, then it's hormone related. Thus, once they settle down, I should have a peaceful life. I hope she is right since she is one of the best psychiatrist's around. Most of her patients are women.

Last month, there were about six hours one day that were awesome. My whole body and soul were at peace and balanced. At that point, nothing in this world could have shaken me up. And I want that feeling back.

My periods are no longer regular. Last one I had was after 64 days, and then it was very light and watery. I'm on day 19 or 20 right now, and I still feel the hormones doing their thing.

Cat
__________________
=^..^= Have you kissed you cat today? =^..^=

 
Old 11-15-2004, 03:39 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 901
Hopefully HB User
Re: Those hormones are driving me nuts..

Quote:
Originally Posted by catluvr4
Andrea, to tell you the truth, I have no idea why she put me on that adrenal stuff. Even on the better days, it has never done a thing for me other than make me crazy. Sometimes with the panic attacks, even the Celexa does not work. Doctor said in a way that was good, LOL. She feels that if nothing really works, then it's hormone related. Thus, once they settle down, I should have a peaceful life. I hope she is right since she is one of the best psychiatrist's around. Most of her patients are women.

Last month, there were about six hours one day that were awesome. My whole body and soul were at peace and balanced. At that point, nothing in this world could have shaken me up. And I want that feeling back.

My periods are no longer regular. Last one I had was after 64 days, and then it was very light and watery. I'm on day 19 or 20 right now, and I still feel the hormones doing their thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catluvr4
Cat



I'm glad to hear that someone else didn't do well on those SSRI antidepressants. Sometimes the doctors make you feel like you're the only one who didn't respond well to a certain medication. SSRIs are not the cure all for everyone. I also could not tolerate them...I tried Wellbutrin for awhile and felt totally spacey, but they helped with the panic attacks (although it left me feeling like I had chronic fatigue syndrome).

Last edited by Hopefully; 11-21-2004 at 01:54 PM.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Grand mal - driving? sarahfhug Epilepsy 7 04-26-2010 08:09 PM
random muscle aches with fatigue driving me nuts alpar80 Open to All Other Health Topics 2 03-01-2009 12:15 PM
Is anyone afraid of driving or hitting someone? Sillygrl Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) 7 09-06-2006 10:55 AM
Does hormones cause bruising? Hopefully Menopause 5 08-09-2006 07:35 PM
For those with info on Kidney probs....and brown spotting (diff subject) 1awesomegranny Menopause 5 04-13-2005 05:57 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Titchou (71), STLouisgal (30), WhistleDixie (23), missy222 (20), irisrose (19), jojopooh (19), solofelix (17), jw90 (10), georgina77 (9), CrazyLife414 (8)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1164), MSJayhawk (997), Apollo123 (896), Titchou (832), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (757), ladybud (745), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:15 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!