It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2004, 07:40 PM   #1
(female)

JustChilling HB User
What are symptoms of Perimenopause?

I just turned 40 and I didn't even know that there was anything called perimenopause until I came to this board. What are the symptoms? Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2004, 09:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User
Re: What are symptoms of Perimenopause?

This is another thread about listing your symptoms that might help you.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=182554[/url]

My initial symptoms were hip and leg aches and pains, ankle swelling, irregular periods, heavy periods, sleep disturbance...all of these graduated to more intense symptoms such as anxiety, panic attacks, depression, itching, headaches, ear aches, tingling sensation in my face, internal jitters, feeling spacey/lightheaded/dizzy, vertigo...I could go on, but I'll stop here.

What are you experiencing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2004, 11:10 PM   #3

Anneke_Canada HB User

Wow Hopefully, you sound just like me! Until I discovered this board I thought I was seriously ill. I have the dizziness and vertigo daily. I didn't know earaches were part of Perimenopause....I have that too.
I am 54 and still having my periods on a regular basis. Will I ever feel like my old self again?? I get so frustrated and depressed

Old 12-13-2004, 11:24 AM   #4
(female)

JustChilling HB User

I was wondering what the verdigo feelings were all about! What a trip! Wow! I guess I really have to face reality I am in perimenopausal stage. Tired, feel spacey, verdigo feelings, some earpain, haven't had a normal period for over 2 mos, either I am freezing or I am sweating bullets!

Yup - yup going through perimeno!

Old 12-13-2004, 03:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Anneke, I'm 44 and have been going through perimenopause for years. Looking back I see where I had some symptoms at the age of 35, but I was 42 when the panic attacks, and depression came about. I've gotten alot better, but I'm still not back to my old self. Thank God for Twanger and other women who have posted to let us know that things do get better, and life can be good if not better after menopause.

JustChilling, I almost forgot about those deep down to the bone chills. That was one of my initial peri symptom. The week before my period, when I use to have them on a regular basis, I'd have horrible chills. They would wake me up at night because I would be shaking in my bed. Socks, blanket, additional clothing helped some, but the chills would eventually subside. It wasn't until this year that I started having those wretched heatwaves (hot flashes). I've also developed high blood pressure after having very low blood pressure all my life (us to be about 109/64). I had not idea that estrogen controlled so much in my body.

It does get better, it will get better, the best is yet to come .

Old 12-16-2004, 02:52 PM   #6

jane777 HB User

hi, i am 39 and have been under my doc now for 4 years, with all sorts of symptoms, i have had all sorts of test done blood,cameras, tablets etc,all came back normal,just some of my symptoms are those cold to the bone chills i have these all day and night, mood swings,bloating,dizzy,etc etc etc, just this last month i asked my doc could this be peri menopause, he said he will do more blood test but if it is peri it will not show up in blood test but he also wanted to test other things thyroid,blood count,liver,the test come back last week and i am in menopause my hormones were so low he said they would not expect to see them this low in me for another ten years,said sorry to tell you but you have hit menopause ten years to soon he has put me on hrt but to soon to know if they help or not so if i were you i would get blood test done.

Old 12-17-2004, 04:00 PM   #7
(female)

Bier HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChilling
I just turned 40 and I didn't even know that there was anything called perimenopause until I came to this board. What are the symptoms? Thanks in advance!
I just came from the Thyroid Disorder Message Board. I am 53. I've been there and done this already. My perimenopausal symptoms showed up at age 45 and continue to this day. However, since I have been without a period for over a year now, I am officially menopausal. I have had or currently have at least 80% of the following possible symptoms:
1. menstrual irregularity
2. Hot flashes and/or flushes; night sweats
3. Dry vagina
4. Insomnia and/or weird dreams
5. Sensory disturbances (vision, smell, taste)
6. Funny sensations in the head
7. Lower back pain (crushing of vertebrae)
8. Waking in the early hours of the morning
9. Onset of new allergies or sensitivities
10. Fluctuations in sexual desire and response
11. Annoying itching of the vulva
12. Sudden bouts of bloat
13. Chills or periods of extreme warmth
14. Indigestion, flatulence, gas pains
15. Rogue chin whiskers
16. Overnight appearance of long, fine, facial hair
17. Bouts of rapid heartbeat
18. Crying for no reason
19. Aching ankles, knees, wrists or shoulders
20. Waking up with sore heels
21. Thinning scalp and underarm hair
22. Graying scalp and pubic hair
23. Mysterious appearance of bruises
24. Sudden inability to breathe (air hunger)
25. Frequent urination
26. Urinary leakage (when coughing/sneezing)
27. *****ly or tingly hands with swollen veins
28. Lightheadedness, dizzy spells, vertigo
29. Weight gain and in unusual places
30. Sudden and inappropriate bursts of anger
31. Sensitivity to being touched (touch impairment)
32. Inexplicable panic attacks
33. Tendency to cystitis (inflammation of the bladder)
34. Vaginal or urethral infections
35. Anxiety and loss of self-confidence
36. Depression that cannot be shaken off
37. Painful intercourse
38. Migraine headaches
39. Easily wounded feelings
40. Crawly skin (formication)
41. Disturbing memory lapses
42. ankle and leg edema

I am also Hypothyroid, which occurs with great frequency in women of my age and the symptoms of this condition overlap. Lots of fun ... Not.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bier For This Useful Post:
mbockus (06-29-2012)
Old 12-17-2004, 06:17 PM   #8
(female)

surefine HB User
Unhappy Re: What are symptoms of Perimenopause?

I'm wondering if i'm going through Menopause.. I have awful night sweats every night >I'm 40 . My period is still ok but my nerves are shot hummmmmmm I wonder if this is Menopause or is it perimenoapause . and if this is just starting < i can't imagine it getting any worse , I mean the edgie feeling and the nightly sweating i do. Am i at my peak???

Last edited by surefine; 12-17-2004 at 06:20 PM.

Old 12-18-2004, 08:29 AM   #9

tape7 HB User

I am 48 and started having symptoms of peri-menopause at around age 42. I didn't know anything about it either. I just started having real heavy periods with clots and very painful cramps,and really bad heart palpitations, and was worried because both grandmothers had uterine cancer. I had a DNC done around age 43, and everything was fine, so they put me on Prempro {hormone replacement} and that has stopped the periods altogether. I don't really like taking it because it can be dangerous, but if I don't take it, I have such terrible heart irregularities that I can't function. When I do take it, it gives me headaches every day, but I'd rather put up with those than the heart irregularities. I don't understand why peri-menopause happens if the change of life is suppose to be a natural thing. My doctor said that the heavy bleeding that comes with peri menopause is the reason so many women end up with hysterectomys. Does anyone else out there have the problem with the heart?

Old 12-18-2004, 09:06 AM   #10
(female)

Moonrize HB User

One of the most common symptoms of peri/meno is heart palpitations!I have had 2 ekg's in the past 6 months,all normal.My heart would give a few extra fast beats,would make me cough,and I got scared,but all was fine.Probably 90% of the ladies on here have experienced this also..

Old 12-18-2004, 09:48 AM   #11

tape7 HB User

I would say it's good to know others have the palpitations too, but that sounds kind of funny, it's just that when I am having mine real bad, it feels like my heart is tumbling, skipping, about to stop and it makes it hard for me to breath when it does it continuously for awhile. I am on Lopressor,which helps with fast heart rate and it's suppose to help with the skipping too, but the main thing that seems to help is the Prempro. I know I can't take Prempro for the rest of my life though, so I do hope this straightens out in a few short years.

Old 12-19-2004, 08:02 PM   #12
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

Hi Tape! Welcome to the peri club! New members are welcomed daily! Heart palps is one of my symptoms. All started for me at 41. I am 43, will be 44 in May. Before peri, I probibly had 2 palps in my whole life before peri! They are scary! I suggest if you are not taking magnisium supplement that you start. The palps should almost stop with the magnisium. You might still get them on occasion. I had one this am at church. Our church is huge and I get anxious just walking into that place. Magnisium should do wonders for you. You can do a search on this board for magnisium for palps and a whole lot of info should come up for you.

Old 01-27-2005, 09:01 AM   #13

kilroy2730 HB User

Hi, all.
I'm 39 and I've been having the following symptoms for several months:

lower back pain (this is getting worse every month and I've missed work because of it
mood swings/emotional
depression (I usually get depressed around the holidays, but I haven't bounced back yet this year)
no sex drive
forgetfulness
no nerves/patience
not sleeping at night (3-4 hours on some nights)
fatigue (even when I get a full night's sleep)
occasional night sweats
I do tend to get cold more often now - normally, I'm so warm that I freeze everyone by keeping the heater down so low!

My husband says I act like I don't care about anything any more and he says my mood swings are starting to affect our marriage....

I haven't had a period in 2 months, but my periods have been so light for years, I didn't think much of this - that or I thought it was just because I'm so depressed.

Does this sound like perimenopause? I go to my gyn late next month and am taking my list of symptoms with me and ask about some kind of test.
Thanks!!!

Last edited by kilroy2730; 01-31-2005 at 07:11 AM.

Old 01-29-2005, 01:35 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

I am new to this board and would love to know what your dr. said. I approached mine about pmdd,as I feel I met most of the criteria, and he looked at me like I was crazy! I guess I will have to wait until my summer visit to my gyn. I am 37 and this last year has been really hard....I am assuming and hoping it has to be perimenopause, as I must be losing my mind if it is not.

Closed Thread