It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2004, 12:30 PM   #1
(female)

newbie5 HB User
2 questions-muscle twitches/birth control pills?

Hello, I have two seperate questions, but I will post them together for anyone that can offer some insight.

First, does anyone else get muscle twitches/jerks during this time in their lives?

Second, what are the benefits of going on low dose birth control pills during perimenopause? I have an appointment next week with a gyno due to two cysts on my left ovary. I had a partial hysterectomy years ago, but still have my ovaries. I didn't know if birth control pills would help with peri symptoms such as hot flashes, anxiety (terrible!), depression, etc., or if they are only used to regulate periods (which I don't have).

Any help with one or both of these questions would be greatly appreciated! I am 41 and new to this phase in my life (and not enjoying it too much!).

Thanks so much!

Old 12-23-2004, 03:23 PM   #2
(female)

Nance77 HB User
Re: 2 questions-muscle twitches/birth control pills?

Hi..I will be 47 in a few months, and have the muscle twitches off and on...Have had them for a few years now..I have read that alot of women in peri menopause have them, and its really nothing to worry about..
I just started a low dose BC pill to regulate my periods, but they also seem to help me with the night sweats, bloating, ovary pain, and all around crappy feelings..I have been on them for only 2 mos, but feel much better overall then when I was not taking them..
Take Care
Nancy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2004, 03:47 PM   #3

kittenlover HB User
Re: 2 questions-muscle twitches/birth control pills?

I wish I had known that twitches were part of peri.

I had a dear friend die of ALS when I was in my late 30's. One of the symptoms is muscle twitching. I was sooooooooooooooo worried I had ALS...had I known that anxiety, worry about health AND twitches were all peri symptoms I could haVe saved myself a ton of grief.
After a visit with my doc and a neurologist....well...and now I am 47....the twitches have subsided. I think between stress and hormonal flux....

BC pills can help with cysts because if the dose is high enough, you stop ovulation. Be wary of taking the ultra low dose pills because my gyn told me she's had ladies get pregnant on these...they are soooo low dose they don't prevent the ovulation, which is what you need to stop the cysts.

Good luck...

Closed Thread