It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2005, 05:44 PM   #1
(female)

serbocro HB User
Peri/Thyroid??

I just recently learned from my ENT that I have three tiny nodules on my thyroid and will have an ultrasound on it next week. But I also have been experiencing my periods coming on day 21 or like today-- day 16!! My gyn says I'm too young for peri-- I am 44. Could my thyroid be affecting my cycle?? My sister said she experienced frequent cycles before her menopause started. I'm so confused. Is it peri? Is it thyroid? Are there any specific tests I should ask for? She checked my hormone levels about two yrs. ago but it was normal.--I also had an ultrasound in sept. which found a small fluid filled cyst on ovary that was supposed to absorb on its own-- whatever that means. Could that be causing a frequent period?

Last edited by serbocro; 01-06-2005 at 05:58 PM.

Old 01-06-2005, 05:56 PM   #2

kittenlover HB User
Re: Peri/Thyroid??

Nodules on your thyroid need to be investigated....but having them doesn't indicate whether you are hyper or hypo thyroid...hypo slows everything down, so your cycles would be further apart or non-existent and hyper means things speed up, so you might have them closer together.
My suspicion is that it is peri...
at 44 you are NOT too young to be going through perimenopause. I think I was 44 when mine were at 24 days for a year, then a year or so of totally, perfectly spaced 28 days and this december it was 2 weeks late.

I hope it is nothing serious with your thyroid.
Post back to let us know how you make out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 05:08 AM   #3
(female)

BeckyW5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by serbocro
I just recently learned from my ENT that I have three tiny nodules on my thyroid and will have an ultrasound on it next week. But I also have been experiencing my periods coming on day 21 or like today-- day 16!! My gyn says I'm too young for peri-- I am 44.
Since Peri is now recognized as the period before menopause, beginning as much as 7-10 years before the 'real thing', why on earth would a GYN say 44 is too young?

I'm coming up on 41 and firmly believe I started having little, infrequent symptoms like 'warm flushes' and little palpitations as much as 3 years ago. When I started having some heartrate/sleep/anxiety problems a few months ago, and asked my regular doc if it could be hormone/premenopause related...the first thing he said was 'you're too young for that'...but to his credit,he was half kidding. Did a thyroid test first - normal. Then did a hormone test which was first relayed to me as 'completely normal'. But after re-examining it he told me he DOES think I may be premenopausal because the results were slightly off. I could be tested again tomorrow and they may be normal....but the roller coaster has started.

I hope your thyroid issues are benign - they most often are, and certainly you want to investigate that thoroughly, but I would go ahead and request a blood draw for hormone test. At age 44 with increasingly frequent periods,that is a perfectly reasonable request.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

BeckyW.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:16 PM   #4
(female)

serbocro HB User

Thanks for the replies-- this is a great, informative site!

Old 01-07-2005, 03:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Serbocro,
You can have nodules (I have 6) and a thyroid condition (I'm hypo on meds) and be going thru peri all at the same time. 44 isn't too young at all. You should get your thyroid level tested too. I've read that women w/ thyroid condition can have a really hard time w/peri symptoms b/c it throws your hormones out of wack even more so. I believe that's why I was so bad off last year.

Most women start experiencing peri symptoms probably in their late 30's but often don't ever make the connection that it's peri till the symptoms become unbearable. I remember having insomnia for years, dry skin, etc. - things that were manageable w/o ever thinking it was peri. When women start getting debilitating fatigue, anxiety, internal shakes, hot flashes/night sweats, heart palps, mood swings etc. etc. - symptoms that are unusual, that come on suddenly, just feeling weird, and very difficult to handle that's when we realize it's peri related - often it's confirmed by talking or posting on these boards that other women are going thru the same thing. There's really no way to test you for peri - all results will come back normal. It's when you're in actual meno (no period for at least 6 mos) that your hormones will show something.

I don't belive the thyroid is affecting your cycle at all - it's your age (getting older) - your body going thru the change that's doing it. You should expect your cycle to change the next couple of years - some mos. you may be regular, then you might skips couple of mos., etc. When you're heading into full-blown menopause that's when you start missing it for several months consecutively to the point where you don't get it at all (12 mos. is when you're in true meno).

By the way, welcome to the club!!

molly

Old 01-07-2005, 05:54 PM   #6
(female)

BeckyW5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly123
that's when we realize it's peri related - often it's confirmed by talking or posting on these boards that other women are going thru the same thing. There's really no way to test you for peri - all results will come back normal. It's when you're in actual meno (no period for at least 6 mos) that your hormones will show something.

molly
Molly, this is interesting. Remember, my periods are now pretty regularly 30 days apart and I haven't missed one.
I was just in the counselor's office today and he pulled up my hormone results since I had not clarified exactly what was 'off' about them with my regular doc. My FSH is what was low, and another number (LH I think) was low normal but he said none of the other results indicated I was 'post' menopausal, so he recommended repeating it in a couple of months. I asked if he meant to say 'perimenopausal'. He said 'no', and suggested the possibility of going to an endocrinologist. He was kinda thinking out loud, but it seemed he felt there 'could' be more to these results...he mentioned pituitary function a couple of times in the course of discussion.

My thyroid and adrenal urine tests both came back normal but I've heard the adrenal urine test is not always definitive.

Now since my sister also tested 'premenopausal' at my age, but tested normal since then, I'm getting a little confused by all this!

Any advice or clarification your can offer?
Thanks!
BeckyW

Old 01-08-2005, 12:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Becky,

If you're still getting your period and it's only 30 days apart, you're still in pre-meno stage. I remember when it started like that for me. Later, it got further apart and then sometimes it is closer again. Do you know when your mom went thru meno? That is suppose to give you a clue as to when you might. My mom went thru it at age 52 and when I turned 50, that's when I started having unbearable symptoms.

If your FSH/LH is low, you are not in meno yet. You can have all these "peri-meno" symptoms but your tests will still show up normal unless you have something else going on - that's why all this is so frustrating. Because of my peri-meno symptoms (fatigue, dizziness, bad dry eyes, etc. etc.), my GP referred me to an Endo b/c he thought it was my thyroid acting up and b/c my ultrasound showed 6 nodules. When I asked if it could be meno related, he just said "possibly." I guess they have to rule out things but in the meantime, you go from one dr. to another...

Also, the gyn who gave me a pap (age 50 - Apr 2003) asked if I wanted to go on HRT, which I didn't - asked if I was going thru meno and she said yes. But when I went to the Endo, feeling like crap in Oct. 2003 (age 50-3/4). My FSH was 26.3 and LSH was 18.5. My endo said I wasn't in meno but I should start taking Estroven - guess he saw that I was on the road to it. Of course, at that time, I didn't know the difference between the words "peri" and "meno" and the drs. use them interchangeably, which can be confusing.

About 9 mos later (age 51-1/2), my FSH shot up to 78.4 and at that time, I had already not had a period for 6 months. The range says "post-menopausal" is 23.0 - 116.3.

Sorry for such a detail post but I wanted you to get an idea on the "road to meno" that I went thru and how things can change in a fairly short time. I think you're at the beginning stages of peri. How long it will last is different for everyone. When you said your sister tested for pre-meno and now it is normal - that is why I said there is no test for peri-meno and many books have stated this too - you just get all these symptoms some bearable, some unbearable that will eventually lead you into meno. How much older is your sister and what did she go thru?

molly

Old 01-09-2005, 05:50 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

SandraM HB User

Well lets see I was only 28 when diagnosed with under active thyroid and was age 29 when they removed 80% of the thyroid and 2 of my parathyroids. I was 35 when I had a partial hysterctomy, they left the ovarys in at the time. I was 42 when I went into peri-menopause. The thyroid can have a lot to do with the early menopause as it does control your hormones. I then had my ovarys removed when I was 43. But it does sound like you need more tests on both, your hormones and your thyroid. Best to deal with the thyroid first. The thyroid is a very important gland and can have major problems if it isn't dealt with quickly if it is the thyroid. Good luck to you.

Sandra

Old 01-09-2005, 08:05 AM   #9
(female)

BeckyW5 HB User

Quote:
Hi Becky,

Sorry for such a detail post but I wanted you to get an idea on the "road to meno" that I went thru and how things can change in a fairly short time. I think you're at the beginning stages of peri. How long it will last is different for everyone. When you said your sister tested for pre-meno and now it is normal - that is why I said there is no test for peri-meno and many books have stated this too - you just get all these symptoms some bearable, some unbearable that will eventually lead you into meno. How much older is your sister and what did she go thru?

molly
Hi Molly

PLEEASE don't apologize for all the details! They are extremely helpful!!

My sister is just 2 yrs older than me, and started this 'path' at about my age. She also remembers sporadic 'little' symptoms over earlier years that she had at times of stress or sleep deprivation, but nothing lasting or alarming.

As I get closer to my period (3 days), my symptoms are elevating. Mainly more trouble relaxing/sleeping and lightheaded/dizziness/harder to concentrate...I guess the generic term for that may be 'fog' (?)

The psychiatrist I met with last week wanted to up the Paxil to 37.5, the goal being to not need anything else to sleep. I'm waiting til I go to my regular doc this week before starting that though. I still want to ask more questions about the hormone tests & the low dose birth control options.

Do you think the Estroven is helpful at all, in addition to all the other vitamins?

Thanks,
BeckyW.

Old 01-09-2005, 09:59 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Becky,
Do you have your symptoms only when you're about to get your period? If so, you're PMSing and they intensify as you start the road to meno. I assume you feel better once you have your period?

Did your psych put you on Paxil for other reasons or did your GP for your symptoms? Do you really think you need to up it? When my GP put me on Paxil CR 12.5, he asked if I wanted to see a psych. I told him I didn't need one - I wasn't 'depressed' per se - I was just sick and tired of feeling bad. I also had trouble sleeping when I was in my late 30's thru my 40's. When you have insomnia, you cannot expect to sleep like a 'normal' person again. I don't think the Paxil will help you sleep. My sister still have insomnia; I'm better now but I still have nights where I have a hard time falling asleep. Your body knows when it is sleep deprived and you will have a good night sleep ....eventually...

Yes, I really do think vitamins/supplements help. Estroven didn't do much for me - maybe I didn't give it a chance. Instead, I take Revival soy which is higher in mg and helps hot flashes - only thing is it's kind of expensive. You should get the book "Before the Change" by Anne Louis Gittleman. She lists all the vits/supplements you can take to help for specific symptoms. I really think Magnesium (500mg) bedtime helps. If you start taking this stuff, you have to be consistent about it otherwise you're wasting your money!! If I were to start all over again, I would've started taking supplements in my 40's so when I hit meno hopefully it wouldn't have been so bad for me.

molly

Old 01-10-2005, 08:28 AM   #11
(female)

BeckyW5 HB User

Quote:
Hi Becky,
Do you have your symptoms only when you're about to get your period? If so, you're PMSing and they intensify as you start the road to meno. I assume you feel better once you have your period?

Did your psych put you on Paxil for other reasons or did your GP for your symptoms?
<CLIP> When you have insomnia, you cannot expect to sleep like a 'normal' person again. I don't think the Paxil will help you sleep. My sister still have insomnia; I'm better now but I still have nights where I have a hard time falling asleep. Your body knows when it is sleep deprived and you will have a good night sleep ....eventually...

<CLIP> You should get the book "Before the Change" by Anne Louis Gittleman. She lists all the vits/supplements you can take to help for specific symptoms. I really think Magnesium (500mg) bedtime helps. If you start taking this stuff, you have to be consistent about it otherwise you're wasting your money!! If I were to start all over again, I would've started taking supplements in my 40's so when I hit meno hopefully it wouldn't have been so bad for me.

molly
Hi Again ,

For several years I had these symptoms up to a week before my period, then they'd go away. They were an 'annoyance' then. Over the last several months now, they have been starting sooner, lasting longer, more intense. It was about 2 mos ago that it got to the point that it seemed to start becoming constant...though still worst around my period. I started Paxil/Ambien Dec. 8th. I was still pretty calm in the evening and fell asleep easily on the Ambien but only for 3-4 hrs. I started my period on Dec 13th and as it was ending I started to have better days and easier sleep, less fatigue. But now I've taken a few steps back, it's even harder to fall asleep now even though my Paxil dosage was increased

The GP is the doc who put me on the Paxil and upped the dose a couple weeks ago when it appeared to be working but not well enough to sleep well yet. Then last week the Psyc said he wanted to bump it up again. I go to the GP this week and am going to review it with him before starting it. If there's a chance the BCP may provide some relief I'm not sure I want to move up the Paxil again right away...afterall, there could be a *chance* that it's causing the increased sleep problem since that is one of the side effects listed. But my sister is on a higher dose, so who knows. I don't think she ever had quite the sleep problems I'm having though. I've been very sleep deprived and feel like I should be able to lay down and sleep for weeks, but when I close my eyes, the anxiety comes.
I just know that the 'correct' therapy should be helping me sleep better by now, whether that's a higher dose, or a different med altogether.

I do have the Before the Change Book and will give the magnesium a try. I'm glad you've found a lot of help from the recommendations there and have been so willing to share and stay here even though you're much beter now.
I'm also real interested in this 'Instinct to Heal' Book which addresses anxiety/depression from a 'brain anatomy' point of view. It's very intriguing so far and I'll share what I learn from it when I finish. If there is a way to beat all this stuff without a bunch of meds, I'm all for it.

Since my mom was 54 at meno, neither my sis nor I wants to go through this stuff for 10 or more years before the 'real thing' hits.

Last edited by BeckyW5; 01-10-2005 at 08:30 AM.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:57 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Becky,
Thanks for your background info. By all means I'm not a dr., but it sounds like you're starting onto the road of meno. How long you will be, we don't know...but I have heard of some women going thru it for 10 years! yikes! Many women are on BCP pills here and since you're still getting your period, maybe it might not be a bad idea to be on it. I believe in doing whatever it takes to improve the quality of your life.

Another good book is "The Pause" - check that one out too. If I were you tho, I would start taking the peri-zappers as mentioned in the "Before the Change" book. It just seems that many of us do end up experiencing symptoms to the point where they get really bad and really hard to deal with and maybe if you start now, it won't be so bad for you later.

Hang in there, Becky....keep us posted too.

molly

Old 01-11-2005, 11:25 AM   #13
(female)

Jenette HB User

BECKYW

Thank you for posting reading your post sound so much like mine. I tried Paxil for 3 days and could not continue. My general doctor put me on a mild beta blocker instead of paxil. I turned 40 in July and life has been hell. Anxiety, heart palpations and touble sleeping.

It is nice knowing there are other people out there

Jenette

Old 01-11-2005, 08:11 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

Peri and hyperthyroid both have very similar symptoms. If you look both up on the net you will see almost the exact same list of symptoms. I would definately have the thyroid checked first since you have nodules and go from there. At your age though it definately could also be peri or a combination of both. My symptoms started about a year ago and I am almost 46. I have heard that peri symptoms begin up to 10 years before actual menopause.

Nancy

Old 01-12-2005, 08:59 AM   #15
(female)

BeckyW5 HB User

Hi there,

I'm starting to feel like I'm walking into an episode of Cheers whenever I go to the doc now....'everybody knows my name'. LOL Used to be I went once or twice a year.

Anyway, just wanted you fine ladies to know that I took your advice when I went to my GP yesterday. He concurred with the therapist on the Paxil increase. I asked about low dose birth control, he didn't seem to think it would make a heck of a lot of difference with my 'numbers', said it wouldn't hurt to try....may take a couple of months to see any results. He gave me lo-ovral and I will start it this weekend.

My temp was normal for once. My BP has come down some so I at least may be able to reduce/go off that med soon. At least the exercise is paying off in that respect.

Molly, I picked up the Magnesium yesterday. I also picked up Valerian, an herbal remedy for 'restful sleep'. I didn't take that yet though, since i started the new Paxil dose last night. I'm going to post in a separate thread to see if anyone else has experience w/ Valerian.

Take Care, Sisters!
Becky

Closed Thread