It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2005, 08:39 AM   #1
(female)

Moonrize HB User
Anyone have achy legs?

Lately the past few nights when I go to bed,from the knees down my legs ache!I haven't been doing anything unusual,no new footwear,so there is no reason for it...anyone else experience this?
My stomach is no good either,goes from a gnawing feeling,like I have to put something in it,to nausea...

Old 01-15-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User
Re: Anyone have achy legs?

I haven't experienced what you stated, but during my mild stage of perimenopause I use to have achy legs and hip pains.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2005, 03:45 PM   #3
(female)

Nance77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrize
Lately the past few nights when I go to bed,from the knees down my legs ache!I haven't been doing anything unusual,no new footwear,so there is no reason for it...anyone else experience this?
My stomach is no good either,goes from a gnawing feeling,like I have to put something in it,to nausea...

Hi..I have the achy legs also, off and on..Worse when I have done too much or when I started exercising again and wasnt used to it..
But my stomach has really been bothering me too..Nauseated for no reason, and even though I dont want to eat, I feel like I have to eat something, and most times it feels better..Also, certain foods bother me when they never did before (saucy, spicy, alot of cheese) give me stomach pains and nausea...I think its all do to peri, at least for me, cos Ive been to the doctor so much within the past 6 mos, and all my tests and bloodwork come up normal..According to them, I am very healthy, lol, even though some days I felt like I was dying of some terrible disease! Take Care

Old 01-17-2005, 09:14 AM   #4
(female)

Moonrize HB User

What you just wrote,Nance,about the stomach,well I could have written it!!! My stomach sometimes feel icky,but also like I have to put something in it,almost like a gnawing feeling.Other times it feels like I have a lead weight in there...I get reflux,which causes me to have trouble breathing,it's a BIG mess.In October I had an abdominal CT scan,with the dye no less,and all was fine.I never know when I wake up how I will feel.When my hormones level out,I'll feel ok,but then they go whacky again.It's AWFUL!

Old 01-17-2005, 10:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

Both of these symptoms can be caused by peri. I had both and they tend to come and go. The nausea can be from reflux or IBS, both of which get worse with peri. It can also be caused be anxiety which is usually out of control with peri. The aches and pains out of nowhere also go along with peri.

I never knew what caused these two symptoms and what caused them to go away. They just rotated around for about 2 years and now come only occassionally. Nothing helps. They will go away. For me the rotation (along with other symptoms) was every two weeks.

Old 01-17-2005, 06:24 PM   #6
(female)

Moonrize HB User

Yes,my stomach will be ok for awhile,then it will bother me again,same with my achy legs.I also get headaches occasionally,then other times,I'll feel pretty good,but it never lasts...

Old 01-18-2005, 10:06 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi everyone,

This post also could have been written by me!! I identify with the achy legs and the intestinal stuff. The latter was my biggest complaint along with anxiety last year and it is true what one of you said that they seem to go hand and hand and the anxiety does not help the stomach that is for sure.

The leg achiness is not constant for me but I have experienced it. It happens at night , like before bedtime for me when it has occurred and it is not related it seeems to exercise, or shoes, etc. It is like they are really achy and restless.

Thanks for mentioning the stomach stuff as that is always reassuring to me that it is all a part of this. Of course my doctor has told me that and I have been to him and the gyn about it so I should know this but when the anxiety sets in my mind runs rampant!! And it is true that I can go for months without being bothered by my stomach or anything like that and then it will crop up again. Thanks, TWANGER, for stating "they will go away". It is true...and it is good to be reminded.

Hope everyone is having a good day,

rmc

Old 01-20-2005, 12:46 PM   #8
(female)

JudeNZ HB UserJudeNZ HB User

Don't you just love this forum. Makes us realise we are in fact OK and not alone. I've started having achy legs on and off over past few months. Usually early hours of morning after I go to the loo. I get back into bed and legs start aching, and get restless, mainly from knee down, although can feel a few twinges in muscle between knee and thigh. I have to keep moving them which stops me going back to sleep. Had it twice this week so far, and it drives me mad. A paracetamol usually will settle and relax them after a while. During days they are fine, although after a bad night like last night, today they're still achy, but not twitching. I have enough trouble sleeping after getting up without this stopping me!

Jude

Old 01-20-2005, 08:18 PM   #9
(female)

Moonrize HB User

Everytime my stomach hurts,or my legs ache,if it goes on for more than a day,I too feel like running to the doc,convinced I have either a blood clot in my legs or a tumor in my stomach!Of course all the extensive blood work,CT scans,etc would have shown a problem,but its still scary when weird stuff keeps happening to you..

Old 01-24-2006, 03:36 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

WOW!! Thanks guys!!!!! I have been having these achy legs on and off for a week already! I'm looking up "bone cancer" "pagets disease of the bone" "Fibromyalgia", anything and everything! And I decided to try this board and the menopause area! They are fine if I am walking around, but let me sit for 10 seconds or lay down and it's this vague ache here, ache there, anywhere from my thigh to my foot in both legs! I also get it in my upper arms, but that I attribute to the fact I do a LOT of driving.. (and by the way, I had such bad stomach problems for over a year I finally went for an endoscopy! Which showed nothing...)

Last edited by Sunlover; 01-24-2006 at 03:38 PM.

Old 01-24-2006, 07:50 PM   #11
(female)

danigirl HB User

Yes! I do! But mine is in the upper part of my left leg in the thigh area. Achy especially at night and when sleeping. I can't hardly lay on it most of the time. Other weeks can go by and I don't feel any pain at all. I also get joint pains and aches elsewhere as well like in my arms and fingers. Very weird. I'm usually fine during the day when I'm moving around more. I have gotten the nausea off and on, ginger ale is my godsend. I feel like I'm 75 and I'm not even 50 yet.

Old 01-25-2006, 05:52 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Taimse HB User

I had really restless legs when I was anemic....I had given blood, then had a really heavy period, had carpal tunnel release and then went to give blood again...I didn't feel anymore tired than I usually did, but Red Cross said my hematocrit was too low and would let me give blood. I went to my doctor.

When my iron levels were back up, the restless feeling in my legs went away.
I haven't had a period since July, so gave blood Jan 10. I am experiencing some restlessness in my legs now, so think I might be a bit low in iron so am trying to increase a little of that in diet.
I had restless legs off and on during peri, because periods would be heavy, but I would recover enough inbetween. I think my ferritin levels were always low during that time, so it wouldn't take much to make me IDA for a bit after a period. I'd had my hemoglobin checked a few times, and it would be 'normal' at 12.1. It now sits around 13.3. since being on the iron pills.

Yes, other things can cause restless legs, but I would talk with your doctor if you are still having periods, especially if they are heavy, to rule out iron deficiency anemia.
I had an upper GI endoscopy as part of the work up for IDA. I was having stomach problems that may have been a part of the IDA. Found out I had a small hiatal hernia. I was put on a proton pump inhibitor for about 2 months...stomach problems pretty much have gone away too., except for the nausea I get when a warm flash was coming on. ( I don't get the flush yet, just a bit of sweat on hairline) Sometimes I feel like I am going to faint with those too.

Last edited by Taimse; 01-25-2006 at 05:54 AM. Reason: add info

Closed Thread