It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2005, 07:42 PM   #1
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User
Does it get better or worse?

I am still getting periods but more irregular then before/ and or heavier or lighter with each cycle. After they end instead of feeling relieved like I use to, I feel more depressed ,low energy, and out of whack. Someone told me I am probably nearing the end of my cycle.
I have been in perimenopause for a few years , only now it is getting worse. Now I am feeling overwhelmed by everything and anyone. I can not be around people a lot even though I have to be. I have lost my confidence. I feel extremely insecure about my apearance, which is something I never felt before, I cry at anything, I get anxious easily, and feel like I am crashing down most of the time. I'd rather stay home reading then go out and face the world. I use to love to dress and now I live in my sweats even at work. My hips are spreading a bit and I find I obsess about it. I am losing it!
What I would like to know from those of you who are in menopause already or haven't had a period for awhile, does it get better or worse then? I know everyone probably has different symptoms, but I need to hear from others who at the next phase of life.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:44 PM   #2
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User
Re: Does it get better or worse?

Me too armadillo! I feel exactly like you too. Especially like I just want to stay home and not face the world. I have lost my confidence. I talked to my SIL today and she hybernates at home. At first I didnt understand, but now I do. Maybe if we dont get an answer, maybe that means our post menos have moved on to bigger and better things. I want to enjoy my 40's. I am so sad that this is happening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 09:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi,

I would like to know the same thing!! it would be nice to know there is some light at the end of the tunnel so to speak.

I have posted before so I won't go into great great detail but i am 50, and am hoping that this peri stuff will be waning. I have had symptoms since probably mid to later 40s and the first thing I experienced was irregular periods...coming earlier than usual, some brown spotting, that type of thing. But for the most part it was really early last year that I had more of a problem with peri. in the way of worse PMS, intestinal problems that came around midcylce or around my period (like an IBS type thing) and a LOT of anxiety. I started taking Vitamin B and Estroven , an herbal/vitamin supplement and increased my exercise and that seemed to help...at least it was an easier time of it after the first part of last year. Still had bouts of anxiety now and then but seemed to be able to keep it in check more.

Anyway, this year , more specifically this last month and into this month now it has seemed worse again as far as the PMS. My periods for the past 3 times have come on day 32 and it is now day 36...which I KNOW sounds like No big deal as there are times when my period has come on day 40 or day 50, the year before last. But this past year they started coming every 24 days as they have been the past couple years. Honestly I'd rather have that. These longe cycles seem to take more out of me and I seem to have LOONNNGER pms problems all leading up to whenever it comes. Like I said it is day 36 and it is not here but I have been feeling it is coming since day 24!! Enough is enough...I am ready for it to come!! Like I said I know that there are women on this board that have been without periods for months on end and I have not reached that point. If I didn't have any symptoms during these longer type cycles I would not complain...but to feel PMS symptoms for so long is just wearing on me.

Thanks for listening and i guess I would like to hear too from people who are beyond this and also those like me who sometimes have had it seem like it was getting easier...then BOOM..it gets kind of yucky again!!

thanks,

rmc

Old 02-08-2005, 04:56 AM   #4
(female)

Stavia HB User

I'm post meno. My last period was a little over 2 years ago. I feel a lot better now than I did when I was in peri.

My PMS got a lot worse when I was in peri; I think that was my worst symptom. It lasted longer and sometimes came even when I missed periods. I also felt worn out by the PMS. It started to get better during my last 2 years of peri and disappeared completely shortly before my periods ended.

My hot flashes were at their worst during the first year after my last period, but improved after that. I still get them but not as often, and they're milder. They don't disrupt my life any more.

I started having trouble sleeping when I started peri. That hasn't changed, but I take valerian before going to sleep and it helps.

I was in peri for 7 years. I felt like I was devoting so much energy to dealing with the symptoms that it left me physically and mentally exhausted. HRT was not an option for me because I have a family history of ovarian cancer, so I toughed it out. Even though I still have some symptoms, I don't feel controlled by them and that's made all the difference in the world.

Old 02-08-2005, 09:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Stavia,

Thanks for your post. It does so help to hear of your experience and that you feel better now.

You said that it was about a 7 year process and I know it is different for everyone of us. But I am 50 and first noticed some changes in my mid 40s so hope that things are waning but on the other hand I know I could have a couple more years of this too.

The PMS is the worse for me in all its many moods and symptoms!!

Thanks again,

rmc

Closed Thread