It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2005, 02:31 AM   #1
(female)

rambie HB User
Question Tips for beating perimenopause please?

undefined

Having recently, thanks to this website, realised my symptoms are obviously perimenopause can anyone give me useful tips on things that aid the symptoms. As it stand at the moment approximately half my life is spent with one or all of the following symptoms:
Freezing spells where my teeth chatter and I can't get warm.
Short lived hot flushes.
Dizzy spells, fuzzy head, fuzzy memory.
Palpitations, indigestion, heart burn.
Aches and pains.
Bouts of anger, frustration (who wouldn't when you feel like death and nothing seems to help) and as the symptoms subside, tearfulness.
Just generally feeling really unwell physically.
I'm having a D&C, hysteroscopy and Mirena coil fitted on Wednesday to help combat the heavy and prolonged periods, am optimistic this will help. When I mentioned the palpitations (which have put me in hospital numerous times as heart rate reaches 185bpm) plus feeling unwell he said 'yes sounds like hormones but not the type I deal with, you'd be better off with an endocrinologist'. Having read some of the notes in here though loads of folk have these symptoms in varying degrees of severity so I felt the best folk to ask for advice would be you. Please, please spare me the time to give any tips you can as having suffered now for 18months I really just wanna get on with my life to a greater extent than I have been recently. I accept I can't make the symptoms go away and I gotta live with it but it would be nice to take back some control. In every other aspect of my life I love being 45, great hubbie, great kids, good job and hopefully lots of life to enjoy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2005, 09:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User
Re: Tips for beating perimenopause please?

Rambie, I know exactly what you are going through, an I'm quite familiar with all the symptoms you listed. I also had a hysteroscopy D&C. Sounds like you have a good dr. who quickly recognized that your symptoms are hormone related. That is a blessing. Here are a few things that I've found to help me during this time:

1. Calcium and Magnesium. I take them at bed time and they help me sleep like a baby.

2. Primrose oil, flaxseed, B6, Vitamin C, B Complex, iron

3. Wellbutrin antidepressant - I've been taking this for about 6 weeks and it has helped my mood

4. Birth control pills. With these fluctuating hormones the bcp has helped some what. I just need to find the right brand and dosage. I also use Vivelle hormone patch, because the bcp is not enough and my most recent blood work showed that I do not have any estradiol.

5. Getting plenty of rest.

6. Long baths with aromatic therapy (I prefer a blend of mints, chamomile, rosehip and eucalyptus)

7. Prayer.

Realizing that this is just my hormones and that this will pass encourages me to press on. I look around and see so many older women who have been down this path and they are doing well. At the YMCA, where I use to workout, there was a woman in her late 50's with a body that was better than any 20 year old. She diligently worked out and you could see the benefits. I'm aiming to look like her when I "grow up" .

Last edited by Hopefully; 02-13-2005 at 10:10 AM.

Old 02-15-2005, 09:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Rambie,
Welcome to this board! I have had all the symptoms you listed.

- get the "Before the Change" and "The Pause" book so you get a better understanding of what's going on with you.

- stick around this board and join the postings so you don't feel all alone with what you're going through.

- take the 'peri-zappers' as suggested in the "Before the Change" book. They are basically vitamins/supplements but I think they help a lot. You have to get yourself in a regrime so you're taking them daily and consistently.

- do some kind of exercise daily if you can. Go on walks, do yoga, stretching, use stretchie bands or weights, etc.

- take time and take care of yourself. Go natural or takemeds if you have to, realize each peron is different and will react differently to different remedies, do what it takes to make yourself feel normal again.

- don't punish yourself if you don't have the energy to do all the things you used to, incl. cleaning the house, laundry, etc. etc. Many of us here have also posted about not having the desire to socialize like before, some also freaked out at stores, etc.

- drink lots of water, don't smoke or drink alcohol, and cut back on coffee. Eat healthy, minimize sugar or salt...

- Have a good cry or punch out a punching bag to release any anger or frustration.

- I noticed things got a bit better once I accepted the awful truth that I was getting older, body is changing and it's just a time every woman goes through, and that it is not forever.

I agree with Hopefully - there are many 'older' women walking around doing just fine....they all survived. I guess I could put myself in that class now...I'm just working on my slimming tummy area and some achy joints these days.

molly

Last edited by molly123; 02-15-2005 at 09:23 AM.

Old 02-15-2005, 09:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Rambie,

The book The Pause, that Molly mentions is excellent in explaining what is going on at this time, and to me that has helped. Also to realize as they said that it is just the time we are going thru and will pass and others have got thru it.

This is not to say that anxiety does not seep in at times as it does for me certainly. At those times I do try to self talk ...tell myself I have felt this way before with symptoms and have survived. The doctor also gave me xanax to take for anxiety as needed. I did take it on and off last year from late Feb. to early Apr. when my symptoms were really hard to take. Recently some of thos symptoms have acted up again and I have taken the xanax now and then but not a constant.

Exercise really helps. I have a bad cold this week and have not felt like doing it and I can really tell when I am not able to keep in a routine of exercise that my peri symptoms are worse for me.

I take Vitamin B and Estroven which is a vitamin/herbal supplement over the counter, along with a mulitvitamin and also calcium.

I find Green tea at night with honey is calming for me. I think one has to find calming things for themselves during this time as the symptoms can really make one anxious and fretful.

Welcome to the board. I have found too that reading the posts have helped to calm me about my fears at this time and has given me tips to cope.

And I agree with the others about seeing people in their late 50s and early 60s who look great and what is more important feel great and that is and that is an inspiration.

rmc

Closed Thread