It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2005, 04:34 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User
Enlarged Uterus, Fibroids, Polyps ?

What is the usual treatment for fibroids or polyps and an enlarged uterus
when someone is approaching menopause? I am still having heavy cycles at age 53. During a colposcopy/biopsy in January, reactive atypia was found
on the cervix that could not be ruled out as dysplasia. The Doctor also wanted me to have a vaginal ultrasound because my uterus felt large on examination. The first vaginal ultrasound showed a polyp or blood clot, thick endometrial lining, and a large uterus. The doctor wanted another ultrasound after my next cycle. During that one, the endometrial lining was okay, the tech did not see a polyp or blood clot, but discovered at least two fibroids and the uterus was still large. I am still waiting for a call from my doc after she reads and compares the ultrasounds. I would like to hear from others who have this problem and what was done for it. Thanks!

Old 02-18-2005, 01:17 AM   #2
(female)

rambie HB User
Re: Enlarged Uterus, Fibroids, Polyps ?

I had an ultrasound which showed my uterus to be 'bulky' and also showed a few small fibroids. They have just done a D&C to check that there is nothing sinister going on and I had a hysteroscopy at the same time which showed everything up there to look normal. They also inserted a Mirena coil which apparently will help stop me having such heavy and prolonged periods. There is not really a cure for fibroids other than a hysterectomy and unless the fibroids are causing major problems they will try to avoid that. Polyps can be removed quite easily and are then examined to make sure that they are benign. Your uterus could be large for any number of reasons. Apparently just like any other bit of us, no two are exactly alike. I was told that a larger uterus obviously means more inner surface area therefore more likelihood of heavier periods, suppose that makes sense. I'm sure everything will be fine, but like most things the waiting is the worst cos you imagine all sorts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2005, 07:47 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

Rambie, thanks for the info. Were you asleep during the D & C and hysteroscopy?
I got a call from my doctor yesterday, and she wants me in for a THIRD ultrasound. Seems I formed a cyst on one ovary and dense area on the other. Could this have happened in just two weeks, or did they miss it the first and second time?

Old 02-18-2005, 01:18 PM   #4
(female)

rambie HB User

Yep I was asleep, apparently the procedure only takes about five minutes, although I did sign a consent form to allow a student doctor to have a nose around!!! Don't care what they do to me whilst I'm asleep as long as they don't tell me once I wake up? I may be wrong but I believe that cysts can form (and dispurse) quite quickly. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Closed Thread