It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2005, 11:34 PM   #1
(female)

nancyj1922 HB User
Exclamation Anyone ever get dizzy going through menopause

I am just about 50 and all of the sudden am dizzy all the time. Someone told me that it could be a sign of hormones out of whack. My dr. just looked at me when I said that. Instead he is sending me for an ultrasound of my carotid artery! I like the idea of hormones better!

Please let me know if you have gone through this dizzy thing.

Old 02-16-2005, 07:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User
Re: Anyone ever get dizzy going through menopause

I got the dizzy thing while going through peri. There are several others on this board that experience it also. In fact, I got it bad 2 times. The first time, I had missed 11 months of periods and then had one. I get dizzy off and on throughout the year.

Sometimes allergies can cause this and make your ears stuffy or just hormones being out or whack can cause it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2005, 08:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

The year I turned 50 was the year that I hit hard with the peri-meno symptoms. One of them was the sudden dizziness/lightheaded/feeling off balanced. It was horrible because it lasted for months. Along with many other symptoms, I went to many drs. and none of them ever confirmed what I was going thru was hormone related. I don't think many drs. have a clue how bad we can feel when our hormones are out of wack--how can they unless they experienced it themselves and with me, my drs. were mostly men and the women drs. were young. Many tests were done and fortunately, all was normal.

Many women here have posted on experiencing the dizziness so rest assure it is a very common peri-meno symptom.

Old 02-16-2005, 08:47 AM   #4
(female)

nancyj1922 HB User

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I turn 50 this year. Oh the joy. I cannot believe that in this day of medicine these issues are not REAL important. Too bad I would be 70 by the time I finished med school if I started today! Thanks again.

Old 02-16-2005, 09:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

I'm going through that right now. It's an off-balance thing. Since I have allergies and TMJ, it's hard to know which one of those things is causing the dizziness. I have to hold onto the rails on the treadmill or I feel like I'm going to keel over.

Old 02-16-2005, 10:55 AM   #6
(female)

anita4pets HB User

I ended up having a cat scan done to see if I had a brain tumor! The severe version of this happened twice...all of a sudden I started feeling light-headed. My lips started to go numb and, my eyes felt like they were spinning around (double vision). The second time this happened I was driving (lived in LA at the time) and had to pull over. My doctor's conclusion...that it was a form of a migrane (evidently not all migrane's are painful). I did some research and found out that migranes are another symptom of menopause. The good news, all checked out okay and I haven't had a severe incident again although once in a while I get a slight dizzy or off-balance feeling for a moment but those have only happened a few times and not lately.

Old 02-16-2005, 05:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Dizzy and off-balance/equiliberium. That's a part of pm if you haven't been diagnosed with anything else. It's better to get checked out, complete physical and other tests/xrays to rule out, but PM will make u feel light headed, dizzy and way off balance. It can happen at times or it can be a steady thing for a while. I went through it and reallly hated it.

Andrea

Old 02-17-2005, 12:57 AM   #8
(female)

rambie HB User

Yep I too get dizzy. Sometimes I find it quite difficult to explain to people just how weird I feel. It is almost like I'm not really in my own body, I can see things but feel kind of detached, the brain doesn't respond as quickly as normal and I feel light headed, concentration level diminishes r****ly. When this happens I have to convince myself it is quite normal although sometimes you can help but start to get worked up which then just aggrevates the whole situation three fold. I also find that I get very dizzy when I get palpitations and even though I'v had my heart checked throroughly I still get moments when I think what if they're wrong then when it all passes and I feel 'normal' again I hate myself for being so melodramatic!!! Don't yer just love being a woman

Last edited by rambie; 02-17-2005 at 12:58 AM.

Old 02-17-2005, 04:53 AM   #9
(female)

joyka HB User

I have had problems with dizziness too (I am 53 and menopausal). Eating sugar on an empty stomach seems to have a bad effect and cause dizziness.

Old 02-17-2005, 08:38 AM   #10
(female)

nancyj1922 HB User
Smile Re: Anyone ever get dizzy going through menopause

My dizzinness is accompanied with my left cheek tingling. Sometimes I really get dizzy and feel like I am going to black out. NOT NICE. Others it is just sort of a haze I feel I am stuck in. They did a carotid artery doppler on my neck yesterday and I am still waiting for results. Wish me luck and thanks for all the response!

Old 02-23-2005, 04:02 PM   #11

IrishLady HB User

I get the dizzies all the time now..I'm 51 and can relate to to the off balance feeling you talk about..this peri stuff is no fun at all!!! Most times I feel like I'm in a fog and very light headed. I've had peri symptoms for years but the dizzies and weird feelings only began about 6 months ago.

Old 02-23-2005, 04:29 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambie
Yep I too get dizzy. Sometimes I find it quite difficult to explain to people just how weird I feel. It is almost like I'm not really in my own body, I can see things but feel kind of detached, the brain doesn't respond as quickly as normal and I feel light headed, concentration level diminishes r****ly. When this happens I have to convince myself it is quite normal although sometimes you can help but start to get worked up which then just aggrevates the whole situation three fold. I also find that I get very dizzy when I get palpitations and even though I'v had my heart checked throroughly I still get moments when I think what if they're wrong then when it all passes and I feel 'normal' again I hate myself for being so melodramatic!!! Don't yer just love being a woman
Rambie you described my lightheaded/woosie/spacey/dizzy feeling exactly!!!!!!! It also makes me feel detached, unreal, and hungover. Sometimes when someone is talking to me I have to force myself to concentrate on what they are saying and not on this weird feeling. I'm now taking Ovcon 35, this is my third day, and I've notice improvement with my mood swings, anxiety, and mild depression. I'm praying that as time progresses I'll wake up one morning and this spacey feeling will be totally gone.

I wonder how many women that I pass by and work with daily are also dealing with this hormone dizziness. Hmmm.......

Old 02-23-2005, 04:44 PM   #13
(female)

marys62 HB User

Hopefully,

Weren't you on lo-ovral? Is there any particular reason that you switched pills?

Mary

Old 02-23-2005, 06:01 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marys62
Hopefully,

Weren't you on lo-ovral? Is there any particular reason that you switched pills?

Mary
Mary, I was on Mircette. Before that I tried Loestrin. After three years my blood work is finally reflecting what my body has been SCREAMING! My estradiol is less than 15 with the range being 19-500, which means no estrogen even after months on bcp. My fsh is .8 away from registering in the postmenopausal range. My dr. said something about my body not utilizing the hormones in the bcp, so we switched. Ovcon is still a low dose bcp, but it has a higher level of estradiol (35), while the Mircette was 20. Believe me after only 3 days my body can tell the difference. After 6 weeks on Ovcon my dr. will do some more blood work.

Old 02-23-2005, 07:23 PM   #15
(female)

marys62 HB User

Hopefully,

I hope this one works for you. With that level of estrogen, you must have been feeling horrible! Good luck!

Mary

Closed Thread