It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2005, 02:10 PM   #1
(female)

newbie5 HB User
What do "electrical shocks under the skin feel like?"

Can anyone describe the "electrical shocks under the skin" that I have seen posted on here many times? I am just wondering if they are similar to what I have. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2005, 10:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: What do "electrical shocks under the skin feel like?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie5
Can anyone describe the "electrical shocks under the skin" that I have seen posted on here many times? I am just wondering if they are similar to what I have. Thanks!

Well let's see. They feel like something is jumping up toward the inner part of your skin sometimes it has a electrical feeling and then you might get the muscle twitching, or spasms, maybe not. I had them all. Hang in there, try not to pay attention to them, tell yourself it's just permenopause and keep going. They will subside, really they will and then they might come back again but know that eventually they will go.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2005, 03:37 PM   #3
(female)

Beach Bum HB User

Mine are more like a vibration. I get them in the bottom of my feet. It feels like I have my foot on a vibrating cell phone. I even get this sensation when I am on the treadmill. I also get something like a ticking. Could be the back of my upper arm, calf, shoulderblade, almost anywhere. The first time it happened it lasted for about an hour. It's kind of like the second hand on a clock. Now when I get them they last for a few seconds or minutes at the most. Nothing that happens to my body surprises me anymore.

Some things scare the heck out of me like heart racing or palps, internal organs hurting. But these weird ticks, I just think geez that's something new. What's next?

Old 02-19-2005, 04:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Like Beach Bum, mine is like a vibration. Sometimes its a constant vibrations other times its a pulsating time of vibration. What's strange is that mine usually occurs only in my left foot.

Old 02-19-2005, 05:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

I guess I must have had this too - it was only my the bottom of my left foot. I have seen the description "electrical shock under the skin" but never thought this is what it means. Yeah, it was like my foot was vibrating, feeling like pins & needles, ants crawling sensation...it was constant and I felt it while I'm walking, sitting, jogging, etc. Was annoying. My feet and arms would also get hot too.

Last edited by molly123; 02-25-2005 at 09:20 PM.

Old 02-25-2005, 09:00 PM   #6

PennyD HB User

Hi Molly,
Its me----
I have not been on in a month so I had to go through my sign on id again. I have been doing good just to get through work. This cycle was 27 days. I stopped and then started again soo...

How are you? I have meant to post sooner but I have been weaning off the Klonopin and I am doing well with it, just all the peri symptoms make things difficult.

I just wanted to check in and let you know I have thought about you often. Have a good weekend.

Penny

Old 02-25-2005, 09:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Penny! Hey, indeed, it's good to hear from you and to know you're alive and kicking. I figured you must be busy with the tax season and all. I am doing fine. Still taking Paxil CR and the peri-zappers. I have nothing really to complain about except aches and pain. I also haven't had a period since June 04...this has been the longest for me so far (fingers and toes crossed!). Maybe I shouldn't continue posting here since I'm feeling fine, but I really do want to reassure others that it does get better and things can go back to normal. How are you feeling these days? I assume you must be better than when we first met? Are you still taking the Paxil too?

Hope you poochies are well too. I'm dogsitting a Shiba Inu for a neighbor who just found out he got lung cancer.... very scary esp. since he never smoked.

Have a good weekend too,
molly

Old 02-26-2005, 12:39 PM   #8
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

Hi molly, a question for you. My new gp just put me on paxil. I took the first one today. i am very excited about it and hope that I can really start feeling better. Did you gain weight on the paxil? I am hoping that I wont. When I did a search on paxil on HB. Weight gain seem to be the number 1 complaint. How long did it take till you started feeling better? Thanks, Karen

Old 02-26-2005, 01:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Psalms when I took Paxil it began working in days, and I did not gain any weight. As I shared with you before I felt wonderful on Paxil. I didn't take the Paxil CR, but the original. My mother and sister in law both tried Paxil and felt great in days. I saw first hand how it turned my MIL around with in only a week. She went from depressed, no energy, and having panic attacks back to the wonderful, energetic, positive woman that I know and love. She did not gain weight and remained on Paxil CR for months.

Old 02-26-2005, 03:39 PM   #10
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

Great news hopefully! I need to lose about 10 lbs going into the paxil anyway.

Old 02-26-2005, 05:48 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Pslam
I have been on Paxil CR 12.5mg for over a year now. I didn't gain weight from it - because I'm feeling fine, I gained back the weight I lost when I was feeling really bad and also since I started working out more! It's very frustrating! I fit a bit smaller size but weigh more!! Brrr!!

Anyway, I felt better even after just taking the first pill. I literally felt this "lift." I would say within 1 week I was feeling much much better. When you search the net, you will find a lot of people against Paxil but IMO a gal gotta do whatever it takes to make herself feel better, esp. with this peri-meno stuff! I will deal with the weaning later. I NEVER want to go back to the way I was feeling! I didn't have any bad side effects from the Paxil either, like the way I did with Wellbutrin. A woman dr. who works with drug addicts (friend of my sister) suggestd that I take this particular SSRI for pre-meno instead of other SSRI's .

Get yourself back in control and feeling better first - don't worry about your weight - you can work on losing it later - you'll be functional then. How you feel so far??? It helped Penny who also went on it after she found it worked for me - it worked for her too!

molly

Old 02-26-2005, 07:39 PM   #12

PennyD HB User

Hey Molly,
That is great to hear you are on your way to the "one year" mark in June!!! My "babies" are doing good, thanks for asking. I just go up and down with this peri-thing!! I really felt good the first 2 weeks of February, then boom- back to the fatique and brain fog again. I am still on the Paxil CR, it has been one year and 2 weeks since I started it, it has helped a lot, but I also gained 25 pounds--ugh! I am not planning on weaning off any time soon. I am almost off the Klonopin, I am doing it on my own system and I am going off very slow and I have had no ill effects from the process. I know I should post more, but just keeping up with tax season is about it for me. Although I did have this bright idea to redesign my diamond ring! lol I have a 3ct oval shape diamond and myself and my jeweler worked together on a new design. It is being custom made by a jeweler in New York. I will get it on Tuesday- you know me and my "toys". I thought it might perk me up!! ha I will post again later-- glad to hear you are feeling well, that gives me hope that I too one day will be myself again!!!
Penny

Old 02-26-2005, 08:05 PM   #13
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

Thanks molly for your response to my question. I defenitly still had brain fog today but I dont think I was as anxious, but we will see. My fear was that i would feel worse like I did on the prozac. I lost sleep, hot flashes, felt like my arms were on fire in the middle of the night. Panic attacks while teaching. on and on. this week i need to feel better so I can do my job!

Old 02-26-2005, 10:56 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Penny,
Hang in there...all this has to be over with eventually. It just has to - there are just too many 'senior' ladies runing around looking and feeling pretty darn good. Did you see the Oprah show where she had these women (some in their 50's/60's) all lean and fit, flat tummy and all, and looking better than they did 10 years ago? Just think...that's where we'll all be in a couple of years! LOL! I read that once you go thru menopause, you c start losing weight a lot easier!

Just think about where you are today vs. where you were a year ago. You sound so much better now than when I first met you. So glad that you're weaning off of the Klonopin - that tells you that you don't need like you did before and you haven't taken a step back at least. I have been on the Paxil for 1 yr. 3 mos. and don't know when I'll wean off yet....I do notice that things don't bug me like before - it must be old age or the Paxil.

What are you doing with a 3ct diamond? Did you get married? ...hmmm..I know ...did you buy that for yourself???and didn't you just get a new car last year too? OK, you deserve it - you had it rough with this menopause crap ! Boy! I'm going to come out to where you live - life seems pretty darn good there...too bad I 'm not smart enough for tax work tho!

Do post once in a whle so I know you're alive and well...I come on these boards almost daily, ya know, I'm one of those who don't have much of a life!LOL!

take care, molly

Old 02-26-2005, 11:08 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Pslalm,
Now don't start thinking that the Paxil isn't going to work for you before you give it a chance. Sometimes you have to just try different meds to see what works best for you which I understand can be scary b/c you never know what side effects you can get too.

Now, I didn't sleep, had hot flashes and the burning arms before I went on Paxil. I also felt panicky or freaked out when I was at stores. I didn't workat all for 5 mos. b/c I was laying down every 15 mins. The fatigue was so bad that my poor dog gained weight from my lack of walking her too. I don't know if it was the Paxil that got me better, or just my time was up with all the horrible symptoms - I was 51 at that time - common age to be in meno.

Don't forget to post and let us know how it's working for you!
Think positive,
molly

Closed Thread