It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2005, 04:00 PM   #1
(female)

prendi HB User
Unhappy shoulder pain when period starts any clues??

i have had a pain in my left shoulder for around 5 months now .it only seems to come on when i start my period or i am ovulating.it goes all along my shoulder,under my armpit,round my back,up in to my chest area,and up my neck,all on the left side.i am 51 and going thru the meno,even tho my periods are still regular,please let me know if you are going thru the same as i am very worried,thanx

Old 03-05-2005, 10:24 AM   #2
(female)

Beach Bum HB User
Re: shoulder pain when period starts any clues??

I have the same thing exactly. My neck feels really wierd. It's hard to explain. Also, in the last six months, I have started having palpitations and my blood pressure has crept up. It used to be really low. I have had 24 hour holter monitor and an echocardiogram, chest x-ray and blood tests for thyroid and other things I'm not even sure. All came back normal. My doctor put me on a VERY low dose of a beta blocker and all of the palps went away as did some chest pain I was having and blood pressure went waaayy down. I stayed on for almost 2 months and felt like I didn't need the drug any more so I started weaning myself with her permission. The side effects of this drug are bad, hair loss and tummy troubles.The first day without any was terrible. My BP went up and I had scary chest pains. Needless to say I am back on it and am very bummed out about it. I just want to be normal again.
Incidently, my MD thinks the back, ribcage, and breast pain thing is unrelated to the other. She thinks it's muscular or skeletal. I had a normal mammogram with benign findings. Do a search on chostocondroititis. I believe that's the proper spelling. A lot of women get this. My best friend who is only 39 has it.
But I keep thinking mine is linked to my heart and am still not convinced that I don't have a vascular problem. My neck makes me think of carotoid artery problem ( my dad had to have surgery on his) but my doc hears no unusual sounds there so has not ordered any tests. I may insist soon.
I saw a documentory on heart problems and perimenopausal women. They interviewed a cardiologist at Emory University in Atlanta who is convinced that there is a link between hormonal changes in perimenopausal women and changes in heart function. I wish I could get in to see him but I am on an HMO.
I know this is long and drawn out but I got so excited to see someone with my symptoms. I hope you find some answers and some relief.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2005, 10:32 AM   #3
(female)

Beach Bum HB User

Prendi,
Forgot to mention that I am 44, think I have been going through this for 4 years. I had an FSH test of 66.19 (post menopausal) and then an FSH of 3.20 (fully functionins ovaries) six weeks later. I still have periods about every 5-6 weeks and they are different from what they used to be. I stopped taking birth control 4 months ago due to the high BP. My back and ribcage (left side only) hurt every day. My left breast pain sometimes seems cyclical. The neck thing is new I believe or I am just now super tuned to feelings because I am freaked out. Wish I could get answers.

Old 03-05-2005, 04:12 PM   #4
(female)

heitara HB User
Angry Re: shoulder pain when period starts any clues??

For the past four years I've been having severe neck pain whenever my period comes. I am 50, right in the middle of a stormy period that came only ten days after the last one, my iron count is very low and I feel like a wreck. I have an itch all over my body that feels and sometimes looks like a rush, my eyes are watery and very sensitive during menstruations, my BP over the past years has been high, low, high and now low again...
I just hope all this goes away soon

"I'm not young enough to know everything". O. Wilde

Old 03-05-2005, 05:25 PM   #5
(female)

captain14 HB User

Hi Prendi...I still have these same symptoms as you are having. I am 40. They have lasted almost 2 years now and come and go as my hormones fluctuate. Some months have been horrible, the last 2 not so bad. I still have a period but I am no longer on any regular schedule. My dr keeps assuring me that it is not my heart. I have no risk factors and the pain is constant, no worse with exertion. I wish I could give you a solution to this but all I have done is take Alleve and use ice/heat to help.

Old 03-06-2005, 06:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

Hi Laides. I had to chime in on this tread.
Beachbum I too take Beta Blockers for the same reason. I hate the way they make me feel. Honest to God I feel like I can not have a normal life. I am tired all the time and when I do sleep it's interupted by strange dreams.
I have been on them for a year and believe me, you don't want to take yourself off them. I did this and it cost me a month in and out of the hospital and caused my Heart to go bonkers.
I am almost 42. I have had strange neck pain on the left side for a year now.
It comes and goes. My Dr. said it was quote "all in my head and fine". It is almost a tight spasum feeling and sometimes downright painful to even move.
I am supposed to go to my gyno.. Friday for yearly and a hormone level check but something tells me Aunt Flow may put a stop to that. Kind of hard to schedule Paps when you become irregular.

Last edited by Bell99; 03-06-2005 at 06:41 AM.

Old 03-06-2005, 07:28 AM   #7
(female)

Beach Bum HB User

Hi Bell. Which beta blocker are you on and what dosage? I am on Atenolol. Dr started me on 12.5 mg which is half of the lowest recommended dosage. My BP went from readings like 137/88, 140/90 (in the dr's office) down to 110/66, the lowest 90/50. I was losing a LOT of hair and had stomach problems 3-4 days a week. I started weaning myself down on my own. Shaving the pills until I was down to 5 mgs and still had excellent BP control and less hair loss and no tummy problems. My doc really liked that and wanted me to stick with my plan.
Well after a few weeks of that I convinced myself that the dosage was so small it wasn't doing anything and I would be better off drug free. That's when I skipped one and found out the real deal. How in the heck are we supposed to get off of these things? I am only 44 and can't see taking this stuff for 40 years. I have read that beta blockers make your heart pump with less force and they also make it harder for you get aerobic exercise. Therefore the heart doesn't get the excercise and oxygen it needs. In the long run, really bad for us. I want off. But he high BP is much more dangerous. It's a frustrating situation to be in.

Old 03-06-2005, 08:28 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

Well I take Inderal LA (long acting) 80 at night. I was taking 120 until I passed out one day at Pet Co with my 9 year old son!!
I don't have BP problems I have the racing HB so they told me I have to stay on them no matter what. It is a terrible way to live. My poor kids must be so sick of hearing how tired I am. Some days are better than others but most are draining.
What is your neck pain like? I am so worried about this. At the same time it started I got a real visable vein on that side. Dr. told me get this "it's thining skin from aging" Boy that lifted my spirits.
Do be careful about weaning off these meds. I have had hair loss but not tummy issues? My main problem is the fatigue. Being a women and getting older stinks

Old 03-06-2005, 10:08 AM   #9

Goldengirl1 HB User

I have had the shoulder pain-it was extremely painful for about a couple of years. Mine was in my shoulder blades-sometimes it would alternate between shoulder blades and sometimes it was both. Nothing relieved the pain. The pain was there all the time but before my period, it would get worse. I "tried" to talk to 2 different gynos about it-but was brushed off and said that I needed to see my general Doctor. I had gone to a Rheumotologist for the severe fatigue I was having and just happened to mention my shoulder pain. The only thing he could find was my muscle enzymes were highly elevated but could not find out why. Since my periods are so far apart now the pain has "almost" vanished.

Good luck!

Old 03-07-2005, 02:30 PM   #10
(female)

JoTX HB User
Cool Re: shoulder pain when period starts any clues??

I have frantically been searching the web about my shoulder pain. It started in my right shoulder last Spring and recently began in my left one. It is not only my shoulder however. It travels down to my forearm. It is so painful and it wakes me up at night. It has been horrible for almost 10 days now and I have taken Ambien to help me sleep a few nights. I began taking Motrin yesterday and Aleve today. I have started to get depressed. My husband had suggested that I make an appointment w/a Rhuemotologist (sp) but I'm going to go to my regular doctor first.

Also, my hips hurt. The pain is the same feeling of my shoulders and forearms. My hips began hurting 4 or 5 years ago the week before I started my period. I had my period 2 weeks ago and didn't know why I was still feeling this pain. I am 41 and so far my periods have not been erractic. I did start having hot flashes during the Winter but they are not consistent. I made an appointment w/my doctor this morning for 4/12....I hope I can wait that long. I feel so relieved to hear others w/similar symptons. Bless you all!

Jo -

Old 03-08-2005, 11:19 AM   #11
(female)

tamiloo HB User

I had my hysterectomy nine years ago. I have had the sweats for a few years, nothing that really bothers me to much. Just the past month I have had hot flashes and this pain in my left shoulder, in the under arm, chest, elbow and even my wrist. I have a hard time sleeping because the pain is worse when I lay on it. I thought I might have some tendonitis…I don’t know…

Now that I see that, others are having the same problem it makes since. My biggest problem right now is that I don’t have insurance. Cannot afford a doc or any of the medication they might put me on. Is there anything that I could use that is herbal?

Old 03-08-2005, 11:45 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

Sorry about the No insurance, that has got to be rough!
Have you tried Estroven or any of those products?
I have heard Flax Seed Oil and a few other herbs help, Prime Rose, Magnesum?

Old 03-09-2005, 01:57 AM   #13
(female)

bellsudev HB User

Tamiloo,
Does the pain seem to get worse around the time your period is about to start? If so try some magnesium/calcium 500mg/1000mg
it will help you to sleep better, also if your not getting enough calcium magnesium, the muscles aren't able to contract and release the way their suppose to and can form what I call a knot,
have someone take their thumb and work their way acrossed your back, until they find the place where it is most painful, then by pushing with their thumb and holding it for a few minutes, it helps the muscle to relax. sometimes one spot will lead to another.

I sleep on my side, so sometimes you can get a knot on your side, in your armpit, in front of your armpit, or along your collar bone by the opposite arm, besides in your back or arm. Once you find that spot, and get it to relax, it might start over for a couple of days but that is because the muscle wants to go back to the way it was.

Just a few ideas that don't cost an arm and a leg.....

Old 03-09-2005, 02:05 AM   #14
(female)

bellsudev HB User

Tamiloo,
Sorry I forgot that you had a hysterectomy, when I posted the above, but I believe that the calcium magnesium would be a benefit regardless. My mother had an early hysterectomy and still had problems when she reached menopause. When women go into menopause their magnesium, calcium, potassium, levels are effected and each one plays off the other, some people are already taking cal/mag before menopause and don't realize that they need to increase their intake with the decreasing of estrogen.

Old 03-12-2005, 12:51 PM   #15
(female)

prendi HB User

bellsudev,
i have read about calcium and if you take too much it too can cause shoulder pain in the form of tendinitis where calcium deposits form on the shoulder joint,causing shoulder pain.you just cant win!!!!

Last edited by prendi; 03-12-2005 at 12:51 PM.

Closed Thread