It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2005, 10:54 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User
Anyone taking birth control pills in their 50s or late 40s?

Hi,

Just curious how many of you that are 50 , near 50 or over 50 are on birth control pills to help with perimenopause.. It was suggested to me last year by my gyn when I started to get very frustrated with all these symptoms : mostly increased pms symptoms, intestinal and anxiety.

she did give me a prescription for Yasmin , a low dose birth control pill and told me if I felt I wanted to I could do that and start it whenever I wanted to the Sun after a period. My concern was and is side effects. I know the low dose ones are much better than years ago and I am not talking too much about the inherent side effects that can come about with birth controls anyway, but I am talking about any other side effects. I am not someone that tolerates pills well as it is and I did not and do not want to bring on a new host of other symptoms in addition to what I already have!!

I mainly have a longer PMS as I said, some palpitations, some night sweats and high anxiety at times. The PMS and the anxiety are the two that are more constant and are the most troublesome. I am not sure if the birth control pills would help that. I know it would regulate my period but until this year it was not too bad in that dept. (I have for the past 3 years only got one or two that I got on day 40, day 50 and then this year day 49, other than that they have been in the 23 to 29 day range. Now with this year I had one at day 49 as I mentioned and then today at day 27. So that is very different. If I was not getting symptoms in between time and only at right before my period I am thinking it would be easier to deal with. But would birth control do that?

I also hesitate being 50 , soon to be 51 this year, to be taking them. But do not want 2 or 3 more years of what I have been dealing with this month. Last year the symptoms as I have well documented on here : ) were worse for me in late Feb/all of March and then on and off in April , waning in May and then just normal stuff the rest of year till this Feb. So perhaps it will stabilize again. Not very patient I guess!!

Anyway, just thought I'd see if others near 50 or 50 are taking them for all this and what symtpoms it has helped alleviate.

Thanks!!

rmc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2005, 12:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB UserHopefully HB User
Re: Anyone taking birth control pills in their 50s or late 40s?

I'm taking Ovcon 35 and I've tried a variety of other brands. Btw I'm 44. BCP has helped with my rapid heart beat, rapid mood swings, depression, panicky feeling, doom and gloom feeling, panic attacks...just to list a few symptoms.

Old 03-21-2005, 09:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Thanks, Hopefully!!

Did you ever take Yasmin by chance?

rmc

Old 03-22-2005, 05:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc12
Hi,

Just curious how many of you that are 50 , near 50 or over 50 are on birth control pills to help with perimenopause.. It was suggested to me last year by my gyn when I started to get very frustrated with all these symptoms : mostly increased pms symptoms, intestinal and anxiety.

she did give me a prescription for Yasmin , a low dose birth control pill and told me if I felt I wanted to I could do that and start it whenever I wanted to the Sun after a period. My concern was and is side effects. I know the low dose ones are much better than years ago and I am not talking too much about the inherent side effects that can come about with birth controls anyway, but I am talking about any other side effects. I am not someone that tolerates pills well as it is and I did not and do not want to bring on a new host of other symptoms in addition to what I already have!!

I mainly have a longer PMS as I said, some palpitations, some night sweats and high anxiety at times. The PMS and the anxiety are the two that are more constant and are the most troublesome. I am not sure if the birth control pills would help that. I know it would regulate my period but until this year it was not too bad in that dept. (I have for the past 3 years only got one or two that I got on day 40, day 50 and then this year day 49, other than that they have been in the 23 to 29 day range. Now with this year I had one at day 49 as I mentioned and then today at day 27. So that is very different. If I was not getting symptoms in between time and only at right before my period I am thinking it would be easier to deal with. But would birth control do that?

I also hesitate being 50 , soon to be 51 this year, to be taking them. But do not want 2 or 3 more years of what I have been dealing with this month. Last year the symptoms as I have well documented on here : ) were worse for me in late Feb/all of March and then on and off in April , waning in May and then just normal stuff the rest of year till this Feb. So perhaps it will stabilize again. Not very patient I guess!!

Anyway, just thought I'd see if others near 50 or 50 are taking them for all this and what symtpoms it has helped alleviate.

Thanks!!

rmc
RMC,

I've been taking various forms of hormones for 15 years or so. I started obvious menopause symptoms when I was 39 and within a couple of years I started a low dosage pill. I'm almost 56 now.

I've tried various brands and formulas over the years -- it's not important exactly which ones because I live in Germany and what's available to me would be different from your choices. They all had side effects, some more than others -- some caused my breasts to become extremely sore, some gave me pms on the progesterone part of the cycle.

A couple of years ago I cut down on the dosage over a few months to wean myself off the pills, but at 1/4 the original dosage the menopause brain fog and tiredness and hot flashes were so bad that I begged for some other options. I started out on a low dosage estrogen (estradiol) patch supplemented by ProGest cream for the side effects. This was sufficient to clear up the brain fog, but then it became apparent that it wasn't strong enough to reach my vagina -- I keep getting vaginal and bladder infections every time I make love with my hubby! Even a vaginal estrogen cream didn't clear things up.

So I've just this week started a higher dosage of patch that will have progesterone in weeks 3 and 4, and now I'm feeling stomach upset. I think that our levels of hormones are so critical to our bodies that we have "side effects" regardless of whether we're producing them ourselves or having them medically augmented.

If you can get the right hormones for you, and you don't have any medical reasons why you shouldn't take them (heart problems, history in your family of breast cancer, and other things your doctor will tell you), then supplemental hormones can certainly clear up the hot flashes, mental brain fog, tiredness, and many of the other things that people in this forum have listed. I don't know how long I will continue to take them, but I probably will until something comes along to indicate that the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. It's an individual decision -- the hormones are not appropriate for some women, but for others they can make life much easier.

--Rheanna

Old 03-22-2005, 07:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hangin in There HB User

I'm 43 and just started Ortho Tri Lo two weeks ago. It's making me very moody.

Old 03-22-2005, 08:06 AM   #6
(female)

marys62 HB User

I am 42 and am on Lo-ovral which is a monophasic pill (same hormone makeup for 3 weeks then one week of placebo pills - which is the best option for peri). I was on it 2 yrs ago when all of this started and went off last year. Went back on 3 months ago after symptoms all came back.

I cannot tell you how much BETTER I feel! No heart palpitations, no hot flashes or nightsweats, no insomnia or anxiety. It took about 2 months , but I feel like myself again. My body was screaming for hormones and the pill did the trick. I will stay on it until they pry it out of my hands!

Mary

The Following User Says Thank You to marys62 For This Useful Post:
musepatti (05-14-2012)
Old 03-22-2005, 09:16 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Thank you all for your responses. My symptoms are mainly anxiety and longer pms intestinal discomfort which I always had but as someone said in their answer now with hormones going all over the place it is worse at times. I was doing well most of last year with just some problems with this all a few months at the beginning of the year. I just am down it has seemed to reoccurred albeit not as bad as last year.

I did talk to my gyn yesterday and she said the same thing you all did, that some women are very helped by them but for some PMS is worse and it does not help that in all women. That is what concerns me as i do not need it to get worse. She said I could try it and then stop it at any time, even mid way thru a pack as the worse that can happen is that I would then get a period mid way thru.

The anxiety is the worse for me and I know thinking back to 10 years ago or even 5, I would have just chalked this up as a bad cycle I am having. Now when these things happen and the pms is longer as it is in peri i think I obsess to much on it. So I am trying not too, but as you all can see not too successfully.

I do worry about the side effects long term with birth control pills (breast cancer , etc.) I just am exploring all options and hoping that this particular bad spell I am having, which I know so many others have had too on and off, will pass. I am better on some days than others.

I got my period yesterday (day 27) and had pretty bad cramps (not at all unusual for me and not worrisome to me) , today just feel tired as I do when I get it and with some cramp/gas discomfort, also I know normal. But just seem to get all worked up about it

Thank you all for listening to me...again!!

rmc

Old 03-22-2005, 09:47 AM   #8
(female)

marys62 HB User

rmc12,

I know some women do still have problems on the pill but it is usually a pill that has varying hormone amounts throughout the month (bi-phasic and triphasic). My doctor put me on the monophasic pill because it is the same all month so you don't experience fluctuations (like you do during perimenopause). By keeping everything level, it helps keep symptoms at bay.
He said that this is the only pill he likes to use for perimenopause.

Mary

Old 03-22-2005, 11:13 PM   #9

overseas_mah HB User

I'm 52 and have been taking BCP for two years. I also take Livial, a menopause treatment medication, being tested but not available in America yet. And I use ovestin, a vaginal estrogen cream. I'm an American living in Europe.

It all helps tremendously with the myriad problems that result from menopause. I am pleased with the results. However I was much happier when my body functioned nicely on it's own without intervention. Why, why does it have to stop?? It's pretty depressing to think that I'm likely to be on this stuff for the rest of my life.

Old 03-23-2005, 09:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc12
Thanks, Hopefully!!

Did you ever take Yasmin by chance?

rmc
No, I've only tried Mircette and Loestrin.

Old 03-23-2005, 05:10 PM   #11
(female)

Vickie24 HB User
Question Re: Anyone taking birth control pills in their 50s or late 40s?

How did you like Mircette? What is your age, if I may ask......Thanks

Old 03-23-2005, 06:09 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vickie, I'm 44 and have been dealing with the these peri symptoms for the last 3 years; and started taking bcp for my perimenopause last year. I did fine on Mircette, but I needed a higher dosage of estrogen so my dr. switched to Ovcon 35. My body can tell the difference!

Closed Thread