It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2005, 03:36 AM   #1
(female)

Beth Ann HB User
10 Day Period - Help!

Hi,

I posted this question in the Women's Health forum, but thought I might get some answers here. Usually, my period lasts for 3 days, and 4 at the most. I'm on Day 10 today. Does anyone know what might be going on with me? I've never had this happen. Of course, I've been knowing for years that something hormonal is going on because I've been having night sweats for over 7 years now. I'm 37, but every doctor I've been to says that my tests are all "normal". This period I'm dealing with this time is different also. The blood is not fresh. It's like dried blood is coming out of me. (Ewwwwww. Gross. I know.) Can anyone help? I'm not doing anything different. I was trying that "bio-identical hormone therapy", but gave it up last month. It didn't seem to be working. Surely, stopping that wouldn't make this happen to me.

Thanksfor any input,
Beth Ann

Old 04-17-2005, 04:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hangin in There HB User
Re: 10 Day Period - Help!

When I was about your age, my periods began getting longer....10 days, then 12, 14....now I have ones that last 25 days! I began taking Ortho Tri Lo last month to lessen the bleeding.....I bled for six weeks straight! Now I'm
looking into surgery to help the problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2005, 03:34 PM   #3
(female)

Nance77 HB User

This happened to me also....In October of last year..I just turned 47....My period lasted over a month, but not fresh blood, just like you said, like dark brown, old blood or something, and not really alot..Sometimes spotting, sometimes more...I went to gyn and she said everything was fine, just peri...She put me on birth control pills (which I hated)...The bleeding/spotting stopped..I took them about 4 mos and have stopped them for the last 2 months, and everything has been normal....I also started having night sweats in my late 30s, and have them off and on now ever since...Also get hot flashes, then chills, etc...Am always too hot or too cold...Just wish it would be over, especially getting my periods...
Nancy

Old 04-17-2005, 04:42 PM   #4

kittenlover HB User

My last two periods have been near perfect, but all the times before that I am usually at 7-10 days. The first day not much, second and third (and sometimes 4th day) heavy...then the dried, occasional spotting till about day 10.
My gyn wanted to put me on BC pills...I told her to wake up and realize this is NORMAL!
As I"m not losing a lot of blood, I felt BC Pills would be overkill. I"m not opposed to using them should my bleeding become heavy and risk my health. Otherwise, I told her that women my age (I will be 48 in May) should expect changes in their cycle at this time of our life.

I almost felt badly for her...she is on HRT even though she is only a few years older than me and had breast cancer in her 30's. ...she should know better!

Old 04-19-2005, 05:38 AM   #5
(female)

Beth Ann HB User

I went to my GYN last month because I wanted to get my hormones checked. I told him about all the problems I keep having......cystic acne, night sweats, always tired, etc. He automatically wanted to put me on birth control pills and also on antidepressants. I said "no". I wanted to at least get the test results back first! I've tried the pill before, and it didn't help. What I'd really like is to find a doctor who really wants to help, and who really wants to get to the root of the problem. Oh, and by the way, they got my test results back and said that everything is "normal". I slept 10 hours yesterday! That is not normal! I am so tired of being tired. I just don't know what to do.

Last edited by Beth Ann; 04-20-2005 at 05:19 AM.

Old 04-19-2005, 09:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Beth Ann,
You are going thru peri-meno (or pre-menopause). There are no test that will show you are in peri-meno. You just get symptoms! I know it is really frustrating and depressing because the symptoms can be really bad and you feel so lost! Even at your age 37, you can be going thru it. You might want to try to the BCP and/or anti-depressant to see if it helps you. I went on an anti-depressant even tho I hated the idea of being on it but when you're feeling like crap everyday 24/7, one gets desperate!

Since you are still getting your cycle, you might want to read up about using some progesterone cream too. As with gettng your period for 10 days - don't worry about it! I've always had periods 3-4 days but once peri set in, I had mine as long as 14 days and another for just 1 day. This is what it means by "irregular" periods.

Join the club! Read the postings here and you'll find you're not alone!

molly

Old 04-20-2005, 05:27 AM   #7
(female)

Beth Ann HB User

Hey Molly,

I was on Wellbutrin for over 2 years, but I finally stopped. At first it was great, but over time, it seemed to have no effect. I don't know. Maybe I just need to try something different (sigh). I know I'm going through peri, although my doctor says I'm not. I think the whole thing is that every doctor I've been to has just gotten me all frustrated. Everybody here on this board seems to know more than any doctor that I've been to! I'm seriously considering going to a homeopathic doctor. I just hate to shell out the cash, since they aren't covered by insurance. Oh, and I have used progesterone cream, and even came on these boards and raved about it. I think after a while, I must have built up a tolerance to it. I tried "bio-identical hormone therapy" (the latest rage), and could not tell one single difference - except that maybe my symptoms got a little worse.

Old 04-21-2005, 08:59 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

[QUOTE=Beth Ann]Hey Molly,

Hi Beth Ann,
I was first put on Wellbutrin but after being on it for 9 days, I stopped. I might have not given it enough time but it sure didn't make me feel better. I felt like a zombie. Like all meds, we all react differently. What's good for one, might not be for another. You might want to try something just to see if you feel better. If your dr. doesn't think you're going thru peri - what is it then? Are you just sent home? My GP dr. didn't think I was going thru peri or meno - or at least he didn't want to say so until things got ruled out. I was 50 when I started getting peri symptoms. He finally agreed it was meno when I started telling him about having hot flashes. When I was going thru the debilitating fatigue (which is chronic fatigue syndome by the way), the internal shakes, burning arms, buzzing feet, heart palps, etc. - even the nurse at the gyn office said they weren't normal meno symptoms!

For a youngster of 37, you sure tried almost everything (the progresterone, the bio-identical hormone) - I hope you'll find something that will make you feel better!

take care,
molly

Old 04-21-2005, 09:20 AM   #9
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

I do not know where you live but if you can find a good accupunturist near you try that. It has really helped me with the peri- men. symptoms. I take the herbs she gives me ad have treatments weekly. I found it better then any drug my Doc. put me on. Anti-depressents only depress the symptoms in my opinion. I had awful side effects from three different ones my Doc tried me on- that is when I went to the accupunturist. What a difference now!

Old 04-22-2005, 02:35 PM   #10
(female)

Beth Ann HB User

Went to the doctor today for my "follow-up" from getting my hormones tested. It was a complete disaster. They couldn't find my test results, but said they knew they had called me (which they had) and said everything was normal. Hmmmmmmmm. I'd love to see what they have written in my charts. I know they think all this crap is just all in my head. Anyway......the doc still wants to try birth control (which I'm not gonna take), and also wants to try Sarafem (same thing as Prozac). I might try it. I don't know. I know it's not going to help with the night sweats and the acne, but maybe it will make me feel better mood-wise. I'm so sick of doctors.

Old 04-22-2005, 04:22 PM   #11
(female)

morningstar1 HB User

When I turned 40-41 my periods started getting strange. I was always very regular. Then they started being shorter than 5-7 days or lasting longer up to about 10 days. I also started to get my periods late, or earlier than usual. I also had the brown old blood thing too. I'm 45 now and haven't had 'real' period for 9 months. I was told I'm in pre-menopause and if you even have a spot of blood, that is considered a period. You aren't considered in your menopause until you have had one full year without any blood at all. At least this is what I was told. Once you're pre-menopausal or peri-menopausal (as some call it) your periods will get really wacky.

Old 04-23-2005, 06:28 AM   #12
(female)

Beth Ann HB User

I think something is wrong. I have started bleeding again. It's like I'm startimg my period all over again. This just isn't normal for me, and I just feel like there is more to it. What should I do?

edit to add: I'm thinking that I might have PCOS, after doing some research. Guess I'm gonna go back to my doctor (or find a better one), and get some further testing done.

Last edited by Beth Ann; 04-23-2005 at 03:13 PM.

Old 04-23-2005, 03:15 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Beth Ann,
Try not to worry about it esp. since you have gone to the dr. and all is fine - your period is irregular!

molly

Last edited by molly123; 04-23-2005 at 03:16 PM.

Closed Thread