It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2005, 03:44 PM   #1
(female)

Elga HB User
Question hot flashes

Hello everybody,

I was wondering if anyone has experienced the following concerning hot flashes.
When I got to bed I read to help me get to sleep. When I'm there, I put off the light and lay on my side, I immediatly fell a rush of heat that makes very anxious and prevents me from falling asleep. At that point I have to take a sleeping pill and pull down the covers as I feel on fire. This has been occuring for the past month, and every night.

Thanks a lot for your answers, that will be greatly appreciated, have a nice day

Elga

Old 04-25-2005, 07:58 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User
Re: hot flashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elga
Hello everybody,

I was wondering if anyone has experienced the following concerning hot flashes.
When I got to bed I read to help me get to sleep. When I'm there, I put off the light and lay on my side, I immediatly fell a rush of heat that makes very anxious and prevents me from falling asleep. At that point I have to take a sleeping pill and pull down the covers as I feel on fire. This has been occuring for the past month, and every night.

Thanks a lot for your answers, that will be greatly appreciated, have a nice day

Elga
Hi Elga,

Welcome! This is too funny, because I have experienced almost exactly the same thing. I read in bed, and then as soon as I lay down on my side, I get this rush of heat to my face. I have the covers on while I'm reading, so it's not that I get hotter once I lay down, I honestly have no idea what laying on my side has to do with it, but it has happened to me almost every day for a year! Fortunately, I don't get the anxiety, so I'm able to fall back asleep. This may be due to the fact that I take calcium + magnesium at bedtime, which I read on this board will help you sleep (magnesium is a muscle relaxer.) Lately however, this has morphed into something else. I'm still reading, then I lay down on my side, fall asleep, and every night, exactly 20-30 minutes later, I wake up with a jolt, feel slightly nauseous and hot, but if I turn to my other side I fall back asleep again. Maybe this is also due to the mag, as I am taking it closer to bedtime lately rather than an hour before. Don't know. But it sure is weird.

So I guess I don't have any great remedies for you, but thought you might like to know you're not the only one having these weird hot flashes.

Nornie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2005, 01:18 PM   #3
(female)

Elga HB User

Hello Nornie,

Thanks for your quick reply. What a weird thing like you say. I don't know why either because all the time I'm reading like you I have the covers on.
When I'm through I put off the light, lay on my side which is the way I sleep and immediatly get this awfull rush of heat.

Unfortunatly I can't try this calcium magnesium because I have a vestibular condition and calcium can aggravate it.

I get hot flashes specially during the evening, but not as strong as this one when I lay on my side to sleep.

I'm less worried know that I know I'm not the only one with this as my doctor could not understand it.

Sorry if my spelling is not perfect as I am french speaking.

Relga

Old 04-26-2005, 10:33 AM   #4
(female)

Alabasterlyn HB User

Although I don't get hot flashes when I am on my side, I am finding that whilst I am either reading or watching tv in bed I am fine, not hot all. But as soon as I stop and try to sleep, within a couple of minutes I will have a hot flash. This has been happening nearly every night for about two and a half years and I have no idea why it always comes on then.

Last edited by Alabasterlyn; 11-26-2006 at 09:01 AM.

Old 04-26-2005, 02:01 PM   #5
(female)

Elga HB User

Thanks Littlebrooklin for your post, looks like this is normal after all and part of pre-menaupause and we have to suffer through it. Looks like changing position and getting to fall asleep brings up heat, what a load of fun!!

Hope this goes away for all of us and that our thermostat gets ajusted.

Elga

Old 04-27-2005, 11:42 AM   #6
(female)

Alabasterlyn HB User

The more I think about it, the more I think it’s a really odd thing to happen and yet it’s obviously something to do with the menopause otherwise no one would have mentioned it here.

I think it’s great to have a forum like this to talk about symptoms and worries as I find a lot people I know don’t really want to discuss this. Although I am now 50 and haven’t had a period for about 2 ½ yrs, most of my friends of the same age are still having regular periods and don’t seem to have any peri menopause symptoms at all.

Another thing with the hot flashes I have noticed is that a few minutes before I get one I feel decidedly off colour. It took me some time to realise that this was always happening before a hot flash.

I also find that I wake up during the night for what appears to be no apparent reason, but a few minutes later I will have a hot flash. I am assuming that the bodily change when I am about to have a hot flash are making me wake up and this happens quite a few times a night.

Last edited by Alabasterlyn; 11-26-2006 at 09:01 AM.

Old 04-27-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebrooklyn
The more I think about it, the more I think it’s a really odd thing to happen and yet it’s obviously something to do with the menopause otherwise no one would have mentioned it here.

I think it’s great to have a forum like this to talk about symptoms and worries as I find a lot people I know don’t really want to discuss this. Although I am now 50 and haven’t had a period for about 2 ½ yrs, most of my friends of the same age are still having regular periods and don’t seem to have any peri menopause symptoms at all.

Another thing with the hot flashes I have noticed is that a few minutes before I get one I feel decidedly off colour. It took me some time to realise that this was always happening before a hot flash.

I also find that I wake up during the night for what appears to be no apparent reason, but a few minutes later I will have a hot flash. I am assuming that the bodily change when I am about to have a hot flash are making me wake up and this happens quite a few times a night.

Lyn
Indeed, this forum is great! The symptoms are so varied among women, that anytime you mention one to a doctor they go "Hmmm....never heard that before...." because 1) many women don't bother telling the doc so they don't hear of all this and 2) they can't possibly see/hear from as many women as post to the boards, so their knowledge base is not as broad. So it's great how we can share these things here.

Lyn, I have noticed too the funny feeling before a hot flash. I like your term "off colour." (are you british? we spell it color in the states) But that's a good way to describe it. It's not like sick nauseau, just well, off colour.

I'll have you both know that as I was laying down last night I was thinking of you guys! And how all over the world women are laying down and some are feeling hot, and some are feeling anxious, and some are having heart palps. Just funny how we all go thru this.

I did some more thinking about this particular symptom oddity though and I believe blood pressure changes when you are laying, so maybe that has something to do with triggering the hot flash, as well as your head is on the pillow which may add to the hot feeling.

Take care,
Nornie

Old 04-29-2005, 07:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User

I am wondering if anyone who has gone through menopause, like me, 7 years ago, still gets hot flashes because I have just started to get them again every so often.

Old 04-29-2005, 07:52 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolasmom
I am wondering if anyone who has gone through menopause, like me, 7 years ago, still gets hot flashes because I have just started to get them again every so often.
I'm not 7 years post, but I have a friend who is 5 or 6 years past and she definitely still gets them. She's said that it's worse when the weather gets warmer. I've heard you can continue to get them up to 10 years later, and gulp, that some women, although it's rare, do have them the rest of their lives!

Nornie

Old 04-30-2005, 03:38 PM   #10
(female)

JenEbean HB User

I am 6 years post-menopause and still having hot flashes. In fact they are worse now than ever. The other day I decided to try to count them during my waking hours just for fun, and I had 11 during the day. That is not counting the 2-4 I have while trying to sleep at night. I have one if my hubby touches my back. Feels like (whoof) spontaneous combustion.

Old 05-02-2005, 04:34 AM   #11
(female)

nanna02 HB User
Post Re: hot flashes

Hi all !

I am approx 5 years post- menopausal . & Don't take any HRT at all.

Prior to post - menopause I used to sweat profusely on my body , but more annoyingly , my face , just under my eyes , either side of my nose would break out with beads of '*****ly' sweat , very noticible to others .
my face and chest would flush red also .

This year, they seem to have slowed down , not happening during the daytime hardly at all. ;

but when I saw JenEbens' reply to the others , I had to add my little experience .

I am in a wheelchair all day , not moving /walking around to get hot , but at times I may notice ...

.... if a thought pops into my mind at home during the daytime that might stress me JUST FOR A MOMENT ,
I can sometimes feel a hot flash come over me ;

maybe it is just bloodpressure causing it , but I've learnt to just relax , accept and ignore it now and it goes away .

Then in bed at night , like you other ladies , ...

I read , turn off the light , turn over on my right side , and the hot sweaty face -flush -feeling comes on!!..

I have believed for a while this is caused by the movement of my body turning over , putting up my blood pressure for a few seconds ;

Do you think this could be right ?

In the middle of the night I can wake up , sweating , sometimes wringing wet , throw the bedclothes off to cool down for a few minutes , then pull them over and go back to sleep .

if my husband tries to cuddle into my back I have to push him away , half asleep, telling him " You're COOKING me !"

Oh dear !.. The Joys of being a Woman !!

Thank you All for sharing your thoughts ,

it's lovely to know it's not ' Just Me !"

Kind Regards Belle xxx

Old 05-03-2005, 02:23 PM   #12
(female)

Elga HB User

Helle everyone,

This board is indeed full of precious opinions. Thanks for all the input.
Lyn and Nornie, can I ask what you mean by "off colors" just before having a hot flash.

Nornie, I also was worried about blood pressure when having this flash when
turning on my side to get to sleep. I hope this is not the case, I would rather it be part of menopause than problems with blood pressure. It's hard to tell because when I get my blood pressure taken once a year it is always good. But I was told it could be high or low anyway because it varies from day to day.

I also suffer more in the summer than in the winter from these flashes, I need air conditionned in most rooms. Maybe JenEbam you live in a hot country for this reason you are getting them for such a long period and with much force.
I am only about 8 months without periods but these flashes are with me for aroung 2 years. Seems like I'm not finished.

Bell, you have also the same weird symptom, and like us you are thinking about blood pressure.

The way it happens to me, about waking up wringing wet, has happened for about 15 years and my brother also has the same thing. It's in the family.
For me this is not part of menopause. What I hate and have is the feeling like I'm catching on fire, comes on all of a sudden, and have to trow down my blankets, or at night when in pyjamas and nightgown take take the nightgow off and fast it's just fells awfull...(just like JinBean said)

Yes we will still wonder, but are any of you having problems with blood pressure when you get checked. Seems like nobody has sais anything about it so I guess not.

Like I said before I hope it's normal. From what I read here it could just be.

Thanks again, all and have a nice day,

Elga

Old 05-03-2005, 06:15 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elga
Helle everyone,

This board is indeed full of precious opinions. Thanks for all the input.
Lyn and Nornie, can I ask what you mean by "off colors" just before having a hot flash.

Nornie, I also was worried about blood pressure when having this flash when
turning on my side to get to sleep. I hope this is not the case, I would rather it be part of menopause than problems with blood pressure. It's hard to tell because when I get my blood pressure taken once a year it is always good. But I was told it could be high or low anyway because it varies from day to day.

I also suffer more in the summer than in the winter from these flashes, I need air conditionned in most rooms. Maybe JenEbam you live in a hot country for this reason you are getting them for such a long period and with much force.
I am only about 8 months without periods but these flashes are with me for aroung 2 years. Seems like I'm not finished.

Bell, you have also the same weird symptom, and like us you are thinking about blood pressure.

The way it happens to me, about waking up wringing wet, has happened for about 15 years and my brother also has the same thing. It's in the family.
For me this is not part of menopause. What I hate and have is the feeling like I'm catching on fire, comes on all of a sudden, and have to trow down my blankets, or at night when in pyjamas and nightgown take take the nightgow off and fast it's just fells awfull...(just like JinBean said)

Yes we will still wonder, but are any of you having problems with blood pressure when you get checked. Seems like nobody has sais anything about it so I guess not.

Like I said before I hope it's normal. From what I read here it could just be.

Thanks again, all and have a nice day,

Elga
Hi Elga,

My comment about blood pressure was just a guess, nothing more. I do think that blood pressure changes when you lay down (postural hypertension - the reason some people feel faint when standing up quickly) so I just took a wild guess that BP has something to do with this hot flash when laying down phenomenon. My BP is also always normal. I think this is a definitely a menopause thing - everyone has quirks regarding these hot flashes. For me actually the laying down thing has really tapered off - it used to be every night for almost 2 years. Now maybe it's once every 2 weeks. But then someone else mentioned how even thinking about an anxious thought could bring one on. I've gotten that as well, yet, ONLY in the evening! I could think the most anxious thought in the morning and....nothing. But just a fleeting notion of something upsetting after 8pm and I'm drenched. I think this hormonal fluctuation is unique to each of us. Just like our periods were - I would get mine very regularly and always at the same time of day each month. So maybe now similarly I get hot flashes at the same time of day too.

Oh, you also asked about the "off color" comment. That's harder to describe. It lasts a very short time, but just enough so that I know a hot flash is coming. It's not quite nausea, don't feel like throwing up, but it's just a feeling of "not quite right." Really hard to describe. But at least it doesn't last very long, a couple of seconds really.

Hope this is helping you!

Nornie

Old 05-12-2005, 12:51 AM   #14
(female)

Alabasterlyn HB User

Hi

It’s very hard to describe the ‘off colour’ feelings that I get. I also suffer very badly with panic disorder so having the menopause too is making things much harder for me.

For me I would kind of say the ‘off colour’ feeling is almost like the start of an anxiety attack, but it only lasts a very short time. I start to feel a bit twitchy and just not right in myself and before I have time to analyze what is going on, whoosh I have a hot flash, so I know the two are connected.

I read the posts regarding blood pressure and I have to say it had never occurred to me before that my blood pressure could be related to the hot flashes I get when I try to go to sleep. My normal blood pressure is on the low side as far as I know.

Oh and yes Nornie I am british lol!

Take Care

Last edited by Alabasterlyn; 11-26-2006 at 09:00 AM.

Old 05-12-2005, 03:15 PM   #15
(female)

Elga HB User

Hello again,

I think I know what you girls mean by "off colours", I also get a weird feeling
for a second before a hot flash.

I am also more anxious in the morning than at night, so it's weird that we get this flash everytime we get down to sleep. Maybe (for me) it's the anxiety of going through another sleepless night as I have suffered more since my menopause with sleep troubles. Also I have noticed that if I take tranquilisers about 30 minutes before going to bed I don't get that flash...So finally it sums up to this for me but I still hate to have to take tranquilisers in order to fall asleep without this surge of heat that prevents me from sleeping although I fell I'm just about to dooze off when it happens.

All the best

Elga

Closed Thread