It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2005, 06:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Choking Feeling in Throat

Anyone feeling a choking or gagging feeling in the middle of the throat? I've noticed this in the past and it's returned. Don't know if it's my allergies and sinuses combined or it's the thyroid or reflex. Had reflex before, have sinus problems and allergies suddenly this year after the big bang of perimenopause. But I've also taken the progesterone creme in the past and have noticed that it did help the choking feeling. My thyroid hormones were normal, low, but normal. So just wondering if anyone is experiencing this. I am not having panic attacks, no other sign but the choking feeling.

Old 05-06-2005, 03:02 AM   #2
(female)

JudeNZ HB UserJudeNZ HB User
Re: Choking Feeling in Throat

Don't know that I am very much help, but I do suffer from silent reflux. I have at times had an almost choking feeling which can be quite scary. I did find if I focused on it, it seemed much worse. I did read somewhere that a woman always took a sipper bottle with her, and if she could drink water then air could get through, and it helped her rationalise it all.

As for gagging, occasionally in the morning if my relfux is bad and there is a build up of mucous I can feel quite sick. But I have been taking apple cider vinegar for it and it is quite manageable at the present time. I take 1 tsp before each meal - up to half an hour before eating. You can put it with manuka honey, and is quite pleasant as a warm drink, or at times I merely take it in ordinary water. Read up about it and maybe might be of help to you.

Good luck

Jude

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2005, 04:18 AM   #3
(female)

Brenda East HB User

I have this also. I have been told by my doctor that it is stomach acid (acid reflux) that dumps into the esophagus (especially over night when we are TRYING to sleep) and causes damage there and in turn the sinuses are reacting to the damage by producing more mucous and, of course, it just feels like it is stuck in the throat. I am constantly clearing my throat and trying to cough it up. If also causes me to have major nausea. I still believe it has to do with hormones as well. I take aciphex for the acid reflux when this happens. It helps, but I am hoping it is something I don't have to take forever, but who knows.

Old 05-06-2005, 09:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Andrea,

I have had this "gagging" type feeling also...like a lump in the throat for me. I notice it when I take vitamins which I do not tolerate well anyway. Also when the anxiety is very high too I have had that feeling at times.

It is always good to see a post from you, but sorry that you are having this particular symptom crop up again as you said. Isn't it frustrating when these things resurface????!! I know that last year at this time I was posting to you about some of the same issues I am dealing with now. And they left after last May for about 8 or 9 months...then resurfaced. The only thing that is different is that I can talk to myself more now about how it is hormonal (thanks to you and others) but sometimes I have a hard time listening!!

The cider vinegar and honey thing that Jude mentioned I have read too and that sounds like it would be soothing.

Take care,

rmc

Old 05-06-2005, 09:47 AM   #5
(female)

JBP HB User

Yep, I have that too. I had it months ago and now its back. It happens when I first wake up in the morning and last a couple of hours. Is it like you need to clear your throat and when you try, it gags you? That's what it like for me. There aren't a lot of secretions, but what's there is like concrete...it won't let go. Hope that didn't gross you out! It certainly doesn't help the anxiety!
Thanks for the apple cider tip . I'll get some today!.I think I'm getting every symtom under the sun.
JBP

Old 05-06-2005, 01:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't think I have every symptom under the sun, I know I have every symptom under the sun, LOL and I'm not even a hypchondriac. As far as the gagging, it came back again, but I don't let it bother me, don't have anxiety wtih it, it just chokes me, like even when i drink water, feels like there's a nasty lump there. OH well!

Hi RMC. Well perimeno will bring back those symptoms again. Joy! Isn't it? One of these days will be able to lock up the perimeno diary.

Take care,

Andrea

Old 05-08-2005, 08:53 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

chillijava HB User

i have had this symptom on and off for a couple of years, last year i had a barium meal to see if there was a problem, but no.
my doc says its globus hystericus which is caused by anxiety and its where the throat muscles tighten up.
i have found that the more i think about it the worse it is.
i know its hard but try to ignore it and it will dissapear in a few weeks

Old 05-08-2005, 09:31 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Andrea,

I smiled when you said :
"Well perimeno will bring back those symptoms again. Joy! Isn't it? One of these days will be able to lock up the perimeno diary"

I HOPE SO!! LOL!! Right now I am having the gas issue that we all had last year when we were posting to each other, and it seems to be more so when my period is due. I think you said once that it is like gassiness that is "all over the place"...above your navel, below , and it is annoying more than anything. I know a lot of us get it and I shouldn't get anxious about it but at times it makes me that way which is also the anxiety issue that has come back a bit from last year.

It is not as bad as last year, any of it but just want to see it all GO and feellike me again!! LOL!!

Hope you are doing better.

Take care,

rmc

Old 05-08-2005, 02:23 PM   #9
(female)

JudeNZ HB UserJudeNZ HB User

Just a few thoughts about the reflux problem.

Got mine last October after 2 courses of an antibiotic I have never taken before, and still wonder if that is what did the damage. Second lot was from a different chemist, who told me to be careful with it, as can cause oesophogus problems if not taken with plenty of water... and never lie down after it. Now that thrilled me I can tell you.

I do agree that much of it is possibly caused by anxiety. I mentioned earlier I think, the day I had to go to the Dr due to a problem blood test result, (nurse would not tell me anymore), it was sooo bad when I got to the Dr's. My throat was dry, could feel the lump and felt ghastly. Within minutes Dr says, "don't know why you're here, no need, pathologist follow up says your problem is to be expected." Within 30 mins it has lessened by 80%.

However last 4 weeks I have been gluten free and 90% dairy free, in order to see if that has been aggravating things. At first not a huge difference, so went back to apple cider vinegar which makes it manageable 90% of the time. THEN last night for Mother's Day I had a blow out, cheesecake, sour cream on fries, cream on dessert, icecream, well...... when I woke this morning could feel the lump back, and been clearing my throat, and have not done that for a while now. I think it is the dairy, so as of today I am back to 90% dairy free.

Apparently many people think they have post nasal drip but it can in fact be the reflux causing it all. So give it a try and see if things improve.

Jude

Old 05-11-2005, 12:32 PM   #10
(female)

JBP HB User

I've been trying the apple cider all week and still gagging. I also got some Musenex..thought it was helping but now I don't think so. Any other ideas? I'm tired of choking all day.It probably is the globulus hystericus thing (sounds like Harry Potter), but it is still driving me nuts!
JBP

Old 05-12-2005, 03:02 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc12
Andrea,

I smiled when you said :
"Well perimeno will bring back those symptoms again. Joy! Isn't it? One of these days will be able to lock up the perimeno diary"

I HOPE SO!! LOL!! Right now I am having the gas issue that we all had last year when we were posting to each other, and it seems to be more so when my period is due. I think you said once that it is like gassiness that is "all over the place"...above your navel, below , and it is annoying more than anything. I know a lot of us get it and I shouldn't get anxious about it but at times it makes me that way which is also the anxiety issue that has come back a bit from last year.

It is not as bad as last year, any of it but just want to see it all GO and feellike me again!! LOL!!

Hope you are doing better.

Take care,

rmc
YOu know i don't want to push drugs here, but when my gyne gave me the prozac she said it would help alot the irritable bowel syndrome that peri can aggravate or bring upon us. she was right. it stopped. yeah, i still get the diarrhea or the gas invasion before and after my period. LOL And I am with you on feeling like yourself again. geeezzzzzzzzz, will we ever?

Old 05-12-2005, 03:04 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

well had that choking go on and on. didn't take anything for reflex but probably wouldn't have been a bad idea, i hear coughs come from reflex too and i know when i first got hit with perimenopause fritz, i had reflex and irrituable bowel syndrome so bad i thought i was going to die. actually my gastro seen me over and over again, but he was understanding, he understood perimenopause, thank God! But i do also relate the choking to allergies, i definitely know they have returned. But also, asthma and reflex are very friends neighbors, think about it.

Closed Thread