It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2005, 03:52 AM   #1
(female)

Kattie43 HB User
Is it normal to have heavy bleeding during menopause?

I hadn't had a period in 5 months but started three days ago and have been bleeding very very badly ever since. I was never a heavy bleeder so bleeding this bad for three days straight is scaring me. Should I call my doctor or will they say this is just all part of menopause? I'm 51.

Old 05-15-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
(female)

lucylane HB User
Re: Is it normal to have heavy bleeding during menopause?

My doctor just gave me a d&c because I suddenly had a period after not having one for 9 months. It was very heavy. Ten days later I had another period, but lighter. A d&c is called for when you have irregular bleeding and you are perimenopausal, like me for investigative reasons. I came through it with flying colors. I had no polyps and he said everything looked find. I will see him again at the end of May for a follow-up visit.

Last edited by lucylane; 05-16-2005 at 01:06 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to lucylane For This Useful Post:
frizzyfrizzy (06-09-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2005, 09:11 AM   #3
(female)

grentara HB User
Unhappy Re: Is it normal to have heavy bleeding during menopause?

Oh boy can I ever relate to this one! I just turned fifty and up to now have had zero menopausal symptoms. I have felt lucky, as most of my female relatives started menopause late and had pretty easy transitions. That and the fact that Im Vegan and eat tons of Soy had me hopeful that this would be a breeze... NOT! All my life my periods have been light, 3 days and almost cramp free but now I am in misery. The last 3 periods have been close together and horrible. Debilitating cramps, huge clots and a ridiculous amount of bleeding. I have an appointment with my OBGYN in a few weeks so I'm hoping She will have some answers.

I do find that kava kava tincture helps to ease the cramping some and I use a few other herbs as well. I definitely am considering a plant based estrogen aside from the black cohosh and red clover I'm taking but we'll see. I would never do Premarin or any animal based hormone as I don't use animal products and in fact have adopted a Premarin foal that would have otherwise been slaughtered as a by product of the industry.

This abolutely rots and the fact that I play cards for a living and am constantly surrounded by males makes it worse. I terrified of bleeding through the tampons and pads and find myself not wanting to go out during this time.

Old 05-17-2005, 04:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

The 3-4 years leading up to my perimenopausal symptoms becoming severe consisted of very, very, heavy periods to the point that I thought I was hemorrhaging! I whined about this to my ex-ob/gyn for several years until she finally decided to do a sonogram. Well, I had a polyp and fibroids. The polyp was removed which reduced the bleeding quite a lot, but I'm still having labor pain cramps that have frozen me in pain crying like a baby. I remember laying on my sofa in pain and crying waiting for my family to return home to give me something for the pain. Not only was the pain severe, but I felt that if I sat or stood up my uterus, intestines, and other parts would surely have dropped to my knees!!!!!!!

Last edited by Hopefully; 05-17-2005 at 04:28 PM.

Old 05-18-2005, 08:40 AM   #5
(female)

LT1215 HB User

My doctor told me that after skipping periods, you will probably experience longer periods, heavier periods, more cramping, etc when they do come. She also warned that if this does happen, you need to be careful you don't get anemic due to all the excess bleeding. So if your period goes on for much longer than usual, keep an eye on this. It's all normal......

Old 10-09-2005, 04:40 AM   #6
(female)

Lanie5 HB User

I am 49 and in perimenopause. My periods recently became irregular, but my last one started August 23 and lasted a whole month, stopped for 5 days, started spotting for a few days, then turned into another period!! I feel like I just can't stop bleeding!! I am scheduled for an endometrial biopsy, but can this be normal for menopause? I would appreciate someone responding to this. Thanks.

Closed Thread