It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2005, 05:22 AM   #1

Bennett37 HB User
PeriMenopause or pregnancy?

My wife is almost 43. Last year she began having major hot flashes. When she talked with her doctor, he said it could be pre menopause, but since her periods were regular, it probably wasn't. He did run blood tests and found her hormones to be normal. She starting taking black cohash(sp) and that seemed to help.

About 3 months ago she started taking Zoloft for mild depression. At that time, she came off of the black cohash. Her hot flashes now come and go but aren't as frequent.

So there is the background. Now she has not had her period in over 2 months. The last time was in February. The first thought would be she was pregnant, however, I had a vasectomy 3 years ago and I have found it is very rare for those to fail after that amount of time. She has no other signs of pregnancy and since we figured that if she was pregnant she would be about 8 weeks along right now, there should be some other signs, shouldn't there? No nausea, no weight gain, no change in breast size, no tender breasts and so on.

She refuses to take a pregnancy test and assures me that she is not pregnant, that she knows her body. She is kind of acting like she has PMS right now, so I may be posting this without needing to, but I would like some opinions.

thanks

Old 05-16-2005, 08:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User
Re: PeriMenopause or pregnancy?

Sounds to me like it's pre-menopause more so than pregnacy. She is at the age where it's not unusual for her to start going thru pre-meno either. What this dr. said was wrong. She can still have her period and have pre-meno symptoms like hot flashes. Hot flashes are just one of many - there's a long list! If she starts having other symptoms, her hormones are fluctuating but her hormone tests will still probably show up normal. Test results will not change much until she hasn't had a period for at least 6-9 mos. She doesn't need to come off of the black cohosh even if she's on Zoloft. Or, she can take Estroven which contains soy and black chosh which mayhelp hot flashes and other symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2005, 05:12 AM   #3

Bennett37 HB User

Thanks for the answer. after doing more research I too feel it is pre-menopause. As usual, she is probabaly right. I did go ahead and do a home male fertility test just to make sure I was still shooting blanks and it seems like I am. We both would much rather have it pre-menopause than a pregenancy. We have a 14 year old and don't want another at our age.

So if she goes another month or two should she contact a doctor or just let it ride?

Old 05-18-2005, 05:58 AM   #4

kittenlover HB User

I agree, perimenopause. I was late with my last period in december and panicked that vasectomies (DH has one) may undo themselves. Not the case. I just turned 48 Monday and the roller coaster ride has begun. I actually had more night-sweat/hot flash type symptoms in my mid 30's ..and my periods were like clock work.

I would say if she is concerned, she may want to go and check to see her ovaries and uterus are fine. Other than taking hormones to offset what is happening, this is the course all us lucky women go through

Old 05-18-2005, 08:38 AM   #5
(female)

LT1215 HB User

I went through something very similar last year when my periods started skipping. I went to the Gynecologist who tested my hormone levels and confirmed it was perimenopause, and not pregnancy or something else. I suggest seeing the gynecologist to confirm what is going on.

Old 05-28-2005, 06:56 PM   #6

Bennett37 HB User

Thanks for the input. I want to be there for her to support her and the more information I have to help me understand what she is going through the better.

We aren't concerned about the pregnancy anymore as she had her period yesterday for the 1st time in 3 months. However it lasted only 1 day. Is that a normal perimenopause thing? She had the cramping and leg bloating as always at that time. And today...talk about moody. One minute she is smiling at me holding my hand, the next minute, there is nothing in the world I can do right. Does this sound normal for perimenopause?

Thanks

Closed Thread