It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2005, 06:04 PM   #1
(female)

Flyerfan HB User
Eyelid problems...anyone else - Help!

I am not a happy camper. It seems like overnight I look 10 years older. I am almost 37 and have been having other mild symptoms for about a year now. This one is really bothering me. I have been having dry patches of skin around my eyes - upper and lower lids and outer/inner corners of eyes- for about 6 months. At first I thought, just another dry skin patch. Now, it seems like my upper lids have these extra folds in them, wrinkles, whatever! And also in those folds my skin is broken, like a cut. Can't figure it out. At times they itch and burn. I look at myself and could cry. I used to look younger than my age and now I hate looking at myself in the mirror. I am seeing a dermatologist in late July (couldn't get in earlier) but went to my GP to see what he said. Of course, he chalked it up to possible allergies and told me to change my pillow, not use eye makeup for a while and don't use hairspray. C'mon, I DO want to go out of the house. Anyway, I have only been using Almay mascara the last two days without eyeliner, which I have always used. Two people have told me I look tired. I could just cry. This has got me asking everyone I work with and see every day if they think I look tired.

Does anyone else have this wrinkling/sagging/dry skin eyelid thing going on?
Sorry about my tangent. I had to vent.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2005, 05:47 AM   #2

kittenlover HB User
Re: Eyelid problems...anyone else - Help!

I have had the cut in my eye-lid.
Allergies. For me it is cat...which we have.
I also have tree allergies, but the cuts occur any time...winter or spring.
I also notice that the eye cream or lotions/shampoos I use on my body can affect this.
The first time this happened I freaked out, but I wonder if I was scratching myself at night because it itched.

As for the bags/wrinkles. ...well...it happens to all of us, but I'm sure that's not really earthshattering info. Genetically, some people will have droopier lids or bags under their eyes. It has less to do with aging and more with genetic predisposition.
A friend of mine had it sooooo bad she was actually unable to see well (and insurance covered the lid surgery ).

Good luck.
Take a deep breath.

As for the redness and cuts; maybe you could try going without eye make-up for a bit.
I did this and applied vaseline at night so the cuts could heal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2005, 03:13 AM   #3
(female)

Laura_45 HB User

Yes, I had this problem and still do... it started just after my hormones took a real big swing and I skipped for 6 months straight for the first time. Anyway, it started with the sagging skin on my eyelids and real wrinkly looking, dry and rough... more on one than the other. Within days it began turning red, swollen, burning and itching really bad. I called my Mary Kay lady and asked her what was with the new eyeshadow I just bought from her. She came over and looked at my eyelid and said her daughter got that once. The doctor told her it was "contact dermatitis." So I went to my dermatologist and he confirmed that diagnosis. He had me stop wearing any and all makeup for two weeks and gave me some Eladel cream to put on my eyelid twice a day. It's kind of like a steroid but not, or something. So he also gave me samples of Neutrogena Fresh Face soap, Neutrogena Healthy Skin Retenol cream and Neutrogena anti-wrinkle eye cream. All this stuff is supposed to be mild for sensitive skin. The Eladel you will have to get a prescription for.

You really should stop wearing makeup for awhile if your dermo. gives you this cream or your skin won't heal properly. I know one woman who continued to wear makeup over the Eladel and it took her forever to get the condition to go away. When you do go back to wearing eye make up you might find your skin is more sensitive than it used to be. For instance, now I can only wear one brand of eye make up (Sorme) and NOT the kind of eyeshadow that has frost. I can also only wear Maybellene Great Lash mascara. Yesterday I tried Sorme frosted eyeshadow and within 20 minutes my eyelids were burning, so had to take it off, wash my face real good and put the Eladel on it. This morning when I put non-frosted eyeshadow, it still burned a little, so more Eladel. I also found out that different colors can have different ingredients (despite what the packaging says,) so I'll find out because I just bought several more colors to experiement with. If I'm down to only being able to wear two colors I'll scream so loud ya'll are gonna be able to hear me where ever you are!!

I chalk it up to hormones triggering allergies... for many of us, the swinging hormones seems to really throw our bodies into a pretty good tailspin. You WILL be able to wear make up again, but for now, you should follow the dermos orders. It's good that you've been backing off on what you wear or you could be in a lot worse shape than you are. Maybe you won't have to be devoid of all makeup as long as I had to. I didn't feel like leaving the house for those two weeks either... I wear the full compliment of make up so you can imagine the horrified looks I got when I showed up to work with ZIPPO!!

Also, once you get this situation under control, you will probably notice some of the wrinkling, sagging, dryness in your eyelids will disappear. Mine did. It gets worse if I get lazy and don't wash my make up off right away after work or don't use the eye cream twice a day. I also have to use the Allmay moisturizing eye make up remove pads. If I use the non-oily pads, my eyelids eventually dry out again and dryness leads to skin sensitivity. The moisturizing pads are really oily tho and lots of times it gets into my eyes... so thinking of quitting mascara.

Good luck!
Laura

Last edited by Laura_45; 06-09-2005 at 03:33 AM.

Old 06-09-2005, 11:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Wow, I can't believe how much some of us have in common! I too right now have this dry circle of skin on my left eyelid which I'm sure is dermatitis. Is this what some of you are talking about? I've always had some kind of dermatitis or eczema that would come/go. I have a large supply of Elidel but haven't used it there. I will try and see if it helps make it go away. I also use Almay eye removal pads too! I only use mascara when I go to a social thing or something but on a day-to-day basis, I don't normally wear mascara because I'm too lazy to put it on plus no one really sees me anyway LOL! I do use pencil eyeliner and have been thinking of having the permanent eyeliner done. A friend of mine had hers done and been pushing me to do so too. Not sure if I want to get a tattoo in my eyelid tho!

molly

Old 06-09-2005, 06:16 PM   #5
(female)

Flyerfan HB User
Smile Re: Eyelid problems...anyone else - Help!

Thanks guys. I have this steroid cream the doc gave me and have been using since Monday. It cleared it up almost instantly. I just hope it stays away when I stop using it. I will try the Neutrogena eye cream. (I use the foot cream and it works wonders). I use the Almay makeup remover (non-oily) and I have the oily kind on hand and sometimes use - it does get in your eyes too much but it may help me to use it.
Thanks again,
Sharon

Old 06-09-2005, 08:44 PM   #6

kittenlover HB User

neutrogena eye cream is usually what aggrevates mine...it took me 2 months to figure it out. When mine flares, I just use vaseline on the area and within a few days, it's all cleared up.

Yup, amazing how alike many of us are.....so different and yet so alike

Old 06-10-2005, 04:59 AM   #7
(female)

Laura_45 HB User

Molly... mine is worse on my left eye lid. LOL!!! I've always wondered why. I have a theory... do you have an alarm clock on your nightstand? If so, do you sleep on your left to face it? I've thought of changing my alarm clock to the other nightstand to see if I start sleeping on my right side and maybe have less problems with the eyelid. My thought is the pressure from sleeping most of the night on one side makes the skin more sensitive. My left cheek is a little redder too. Isn't it funny that 3 out of 4 of us are using Almay make up remover pads? I tried switching brands but the problem promptly got much worse. I haven't tried letting my skin heal completely then switching tho. For me, I really think it's certain kinds of eye shadow that really makes it bad. OH, and how many of us have been wearing makeup for years? I started when I was in 7th grade.

Laura

Old 06-10-2005, 11:31 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Laura,
You said yours is worse on your left eye lid - does this mean you have it on both?

I have my alarm clock behind me on my headboard. I don't have a nightstand per se but one of those big headboards that can be used for storage too. I also sleep on my side - it used to be I couldn't fall asleep unless I'm on my left. Now, it seems like I have to start on my right side! LOL! The whole eyelid thing is dermatitis all caused from our skin getting dry really. Even if you put tons of moisturizer, it doesn't matter it seems.

By the way, since so many of us use Almay remover pads, check out amerimark - they sell them for 2.99 each while at the stores they go for 4.99 or so. I stocked up on them! As with when I started wearing makeup - I didn't until I was a senior in high school. Guess cuz I was always such a tomboy and a bit slower? I didn't even like boys really...all I cared about was playing soft/volly/basketball! LOL! Now, I can't leave the house without at least some foundation and liner! and lipstick!

molly

Old 06-11-2005, 01:17 AM   #9
(female)

Laura_45 HB User

Molly,

That makes sense about the dermititis starting from skin getting dry. I used two jars in a row of that Almay remover non-oily and I can NEVER do that. I have to switch from the non-oily to the moisturizing and back again. Because the moisturizing is too oily, I can't use it all the time. I will try that other brand you mentioned.

Here's another thing I noticed since peri started, twice a year when the HVAC system at work switches over from AC to heat and back again, I have more allergy-related problems. I sit under a vent and can feel it blowing on my face. I hate to be a "pain" at work with all my various AILMENTS, but I think it's time to say something about changing cubes. Twice a year I go thru several weeks of headaches, increased fatigue and sinusitis from the stupid HVAC. (Did I post about this in a previous message or am I having Deja Vu? UGH... I hate this brain fart stuff.)

Laura

Last edited by Laura_45; 06-11-2005 at 01:19 AM.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:00 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Laura,
I don't care for the Almay non-oily - it seems harder to get the eye makeoff off. I use the oily Almay but I make sure I don't get it in my eyes. Of course, I don't wear mascara on a daily basis so that makes it easier. The recommendation I made in my previous post is still Almay eye removal pads but I got it from amerimark at which they sell for a lower price. I'm a bargain hunter! LOL! So, it's not a different brand.

If you work in an office where there's no ventilation (in other words, windows don't open) and there's nothing but recirculated air and the AC, you get a lot of bad stuff floating around, incl. everyone's recirculated germs and dust and who knows even asbestos. I know b/c I've worked in such an environment! You have every right to say something; afterall, it is affecting your health unless they don't mind you having to use a lot of sick days! Also, keep in mind, if you tend to have allergies in the past and now you're in peri, everything intensifies. I get sinus headaches, sneezing fits, skin issues - allergies run in my famiily!

Hey, what's this brain fart stuff? Did you mean brain fuzz? LOL! I know it's a typo....well, if so, we know you're definitely having the fuzz !

Quote:
(Did I post about this in a previous message or am I having Deja Vu? UGH... I hate this brain fart stuff.)
Laura
[/QUOTE]

Closed Thread