It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2005, 10:53 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User
perimenopause and depo provera questions

Anyone getting close to menopause and on Depo Provera? I have some of the symptoms of perimenopause, but am not menopausal, since I am having a period, even though I've been on Depo for 2 years. I am having very light but lengthy periods about every 3 months.

There are health concerns about staying on Depo for more than 2 years, but I have high blood pressure and cannot go back to the Pill. I am afraid if I go off Depo I will go back to having heavy, nearly continuous bleeding that led me to Depo in the first place (I was just about to get a hysterectomy when the flooding stopped). A progesterone only pill did nothing for the bleeding and made me feel worse before I tried Depo.

I really don't want to go back to heavy continuous bleeding for the next 3 years until I reach 52 and hopefully will be menopausal. Anyone have experience with Depo and making the transition to menopause?

I am also concerned about birth control. I am too paranoid to rely on barrier methods - if I go to irregular periods I will worry constantly that I am pregnant. I don't want to go through having my tubes tied, and then have to have ANOTHER surgery for a hysterectomy to get rid of the bleeding.

Is there anyone with experience in these areas willing to share comments?

Last edited by mgraylorn; 06-23-2005 at 10:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2005, 09:26 AM   #2
(female)

pacosta HB User
Re: perimenopause and depo provera questions

That's a good question that I will soon be facing. I'm just 40 with no symptoms of peri menopause yet. But, would like to hear answers if anyone has them. I have High Blood Pressure which is why I do the Depo shot. I get no period whatsoever.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2005, 09:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User
Re: perimenopause and depo provera questions

I will go for my annual gynecology exam in early September. I'll try to resurrect this thread and report what my doctor tells me then.

I like Depo and would just as soon stay on it until I reach menopause if I can. I'm 49 and so that would be 3 more years, if I'm average.

I have no sisters, my mother is deceased as are all her sisters, and my father's sisters, so I have no close female blood relative to ask about this stuff. I have no idea if women from either side of the family tree had similar experiences to mine. I suspect I have my mother's pattern, since she had made comments about having a longer normal cycle and I had a longer normal cycle. We never talked about feminine biology stuff though, except that I asked her once when she went through menopause and she said 52. She was in her late 60s or early 70s when I asked her this, so she might not even have remembered correctly.

Closed Thread