It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2005, 10:12 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User
Delicate question about tampons and perimenopause

I am 49 and I think I am in perimenopause, but I still get light periods, even though I am on Depo Provera.

I've been using tampons ever since college, but within the last year, using them has become painful. They are painful to insert and extract, even the "regular" days ones which are pretty small.

I assume I must be experiencing thinning skin and tissue "down there" and I wouldn't think dryness would be much of an issue at "that time of the month". Has anyone else had difficulty with tampon use in peri? I hear some women say they have trouble with painful intercourse sometimes during this stage of life, but I've never heard tampons mentioned as a problem.

Is this normal, or do I potentially have a more serious problem I need to get checked out?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2005, 01:58 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User
Re: Delicate question about tampons and perimenopause

I actually started experiencing this years ago when I was on the Pill and had light periods. I would use the smallest tampons, but I think because my periods were so light, that it became especially painful to take out after they expand a bit. I finally just switched to pads which I hated at first, but got used to. I'd only use tampons if I was wearing a swim suit, which is pretty rare. It could also be dryness contributing to the discomfort. I would certainly mention it to your gyn next time, but I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2005, 09:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Thanks for the post. Getting old is great fun isn't it? Weird stuff starts happening in places you never give much thought to, and much of it you can't just drop into a casual conversation.

Old 07-01-2005, 01:03 PM   #4

kittenlover HB User

If insertion is the painful part, you can always try to coat the tip with some KY jelly or something similar.

Old 07-03-2005, 04:01 PM   #5
(female)

JudeNZ HB UserJudeNZ HB User

I'm 51 and nearing the end of peri I hope! Over the past few months I also find inserting a tampon can be painful, and use them less than I did, as soon as it eases off I go back to to wearing a pad which is so much more comfortable.

I am also finding intercourse can be a little painful, one spot gets a grazed feeling. I discussed this with my (female) herbalist, and she said that is probably exactly what is happening. it is the spot where I had stitches after my last child, and it has always been prone to tenderness. She said as we get older and the vaginal walls get thinner that can happen. She did give me hope though by saying that many women find once through menopause this problem rights itself.

Jude

Old 07-05-2005, 02:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I thought about lubricating the tampon, but then thought that would interfere with absorption - absorption being the reason for prefering tampons in the first place. Extraction is also painful, even if they need to be changed. After a couple of tampons things start to feel raw inside which is uncomfortable. I guess I'll have to go to pads. I don't really like that idea for overnight because leakage around the pad is a problem.

Maybe I should push for a hysterectomy and get through everything in one fell swoop!

Old 07-14-2005, 07:45 AM   #7
(female)

evelyn1 HB User

Try "Instead". You can find it on the Internet. I have to name it because there is only one company that makes this product that I am aware of. Harder to find in stores. It is a fabulous alternative to tampons. I just discovered them about a year ago and they have made my periods much more comfortable. They are kind of like a diaphragm and cover your cervix to capture menstrual flow.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:14 AM   #8
(female)

evelyn1 HB User

I just saw another new product. Can't remember the name but it is similar to instead, except you can reuse it.

Closed Thread