It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2005, 11:10 AM   #1
(female)

tmd HB User
Wellbutrin for perimenopause?

Just went to the doctor. She said it did look like I was premenopausal. She prescribed Wellbutrin for the hot flashes and night sweats. Has anybody else heard of this? I'm a little worried about taking it since it's not for depression. Any help or experiences would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Theresa

Old 06-30-2005, 11:57 AM   #2
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User
Re: Wellbutrin for perimenopause?

I took Wellbutrin a while ago. It was not a good mix with me. It made my PMS worse ( it was awful), it made my breasts more tender and painful, and it cause excess drying of my skin and lips. I went on a board ( like this one but only for Wellbutrin users) and found out I was not alone with my symptoms. Alot of other women were having terrible side effecrts with it too. It made me very hyper at first and I could not eat so I lost some weight, but that came back later. I took it for 8 months- I really waited it out hoping it would help, but really I felt worse on it.

The reason my Dr. gave it to me was because I did not want to lose my sex drvie ( Like other antidepressents do to you) .

Hopefully it works for you, but I am curious why your Dr. gave you it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2005, 01:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmd
Just went to the doctor. She said it did look like I was premenopausal. She prescribed Wellbutrin for the hot flashes and night sweats. Has anybody else heard of this? I'm a little worried about taking it since it's not for depression. Any help or experiences would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Theresa

My doctor also prescribed Wellbutrin XL 150mg and I've been taking it for about 6 months and doing okay. Do a search on the ingredient in Wellbutrin and you'll see that it's also used to help people stop smoking. I am taking it for several reasons one is to improve my energy level, because I was very lethargic before I began taking Wellbutrin. Many medications have dual purpose and Bupropion (the main ingredient) is one of those medications.

Old 07-01-2005, 10:30 PM   #4
(female)

cin-dig2 HB User

I have been taking Wellbutrin XL for a couple years. I personally never noticed any side effects. I lost a few lbs. in the beginning, but that's about the only symptom I had.
It does not help me whatsoever with hot flashes.

Old 07-01-2005, 10:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cin-dig2
I have been taking Wellbutrin XL for a couple years. I personally never noticed any side effects. I lost a few lbs. in the beginning, but that's about the only symptom I had.
It does not help me whatsoever with hot flashes.

I agree...it also doesn't help my hot flashes. Taking bcp helped me with that. Before the bcp I was have multiple "heatwaves" daily. Now I can not really remember when I had my last hotflash, but I do have day sweats and night sweats.

Are you taking the 150mg. or 300mg.?

Old 07-02-2005, 07:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

First of all, anti-depressants are not really the medicine for hot flashes but they do help some women. I take Prozac and that helped alot with my hot flashes but when they come, they just come. I think what the anti-depressant does in actuality is when you are having a hot flash, you do not necessarily go bazurko! when it happens. You kind of just float thru them, at least this is how I perceive it. And because of this, it keeps us from having anxiety attacks making are hot flashes worse, but you will still get them. The only think I know that can really stop hot flashes is Estrogen. Maybe even progesterone will help control hot flashes.

Old 07-02-2005, 09:46 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

I was given Wellbutrin XL 150mg and it made me feel worse. At the time, I was already feeling really bad and I took it only for 9 days and while taking it, I felt even worse and like a zombie. I had already lost weight and I was still losing when I was on it. Each person is different when it comes to AD. Unfortunately, sometimes you have to try a bunch before you find one that works for you. It's a shame because you have to deal with some bad side effects. My understanding with ADs is that it doesn't rid peri/menopausal symptoms - it just takes the edge off and let's you handle it better.

molly

Old 07-02-2005, 01:09 PM   #8
(female)

CynAnn HB User

My step daughter (age 25) who recently had a baby went on Wellbutrin XL 150mg for depression and it has helped her so much. She is calmer, more balanced with it and copes better with stress, etc. It helped her PMS and moods, she also lost some weight the first month and the only side effect that she has had is some skin break outs (acne) other than that, she loves it and continues to take it.

My Doctor recommended me going on something for the PM symptoms a while back and said "Wellbutrin XL was very good for PM symptoms".... I am not taking it but have heard positive things and have considered in going on it after my step daughter had such good results.

Old 07-02-2005, 02:33 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

I am officially "In" menopause, and I went to my GYN back in March because of the terrible anxiety, depression, hot flashes and night sweats I was having. I honestly was to the point that whichever he suggested - I would try it!! I never wanted to be on HRT or an AD, but I just knew I couldn't keep on the way I was going. He suggested I try Lexapro because he'd had a lot of patients that had success with it, and less side affects than alot of AD's. I was leary of it, but I tried it anyway. I swear - within two days, I felt like a different person! I'm starting on my fourth month of taking it and I have yet to have a hot flash or night sweat since I started on it. 100% helped the depression and axiety also. The only problem I have with it is the inability to orgasm, but I started taking Ginkgo Biloba to help with that, and it does indeed help! I did go through a period of being very hungry, but that leveled off too. It doesn't work for everyone - but it sure made a new woman out of me!

Old 07-02-2005, 07:24 PM   #10
(female)

tmd HB User

Thanks for your responses. The doctor gave me 150mg of Wellbutrin for one week then it goes up to 300. I'm still trying to decide if I should take it or not. The heat waves drive me nuts, but I don't know if it's that bad yet. I'm the kind who hates to take any medicine unless I absolutely have to take it because I seem to be pretty sensitive to side effects. Thanks for your help.
tmd

Old 07-03-2005, 12:22 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmd
Thanks for your responses. The doctor gave me 150mg of Wellbutrin for one week then it goes up to 300. I'm still trying to decide if I should take it or not. The heat waves drive me nuts, but I don't know if it's that bad yet. I'm the kind who hates to take any medicine unless I absolutely have to take it because I seem to be pretty sensitive to side effects. Thanks for your help.
tmd
TMD, I hope that the Wellbutrin works for you, but if not be encouraged there are other options. Keep communicating with your doctor and of course we are here for you. {{{{HUG}}}}

Closed Thread