It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2005, 10:31 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User
*****ling and burning skin--is this perimenopause? Anyone else have this?

Hi,

I am new to this post as of today. I am 51 and I have had cold flashes more than hot flashes. Also, I get this awful *****ling and burning skin all over. It comes and goes, and is very uncomfortable. I also have head flushes. Anyone else experiencing these irritating symptoms?

Viktik

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2005, 01:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User
Re: *****ling and burning skin--is this perimenopause? Anyone else have this?

Welcome! As with the cold flashes, have you had your thyroid checked? The say a person who is hypo might experience feeling cold. Now, I'm hypo and never felt cold but always had a low tolerance to heat. In fact, I never display any of the symptoms they list as hypthyroid but yet my test results came back that I'm mild hypo. During peri-meno, I had burning arms and feet to the point where they felt like they were on fire and it would hurt really bad. I would soak them in cold water. This came on when I started having heart palps too. Not sure what your head flushes are like but I'm sure I had that too!

molly

Last edited by molly123; 07-04-2005 at 01:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2005, 05:01 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User

Thanks for your reply Molly! I haven't had my thyroid checked, but I think that is a good idea. I do have a mild circulatory disorder in my legs, but my doctor checked my legs the other day and said the circulation is good. I've always been cold, and I live in California, but it is more noticeable now that I am entering that "time of life!" Also, I will try soaking my feet in cold water when the burning starts. The head flushes are sporadic and just kind of annoying, kind of like a band is wrapped around my head. Woe is me!

Vikki

Old 07-04-2005, 05:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

Hi, I know how those weird feelings with your head feel like. I have them alot. I am 51 also. It does feel like a band around your head. When this comes over me, I feel like I can't hold my head up and get really sleepy. Not a good feeling at all! I kept thinking it was Allergy/Sinus, but now I realized that it most likely is a peri/meno symptom!

Old 07-04-2005, 06:26 PM   #5
(female)

JudeNZ HB UserJudeNZ HB User

Thought I'd add my tuppence worth! I also suffer from what I call cold flushes - I have a feeling (not unpleasant) sweep through my body from feet to head, then suddenly I feel cold all over. I never actually feel hot, but my body temp must rise in order to feel cold.

I also have had head rushes, and little stabbing pains at mainly the temple, but not the *****ling and burning sensations. I'm also 51! Must be the age for it.

Jude

Old 07-04-2005, 09:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

I must add that I too had that "band like" feeling around my head when I was suffering too!! I almost forgotten about this one! It wasn't painful or pounding like a headache or like a sinus headache. It was a very uncomfortable way to be. It kind of gives you this spacey feeling? With me, it lasted a long time and didn't subside during the day or night. I remember thinking it was a like a sinus headache and was taking all sorts of OTC pain relievers and none of them worked. Try taking Evening Primrose Oil - 1,000 mg day and see if it helps. I started taking it because it was a peri-zapper for headaches (even tho this band thing wasn't really a headache) in the "Before the Change" book. Once I started taking the EPO, my head felt better and eventually got back to normal and ya know, it was such a relief!!

molly

Old 07-05-2005, 04:08 AM   #7
(female)

Flyerfan HB User

Viktik -
I jumped on the board this morning to inquire about the same thing! How ironic. I am experiencing slight burning/*****ling, sometimes itchy feeling all over, everywhere! It's driving me crazy. I am 36 and still wondering if I am suffering from peri (seeing doc end of month) and this is just another one to add to my list.

Old 07-05-2005, 08:37 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I had this feeling several times during peri. It drove me crazy. It lasted for about a month and then went away only to come back several times later. I think that it was just one of those symptoms that we get.

My symptoms cycled and this was one of them in the cycle. I have not had a period in two years and this symptom has gone away. I hope for good.

Old 07-06-2005, 06:21 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan
Viktik -
I jumped on the board this morning to inquire about the same thing! How ironic. I am experiencing slight burning/*****ling, sometimes itchy feeling all over, everywhere! It's driving me crazy. I am 36 and still wondering if I am suffering from peri (seeing doc end of month) and this is just another one to add to my list.
Flyerfan: You are too young to have these irritating things! I hope your symptoms subside. Ther *****ling/burning and itching seemd to come every three days or so, and when it does it's agonizing! I try to keep my mind busy on other things, but it is still there! I hope you get some help from your doctor and feel better soon! Thanks for your response!

viktik

Old 07-06-2005, 06:41 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judenz
Thought I'd add my tuppence worth! I also suffer from what I call cold flushes - I have a feeling (not unpleasant) sweep through my body from feet to head, then suddenly I feel cold all over. I never actually feel hot, but my body temp must rise in order to feel cold.

I also have had head rushes, and little stabbing pains at mainly the temple, but not the *****ling and burning sensations. I'm also 51! Must be the age for it.

Jude
Thanks for your reply Jude! I'm glad to know someone else has the cold flashes. I am really small, so I wondered if maybe that is the reason I get cold as opposed to hot flashes. I started having regular periods again, just when I thought I was done! Anyway, I hope to get in to see the doctor soon. I hope you will feel better soon too!

Viktik

Old 07-06-2005, 11:22 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktik
Hi,

I am new to this post as of today. I am 51 and I have had cold flashes more than hot flashes. Also, I get this awful *****ling and burning skin all over. It comes and goes, and is very uncomfortable. I also have head flushes. Anyone else experiencing these irritating symptoms?

Viktik
When I first went into perimenopause, I had these symptoms and they were probably some of the most aggravating symptoms of all perimenopause coz u just can't seem to understand why you feel like your skin is burning and why one is so so cold. To reassure you, it does pass. Try not to let it cause you any anxiety by paying attention to it too much and then it becomes a fear. Feel like venting about anytime, we are all available and here to help you.

Andrea

Old 07-07-2005, 06:30 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User

Hi Andrea,

Thank you so much for your encouraging response! These boards are great because you find out you are not alone in your suffering. The *****ling and burning was really bad all day yesterday at work. By evening, fortunately, it settled down. Now it is a new day, so we'll see! I am always cold, and my doctor said I am going in the opposite way in terms of weight--I am losing instead of gaining. I guess that's ok, but I do have a good appetite, which I am grateful for. I'm assuming that you are feeling better, and I need to remember too, that this will pass!

Blessings!
Vikki

Old 07-07-2005, 12:34 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vikki. Same thing happened to me too, Ilost tons of weight and wasn't even trying. Unfortunately, lol, i put that weight back on as i progressed thru perimenopause and now I'm a bit chunky, in the waist, lol well at least i try to laugh about it, anyways. What other symptoms do you have. I have been going through this change now for at least 2.5 years. But I really felt them drastically when my brother passed away and my periods really took a flip forwards and backwards, lol Sometimes after the cold flashes wear off and u don't get them anymore, come the hot flashes. I like it better when I'm wearing the least amount of clothes, lol. feel better, hang in there girl!

Andrea

Old 07-08-2005, 12:24 PM   #14
(female)

kiernanne HB User

Well, I am brand new to this website, and I don't know if this post will go thru, but what you are describing sounds like it might be a condition of "formication" and this word is from the latin word for "ant", formica, and basically means a sensation of ants crawling all over you. I read about this in a women's herbal book i would like to recommend to you, (if making recs. is allowed). The book is titled New Menopausal Years, The Wise Woman Way, by Susun S. Weed, who is, what else, an herbalist. She gives a good explanation of what might be going on, and her information fits with the other posts I read responding to you.

I had the problem you describe for several years. I tried oatstraw teas and skullcap tincture, and these did seem to help. Also got some relief with plain old benedryl. I couldn't afford health care insurance at that time and could not consult a doctor. The book helped. Hope this is a little bit helpful. If you find a copy of the book the information about formication is on pgs 102-103 under the heading "Other Overheated Conditions".... For me it was definitely during the perimenopausal years.

Last edited by kiernanne; 07-08-2005 at 12:32 PM.

Old 07-08-2005, 12:41 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks, I will look into it.

Closed Thread