It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2005, 06:32 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sissypie HB User
Toe and Ankle Cramping???

I'm just curious of anyone noticed any increased cramping in their legs or feet during perimenopause.

I've never had much trouble with those types of cramps before, but the last few months a couple days before my period I get cramps in my big toe, or ankle. I can't even describe the intense pain of having your toe try to bend backwards! This last time it happened, I thought my toe was going to break!

Once my period starts, I don't have them again. It's just very odd.

Thanks for your input,

Sandi

Old 07-05-2005, 10:12 PM   #2
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User
Re: Toe and Ankle Cramping???

Yes I too have exactly what you described. The cramping was so painful and it was always before my period. It started in this peri-menopause time.

I go to acupunture and I told my Dr. about it. With needles and the herbs she gave me it went away. She told me it was hormonal.
But just writing about it I can feel the pain in my toes and foot.

I always seemed to feel it worse on my left toes and foot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2005, 02:57 AM   #3
(female)

JudeNZ HB UserJudeNZ HB User

I've not had it in my big toe, but that cramp feeling in my calves was VERY common. Had it what seemed like all the time for ages. Very rare now, but does happen from time to time.

JUde

Old 07-06-2005, 07:36 AM   #4

babydog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judenz
I've not had it in my big toe, but that cramp feeling in my calves was VERY common. Had it what seemed like all the time for ages. Very rare now, but does happen from time to time.

JUde
I have had this cramping for the last few months. It is worst in my left calve.
But I realize now the pains I have been getting in my feet are actually cramps too. And all the time I was thinking it was arthritis.

Old 07-06-2005, 07:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

You might try eating some food high in potassium when you feel leg cramps coming on, or if you know you are about to have a period. Bananas and orange juice are two good choices, you can look up others.

Old 07-06-2005, 08:20 AM   #6

babydog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgraylorn
You might try eating some food high in potassium when you feel leg cramps coming on, or if you know you are about to have a period. Bananas and orange juice are two good choices, you can look up others.
Hi Mgraylorn

This cramping in my calve started about 2 months ago when my bp started to change. I eat bananas and orange juice everyday. I take it there is a connection between the cramping and blood pressure?

Old 07-06-2005, 05:16 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Just wanted to add, that I get the awful leg & toes cramps at night...if I forget to take my magnesium. I haven't found potassium to be as helpful. I also try to wear the same shoe height every day, as going from sneakers to heels also seems to bring this on. Have you ever had those toe or leg cramps while stuck in a traffic jam & it's your driving foot? Yowee! Nothing you can do!
Hydration seems to help some too. Water, water water!
As for as the BP connection, some BP meds lower the potassium levels in your system.
But then, with some BP meds you're supposed watch your potassium intake so, good to check with the pharmacy before taking potassium if you're on BP meds. Too much or too little potassium can cause heart problems.

Old 07-06-2005, 06:33 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Sissypie HB User

My cramping seems to be strictly at night for some reason. It's just been recently that I've been able to connect that they happen right before my period each month.

Yeowie is right! They hurt! I hate when you think that you almost have it calmed down, and then it comes right back!

Old 07-08-2005, 08:59 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissypie
My cramping seems to be strictly at night for some reason. It's just been recently that I've been able to connect that they happen right before my period each month.
The medical term they use for this is noctural leg cramps, though it does include cramps in the feet and toes and some daytime cramps, as well. I did a search under that term and found thousands of web pages. Increasing potassium, magnesium and/or iron in your diet can often help, depending upon what you happen to be lacking and depending upon your own body's absorption of these minerals. A magnesium supplement can often help. It is supposed to be safe to take up to 350 mg. magnesium in supplement form in addition to what you get in your diet. Most people will get diarrhea if they are getting too much for their body's needs. An iron supplement of up to 18 mg. every couple of days is probably okay for menstrating women, if you aren't getting much iron in your diet. Any more than (and for potassium, too) that you should probably be checked out with blood tests by your doctor, as getting too much could be dangerous. There are also other medications which help some people if dietary or supplement changes don't help.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:54 AM   #10
(female)

browneyedsusie HB User

Hello all
I too have been experiencing cramping or sharp pain in my big toe. For me it seems to be just before ovulation. I find a certain way I place my foot on the floor to take a step can cause the pain or cramp in the joint where the big toe is attached to the foot. I have also been experiencing a discomfort in the shin bone about5-6 inches up from the inside ankle. While rubbing it for comfort the other day I felt what i think is a lymph node along the tibia?? It was small (normal size) like a pea but a little tender, I do have boney shins but anyone think this is normal?? Of course.......I am obsessive about it now and as always anything I can't explain freaks me out these days. I really hate this health anxiety thing. My husband needs my support right now as he under goes a colonscopy this week but nooooooo I have to be freaking out over this little node I can't see but can manage to find!!!
Sorry for venting ladies........Thanks L

Old 07-12-2005, 03:25 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Sissypie HB User

Boy can I relate to that! I have a bad obsession about needing to know the whats and whys to things that happen to my body. I can handle things fine if I just know what it is, and why it's happening. I'm my worst enemy until I do because I will always come up with the worst case scenerio!

I hope your husband's colonoscopy goes well, and that you can have your leg checked just for the peace of mind. Let us know what you find out.....and vent all you want and need to.

Best wishes,
Sandi

Closed Thread