It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2005, 06:58 PM   #1
(female)

heatherhonie HB User
Question 33 years old & doc suspects perimenopause!

Hi Everyone!
My doctor suspects that my progesterone (not sure if its spelled right) level is low. My periods alternate between being normal and very, very light. I have mood swings the week before my period and the day before I am usually very, very fatigued. He put me on Zoloft for PMDD, mild anxiety, & mild chronic fatigue symptoms. It really seems to be helping ~ but my concern is whether or not this is really the problem. I'm only 33.
At what age have others started experiencing symptoms of perimenopause?

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2005, 07:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Re: 33 years old & doc suspects perimenopause!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherhonie
Hi Everyone!
My doctor suspects that my progesterone (not sure if its spelled right) level is low. My periods alternate between being normal and very, very light. I have mood swings the week before my period and the day before I am usually very, very fatigued. He put me on Zoloft for PMDD, mild anxiety, & mild chronic fatigue symptoms. It really seems to be helping ~ but my concern is whether or not this is really the problem. I'm only 33.
At what age have others started experiencing symptoms of perimenopause?

Thanks!
You know when I was your age, I also had a very low progesterone level and it caused me to have 6 misscarriages. I finally had a daughter after using progesterone suppositories and herbal teas from a chinese doctor. I believe it was more the herbal teas from the chinese doctor than the progesterone suppositories coz I used them many times before and it didn't save my pregnancies. I wouldn't say you are in perimenopause, I would jsut say you have a hormonal inbalance and I would take progesterone if I were you and this would take care of that problem. Or get on the bc pill, see if that doesn't even things out a bit. In todays world, doesn't seem like alot of ladies can keep their hormones balanced and I believe some of the reasons are our foods. They are injected with antibiotics and hormones and this can cause a lot of problems for us.

Take care, Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2005, 07:47 PM   #3

kittenlover HB User

I had night sweats in my mid 30's, more so than I do now. I am now 48.
My periods were more irregular then than now...though that is slowly changing.
Perimenopause can last 15+ years so don't think that because your doc said this you are ready for menopause...not the case at all.

Old 07-27-2005, 07:54 AM   #4
(female)

serafina HB User

I am 31 and suffering from the symptoms of perimenopause, so I can totally relate! I keep having tests done to rule out other causes of my symptoms, but since my problems started as soon as I went off bcp, I think it has to be my hormones (or lack thereof). I get night sweats AND day sweats (on and off), have not gotten a period in 4 months (other than those induced by taking progesterone), am having hair loss, acne and joint pain! Have you had your hormones tested? My doc checked my estradiol and said it was normal (54 pg/ml), but I'm thinking that's a little low, even though not in the menopausal range? My progesterone must be low too. It is so frustrating because not only do I feel like a stranger in my own skin, but I haven't had any children yet and am hoping to! Wishing you well!

Old 07-27-2005, 10:21 AM   #5
(female)

jcam HB User

Hi! I just registered to post so this is my first. I am 36 and started experiencing symptoms when I was 31. I got off BC to try for a 2nd child and had LOTS of problems - no period without progesterone, very high FSH level (60's if I recall) and infertility. I eventually did get pg on my own and had twins . I have not been on BC since then because it caused me lots of problems. I haven't had a period since May 2004 and have hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, and some hair loss. Also, my skin is different - dry, aged. I am on zoloft to relieve some of the moody stuff. My ob/gyn says I am premenopausal. I have dealt with the symptoms for at least 4 years now, so I know exactly what you are talking about. I would have some more tests done and stay on the antidepressant - it does help. You are not alone in this. It is bizarre to be so young and experience what my friends won't know about until their in the late 40's, but I have learned to deal with it. There are some good books out there about early menopause. I'll look them up and pass the titles on. They are buried in my office upstairs. Hope this helps.
Suzanne

Old 07-27-2005, 12:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

I would just like to ad something here if I may. Just because we have these symptoms doesn't mean we are perimenopause. Yes, of course there is early menopause and early perimenopause. But there are tests to complete. One, you should have a biopsy, and hormone tests. Just because your progesterone is low or 0 doesn't mean you are perimenopause. There could be somethign wrong with your thyroid, which was my condition at 30, or the ovaries that produce progesterone. Also there are FSH and Pituatary tests which can also help confirm why there is a low progesterone early. AGain, it could bre menopause, again, it could be something else. I would maybe go to an infertility or gyne who is also an endocronoligist. She/he should know what to do from there.

Andrea

Old 07-27-2005, 01:58 PM   #7
(female)

heatherhonie HB User

Thanks to everyone for their posts!
It's good to know that I'm not alone in my search for answers.
I've been on bc since I was 17, except when I stopped at age 25 so that my husband and I could have A baby and I conceived triplets! One baby didn't make it to term, so we have two wonderful boys.
I've had blood work tested for my thyroid because my hair has been falling out / thinning for a couple years and I've had several hypothyroid symptoms ~ but the results came back as within range (TSH was 1.63). My doctor has not tested my hormone levels yet. I have an appointment tomorrow and hope that will be our next step. The Zoloft has definately helped many of my symptoms (joint pain, body aches, energy level, mood, etc.), but if I stopped taking it, then I know that the symptoms will come back. I know something is off balance and prefer to find out what I can do to bring my body back into balance rather than to take Zoloft to compensate.
Best wishes to everyone in their search for better health!!!

Old 07-27-2005, 02:03 PM   #8
(female)

serafina HB User

PLEASE let us know what you end up finding out and I will do the same. I am so depressed over what is happening to me and I'm so afraid of not being able to fix it. I keep counting every hair that falls out of my head and wondering if it is permanent! I have never been this low - maybe together we can find answers. I'm seeing a reproductive endo tomorrow and will share what, if anything, I learn!

Old 07-28-2005, 08:59 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

Just to add a couple of thoughts. I also took the bc pill from late teens through most adult life (no children) and my peri symptoms began within 6 months of going off (around 38 years old). What you are experiencing could be peri symptoms - but that's not to say you are steps away from menopause. I just means that your hormones aren't what they used to be. I'm convinced my problems have been amplified by the fact that I took synthetic hormones (bc pill) for all those years. I read a book a couple of years ago called "What your Doctor didn't tell you about perimenopause" and it helped me tremendously. It takes a holistic approach, including diet and exercise as well as checking for hormone and thyroid imbalances.

Old 07-28-2005, 04:38 PM   #10
(female)

heatherhonie HB User

Saw my family doctor today.
I've only been on Zoloft for about 3 weeks and he wants to wait another month before doing anything. Next week is the week before my period and is usually when everyone in my house is ready to move out! We'll see if the Zoloft helps the wild mood swings and fatigue that I've been experiencing during that week. Meanwhile I'm going to start reading some more books and seeing what I can do. I've committed myself to start exercising again and have reduced my coffee and sugar intake.
I've also been given the name of another doctor that a friend of mine loves. I think I might go get a second opinion. I just don't feel like I'm relating to my doc very well. I don't think there's any harm in having tests done, just to see if anything is off balance. But on doc prefers to continue to wait and see before doing any more thyroid or hormone tests.
Perhaps I am being impatient ~ we'll see after next week.

Closed Thread