It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2005, 05:37 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User
Severe cramps for days but no period!

I have been having severe menstrual cramps for many days but no period. Has anyone else had this? It is really miserable, and I think I would feel so much better if my period would start. Is this a part of perimenopause? Any input would be so helpful...

Thanks gals!
viktik

Old 07-28-2005, 08:28 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User
Re: Severe cramps for days but no period!

Yes! I've been having severe cramps for about 7-8 years and have been pretty successful with controlling by taking Advil. However, when they last for several days or even up to a week before having my period, I've delayed taking Advil (because I don't like to take medicine) until I think "this is really it"! It can be really miserable. Over the last 3 months, my periods have been totally unpredictable (used to be every 21 days on the money). This last month I had cramps for 7 days (not to hard though), then nothing for a few days so I thought I was just going to miss this month. Then I woke up with cramps and my period! Then after having my period for about 4 days, it pretty much quit and then I had cramps again for about 24 hours. Go figure! I've just started using estrogen/progesterone cream for days 14-28 of my cycle and I'm looking forward to day 14 because I think it makes me feel better!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2005, 08:39 PM   #3
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

As I write I am having uncomfortable cramps and I do not know when or if my period will be coming. I also get a extended/bloated stomach too- when a few days ago it was flat. Now it looks like a balloon and it hard. The cramps hurt and keep me from wanting to do much of anything. I am not taking anything for them.

Old 07-29-2005, 01:05 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

chillijava HB User

i have been having severe cramps now for a few years.
it starts around ovulation and continues until about 4 days after my period finishes.
i have not found anything thats works to stop this, also with my cramps comes really bad anxiety, if i dont have the cramps my anxiety is better.
does anyone else have this problem

Old 07-29-2005, 10:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

I haven't had a period in two months, but I still continue with the cramping.

Old 07-29-2005, 12:06 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

Just a follow up on what has worked for me in relieving the pain (or at least making it tolerable). I take Ibuprofen (usually generic because I buy LOTS of it). When cramps are at their worst I take 3 (600 mg total) every 4-5 hours and continue for at least 2 days. It works best when you keep it at a certain level in your system. If it wears off (like during sleeping) and the cramps start up again, it may take hours to take affect again. I also got a prescripton for 800mg ibuprofen pills from my Gyno which I take right before bed when I need it and that usually gets me through the night. I've tried other pain relievers, including coedine and nothing has worked except this. I don't like to take medcine, so only take when I really think I need it, usually 2-3 days. I've asked several doctors their opinion on taking such a high dose and all have said they believe it's okay for that short of a period. If you have other health issues, you might want to check with your dr.

Old 07-29-2005, 09:19 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Sissypie HB User

Good old phantom periods. Aren't they wonderful???? I've had cramps since I was a kid, but the ones you get with phantom periods are deep cramping, and they are the worst ones.

Mine always ease up when my period starts. Ibuprofen helps.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:32 PM   #8
(female)

Scooter1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktik
I have been having severe menstrual cramps for many days but no period. Has anyone else had this? It is really miserable, and I think I would feel so much better if my period would start. Is this a part of perimenopause? Any input would be so helpful...

Thanks gals!
viktik

Old 07-29-2005, 10:40 PM   #9
(female)

Scooter1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktik

Thanks gals!
viktik
Hi. vikitik
Yes, I get them also. I think it is premenopause. Have you been tested
for any fibroids??. I have them and this causes irregular periods and
all kinds of symptoms. Also, I think it is all hormonal
related. Good Luck to you. Hope it is comforting for you to know
that you are not alone.

Lisa

Old 07-30-2005, 05:06 AM   #10
(female)

pageaday HB User

Yep, I know all about those cramps and no sign of a period. It's been going on with me for about three months, and drives me crazy! I kept wishing my period would show. Anyway my doctor put me on a low dose contraception and I'm really hoping this will regulate my periods and hopfully the cramps too. Fingers crossed.

Old 07-30-2005, 06:35 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter1
Hi. vikitik
Yes, I get them also. I think it is premenopause. Have you been tested
for any fibroids??. I have them and this causes irregular periods and
all kinds of symptoms. Also, I think it is all hormonal
related. Good Luck to you. Hope it is comforting for you to know
that you are not alone.

Lisa
Thanks Lisa! The support is so helpful! My last pap smear was last November, and it was clear. It's getting close to my next one, so I will have him check for fibroids. I was there the other day and told him about some sharp pains in my ovaries. He thought I was probably ready to start my period, which I finally did! I was glad I started--the cramps are better now. How life changes when "the change" comes!

viktik

Old 08-18-2005, 07:38 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

dreamer89 HB User

yes I had cramps over a week ago, not severe, but it was time for my period and guess what no period, not even yet, took a pregnancy test it was negative, I go tot he docs tomorrow. my cramps eased up after a week past the due date.

first time I never had a period in 30 years, I am only 42. I was getting the same feeling it feels like it wants to start you get the feeling you get where it feels like it is coming but nothing.

it is as if the body was used to it and was expecting it too, but there is nothing there obviously to shed,

RR

Closed Thread