It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2005, 07:57 AM   #1
(female)

petrilli HB User
Bleeding after menopause

OK ladies, I've read a few posts on this topic which made me believe that bleeding after menopause is not as uncommon as I originally thought.

Have not had a period in about two years. Had yearly exam at the end of January of this year. Everything checked out fine and doctor said that ovary was probably still producing eggs so to continue to use birth contro. Yikes. I'm 53 years old and the thought of still getting pregnant was a big gulp.

Anyways, this past week, my breasts were really sore. I remember noting it because it felt just like before a period and I had a mammogram scheduled for yesterday. I remember thinking that the mammogram was going to be fun with tender breasts. I also had some PMS symptoms.
Lo and behold I woke up yesterday morning with a miniperiod! Bummer. Very light, kind of like periods I had towards the end.
Of course, I called my ob/gyn. At first the nurse said it wasn't that uncommon but she would talk to the dr. My dr. is very conservative so I was betting he would want to see me. Nurse called back and said he wants to see me in two weeks just to check everything out and possible do a biopsy.

Of course, I am a little anxious about this....not any procedures but what the bleeding might mean.

Anyone else have similar experiences. Like someone noted...internet is a blessing and a curse. Lots of info, but it can get scary.

I appreciate any responses.

pat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2005, 10:05 AM   #2
(female)

cdaus HB User
Re: Bleeding after menopause

I've always been told to consider any postmenopausal bleeding as cancer until confirmed otherwise. Don't mean to scare you but don't take this lightly.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:44 PM   #3
(female)

Stavia HB User

The same thing happened to me. 17 months after my last period, I had some very light spotting that lasted half a day. It was preceded by PMS symptoms.
I had a strong feeling that it was just hormonal, a last gasp, so to speak.

I did see my doctor about it. I told him about the PMS, but he said that endometrial cancer had to be ruled out. He did a pelvic exam and a Pap and sent me for pelvic and transvaginal ultrasounds. Everything came back normal. He told me that if I had any bleeding or spotting again, he would want to do an endometrial biopsy.

This happened a year ago and I haven't had any bleeding, spotting or PMS since.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:47 PM   #4
(female)

petrilli HB User
Thanks for the reply

It really does feel like a period but of course I want to get it checked out.
Doctor doesn't want to see me until the 15th and as he pretty conservative, I feel ok about it.

Stuff like this scares me. I know there can be other causes but your mind just races to the worst case scenario.

pat

Old 08-05-2005, 12:58 PM   #5
(female)

Stavia HB User

I know what you mean. Even though I had a gut feel that everything was alright, waiting for the test results was agonizing.

Old 08-07-2005, 05:14 AM   #6
(female)

vickinot HB User

I clearly remember my mom going through this after menopause and crying because she believed she had cancer. Her doctor told her it was burst capillaries or something of the sort. She's 87 now, by the way.

Old 08-13-2005, 09:47 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

LINDA505 HB User

Hello, I just posted a new thread regarding the same issue. I also felt like I was going to start a period, sore breast, pms, everything I use to have when I was menstruating. Then I noticed a pink tinge when I wiped. This has happened 3 times with 1 event each time. If I wasn't startled by it the first time I might have missed it because it was so light. My vagina feels sore and
irritated as well. I read on one sight that post menopausal spotting and bleeding is very common and that 90% of the cases are not cancer. Even with the small percentage that can be it is still frightening. I understand that
hormonal changes can cause some vaginal spotting and bleeding and I almost feel like that is what is happening. Since this started I have not had any hot flashes at all. You can bleed or spot from atrophic vaginitis as well and this is
common among women as well. It is nice to be on a site where we have common concerns.

Old 08-13-2005, 11:37 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

LINDA505 HB User

hello its me again. I read on the net that to determine if the bleeding is coming from the vagina use a tampon to see if blood appears on it. I did that and there was blood on it. Nothing was coming out of my vagina when I wiped myself. I decided to flush my vagina with warm water and some patchy blood came out. I put in another tampon and no blood. I feel like there must be something along with wall of my vagina that is bleeding but not enough for it to go through my vagina. Has anyone ever had this...I am going crazy with worry.

Closed Thread