It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2005, 09:18 AM   #1
(female)

danigirl HB User
Flaxseed oil capsules and omega 3...are they the same?

I have a bottle of flaxseed oil capsules (high lignan) 1000 mg each; does anyone know if this is the same or just as good as taking an omega 3 supplement?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2005, 11:48 AM   #2

kittenlover HB User
Re: Flaxseed oil capsules and omega 3...are they the same?

You didn't say the dosage on your Omega-3.
Omega-3 is usually eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Flax is alpha-linolenic acid and the body needs to convert it to an omega-3. Bodies aren't as efficient and so you don't really know how much you end up with taking the flax.
Flax is good but you are comparing apples to oranges in terms of how much omega-3 you will obtain from the flax.
Also, refrigerate the flax oil, it goes rancid quickly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2005, 02:05 PM   #3
(female)

mj1967 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danigirl
I have a bottle of flaxseed oil capsules (high lignan) 1000 mg each; does anyone know if this is the same or just as good as taking an omega 3 supplement?
Actually flaxseed oil capsules are worthless and so is the oil. You must by the milled flaxseed to get the full benefit of the lignans and omega 3.

Last edited by mj1967; 08-20-2005 at 02:06 PM.

Old 08-22-2005, 05:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj1967
Actually flaxseed oil capsules are worthless and so is the oil. You must by the milled flaxseed to get the full benefit of the lignans and omega 3.
mj,

When you say "flaxseed oil capsules are WORTHLESS" do you mean actually NO WORTH whatsoever -- that is that no one receives ANY value from them whatsoever? What do they do? Just pass right through the body and leave no omega 3's or calories or anything behind?

Curious what "WORTHLESS" actually means,
--Rheanna

Old 08-22-2005, 07:45 AM   #5
(female)

danigirl HB User

Sorry, but that is not true. I talked to a nurse this weekend. She said flaxseed oil capsules are extremely beneficial for women in perimenopause. It provides protection not only against breast cancer, but helps with hormone balancing. It also is great for hair, skin and nails. What I was asking is if I needed to take an additional supplement to get my omega 3's but my nurse friend said no, because in effect flaxseed oil contains some of these properties. If you also go onto Christine Northrup M.D.'s website, she also talks about the benefits of flaxseed oil capsules in perimenopause and beyond.

Old 08-22-2005, 09:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danigirl
Sorry, but that is not true. I talked to a nurse this weekend. She said flaxseed oil capsules are extremely beneficial for women in perimenopause. It provides protection not only against breast cancer, but helps with hormone balancing. It also is great for hair, skin and nails. What I was asking is if I needed to take an additional supplement to get my omega 3's but my nurse friend said no, because in effect flaxseed oil contains some of these properties. If you also go onto Christine Northrup M.D.'s website, she also talks about the benefits of flaxseed oil capsules in perimenopause and beyond.
danigirl,

There are several ways to get omega 3 into the diet, and it sounds like your flaxseed oil capsules are working just fine. As kittenlover says, there may be some question as to how much is being converted by your body into omega 3's but at least you're putting a good thing into your diet. And yes, flax oil and ground flaxseeds need to be refrigerated.

I've been using a lot of cold-pressed canola oil (including in homemade mayo) and almonds in my diet for the last couple of months, as well as ground up flax seed in my homemade bread. It's now time to start thinking about the total amount of fat-calories I'm consuming. But I do feel better for switching to these forms of fats, which are high in omega 3's (or their precursers which have to be converted by the body -- I'm still studying up on how to understand all that).

--Rheanna

Old 08-25-2005, 08:53 PM   #7
(female)

mj1967 HB User

You would need to take 14 capsules 1000mg each to equal one teaspoon of the oil. In my opinion that is worthless. Didnt mean to offend.

Closed Thread