It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2005, 05:15 PM   #1
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User
Hi hopefully, molly and the rest of the gang!

I know! It has been a long time. I am back. I got kicked off and couldnt remember my password. I just didnt take the time to redo my password untill now. Update: I was doing fantastic on the Paxil, went to generic. Gained 10lbs. Got this extra roll under my boobs. I hated it but felt GREAT! Told the dr I cant afford another 10lbs at this middle age. Switched to Wellbutrin and I feel like crap! Major anxiety is back. major brain fog is back. Depression is worse. I am not going to take it this weekend and call the dr on Monday. I have been on Wellbutrin for about a month. Was going to give it 6 weeks but??? The good of Wellbutrin is I have lost that ugly roll under my boobs, sex is working better and quicker. Oh what are we peri women to do? Hi to all of you. Hopefully, Texas is too hot!

Old 08-27-2005, 07:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User
Re: Hi hopefully, molly and the rest of the gang!

Psalms is good to hear from you ! Yes, I heard that it's very hot in Texas. A friend told me that one day in the Dallas area it was up to 103!!! I no longer live in Texas, because of my hubby's job situation I'm now living in Florida. I surely miss Texas and if it's the Lord's will maybe I'll go back one day.

I understand about you switching from Paxil to another antidepressant. Weight gain at our age is not fun. I remember back in the good old before perimenopause days I could easily lose 5 pounds in one week...now...well...you know .

Wellbutrin is good for some people in helping them to lose weight, boosting your energy level, and improve your libido. Are you taking the XL and how many mg.? I'm taking Wellbutrin XL 150 mg. once a day, and lately I think that I need to go up to 300mg. Since my blood pressure is elevated the last dr. that I saw doesn't think it's wise for me to take bcp anymore. Honestly, I'd rather find something else beside bcp. The ob/gyn prescribed Aygestin, a progestin only pill, that is suppose to help me with all my symptoms. I haven't tried it yet, because I was trying to see if I bleed this month. The dr. said that it's possible that I won't bleed at all. Wonderful then I can begin the 12 month countdown to menopause. I'm praying and believing that I'll feel a whole lot better during menopause. My mother is doing wonderful, so I'm hoping that I'll also have that peace.

The weather is beautiful here in Florida, but I felt like poop today! This has been going on for a couple of days and I'm tired of trying to figure out what I'm doing right or wrong. I vaguely remember having such a good day recently that it was almost like I was "normal" again. Then WHAM out of no where I'm dealing with anxiety, panicky feeling, sweating, sweating, sweating, dizzy, dizzy, very dizzy, spacey, spacey, very spacey , nervous, depressed, crying, weepy feeling. This is how I felt today...I felt like asking my DH to take me to the hospital, but I know that they would not do anything to help me...maybe they would have given me something for the anxiety, but I already have plenty of antianxiety medication at home.

I've been off all hormones since August 3rd and was doing well for many days until recently. I think the Toprol XL that I take for my blood pressure, which happens to he slightly elevated since I stopped taking bcp, has helped with my anxiety. It was shortly after I took my Librax (for my nervous stomach) and then the Toprol that I was able to fall asleep and when I woke up I felt a lot calmer. I didn't feel like I was dizzy and drifting away.

Do you think that you'll go back on Paxil since it made you feel so much better? Did you notice that the Paxil caused your appetite to increase? Did you go through Paxil withdrawal with those lovely brain zaps?

Last edited by Hopefully; 08-27-2005 at 07:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2005, 07:45 PM   #3
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

Hi Hopefully! isnt it fun to keep in touch even though you have changed states! I am on 300mg of wellbutrin. When I call on Monday to the dr, I may ask for the 150. i started the first week with 150, then moved to 300. My dr suggested a possibility of paxil and wellbutrin together. I will let you know what she says. I had to take a xanax today because I was shaking so bad and my heart was racing. It was hell on earth. The xanax helped tremendously.

How was it finding new drs? I think that would be difficult if you had drs you liked alot in Texas. Maybe you found even better ones.

Paxil withdrawls were not too bad unless this anxiety and depression is from the paxil. I did have brain zaps but I could tolerate them ok.

How is your bp? Mine is better with the Avapro. My dr is happy. I have terrible white coat and it averages 120-130/80 in the drs office. I dont really know if I could ever go on BC pills though.

We are burning up in Texas. We are like cave dwellers. it is so hard to go out unless it is to a pool or another air condtioned building. I havent walked because it is just to darn hot. I know I complain about the weather alot. Remember February when it rained nearly everday. We sure needed that rain in preparation for this heat!

Have you been knocked off the boards and had to reenter your password. I am so clueless about my password on these boards. I finally changed it to something a little easier, but who knows I might forget it again.

Old 08-27-2005, 08:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

I've heard of many people who take Wellbutrin along with another antid. It's good to hear that you transitioned well coming off Paxil.

Although I'm taking Toprol XL my bp is nothing like it was before going through perimenopause. My bp use to be about 106/64 and I felt good...a bit lightheaded at times when I'd bend over or stand up suddenly, but it wasn't anything to complain about. Now my bp is about 125/85. On occasion it will drop to 117/73. I don't know what I need to do in order to get it back lower. I'm exercising almost every other day for almost an hour. I'm up to 13 miles on my recumbent bike . I've lost weight and inches. My diet is very good. I just need to get with an expert doctor who deals with blood pressure.

Oh, it's not fun trying to find new doctors in Florida. I have a lot of family here, but I'm so picky about the type of doctor that I want. Is it too much to ask for someone who is highly knowledgeable, female and compassionate .

I've not heard of Avapro, but I'll do a search. Ever since that allergic reaction to Lisinopril I'm cautious about trying any bp meds., but I know that at this point in my life I need something.

Texas has that lovely dry heat...while Florida is extremely hot and humid, but lately it has been in the 80's to mid 90's.

Please post and let me know what your doctor suggests with the Wellbutrin and Paxil. Maybe that is something I need to check into...well first to find a doctor .

Old 08-28-2005, 12:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi pslam,
great to hear from you! It has been a long time. You're another that switched from Paxil to Wellbutrin (Jackie, another poster here - did the same thing). You know that things just can't be perfect, huh? It's like you either take Paxil and feel great but deal with weight gain and low sex drive or you go on something like Wellbutrin that helps you lose the weight, brings back the sex drive but you feel crappy too! What's a girl to do!!
You mentioned that your dr. might have you on both - I am curious as to how that will affect you. I was on Wellbutrin for a very short time - 9 days only - and it was during my bad peri times so I don't know if it was the peri symptoms that were making me feel bad or it was the Wellbutirn. All I know is that I didn't better! I know it made me really numb-like in the head! I felt like a zombie! The Paxil made me feel better almost right away. I did put back on the weight (lbs.) that I've lost during my ordeal BUT the inches aren't there! I think working out everyday with light weights and walking a lot helps...of course, watching what I eat forever makes a difference too!
As with remembering yoru password ...I ususally use the same password for site stuff...this way, you don't have too many ones to remember!

Anyway, hope to see you around more...keep me posted and how you're doing!

molly

Old 08-28-2005, 12:54 PM   #6

babydog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly123
Hi pslam,
great to hear from you! It has been a long time. You're another that switched from Paxil to Wellbutrin (Jackie, another poster here - did the same thing). You know that things just can't be perfect, huh? It's like you either take Paxil and feel great but deal with weight gain and low sex drive or you go on something like Wellbutrin that helps you lose the weight, brings back the sex drive but you feel crappy too! What's a girl to do!!
You mentioned that your dr. might have you on both - I am curious as to how that will affect you. I was on Wellbutrin for a very short time - 9 days only - and it was during my bad peri times so I don't know if it was the peri symptoms that were making me feel bad or it was the Wellbutirn. All I know is that I didn't better! I know it made me really numb-like in the head! I felt like a zombie! The Paxil made me feel better almost right away. I did put back on the weight (lbs.) that I've lost during my ordeal BUT the inches aren't there! I think working out everyday with light weights and walking a lot helps...of course, watching what I eat forever makes a difference too!
As with remembering yoru password ...I ususally use the same password for site stuff...this way, you don't have too many ones to remember!

Anyway, hope to see you around more...keep me posted and how you're doing!

molly
Hey Molly,

I was wondering - are you still on the 10mg or did you go back to the CR formula of Paxil. Any plans to taper off? I tried the Paxil based upon your experience and it is working well for me. It seems to have even stabilized my menstrual cycle. But all the talk about withdrawal is making me very nervous!!

Old 08-28-2005, 06:37 PM   #7
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

Hi! Molly, it is so great to hear from you too. wouldnt it be great if we could all meet for lunch somewhere. Our cyber peri group! You guys are my best support. I am so thankful for a compassionate female dr too. She is young though, but she listens. I am going to ask her to study up a little on peri.
Today was a good day at church because I took a half a xanax. It held all this crap back some. We were out shopping this evening and here comes the brain fog, etc. Yuck! I feel so lost on what to do. I do love the paxil. that is a scary thought too, about loving a drug. This wellbutrin is maybe not the right choice for me. My dr said that the paxil cr causes less weight gain. Is that true? I am reading up on lexapro. My sil said it didnt make her gain, but the sex thing is true for it too. Maybe the paxil and the wellbutrin will balance each other out. I call my dr tomarrow. I am praying that she will just call something in and I dont have to go see her. For crying out loud, I was just there last week. Havent seen my obgyn. This summer was time for my annual. I have been to busy seeing this gp. I love my obgyn but he has no compassion or understanding for peri. there is an "Institute of Womens Health" here with a sexual wellness clinic and a dietician. I saw that there is a female obgyn would graduated form med school in the 80's. That should put her right at the peri age. I am so scared to change drs though. I have had my dr since it was time for me to see one.

Hopefully, your BP sounds great. Try not to worry about it. I would LOVE my numbers to be below 120/80. but my dr said I am doing great.

BlueDog, it is nice to meet you. I understand about the fear of paxil withdrawls. Everyone talks about it. Just enjoy feeling great right now. when I stopped, It had brain zaps. Some may have them worse than others, but I managed ok with mine. Some people talk about hell going off paxil. Going on Wellbutrin is hell for me.

I will let you guys know what happens tomarrow with my dr. Something needs to change. I might ask for low dose paxil and low dose wellbutrin. Oh Jesus help us!!!
Talk to you guys tomarrow!

Old 08-29-2005, 09:53 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi babydog,
I've read your other posts and know that the Paxil has been helping you! So glad! Right now, I'm on the 10 mg generic Paxil. Is the Paxil CR available again? I will probably just stick to the generic because it costs $10/month for me vs. $20. When I got on the generic, I didn't feel any difference. I plan to wean off but will do so maybe after I get a colonscopy done. I really notice that since being on the Paxil, things don't freak me out like they would've in the past. I was told that if I had anxiety tendencies, I should stay on it for the rest of my life. I never had anxiety for no reason - usually, something triggers it - somethingtragic that happens that affects me and I guess I'm a bit of a worrier too. I do notice now that I don't worry about my BF as much when he travels while in the past, I would. So, it seems like its a good thing to be on it but at the same time, I really don't like being depended on a med. As with the side effects from weaning, I guess I would just deal with it when the time comes. Sometimes people don't get any side effects - I didn't really have ay when I got on it so hopefully when I get off of it, I won't get any either!

What are you plans with it?

molly
Quote:
Originally Posted by babydog
Hey Molly,

I was wondering - are you still on the 10mg or did you go back to the CR formula of Paxil. Any plans to taper off? I tried the Paxil based upon your experience and it is working well for me. It seems to have even stabilized my menstrual cycle. But all the talk about withdrawal is making me very nervous!!

Old 08-29-2005, 10:24 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Psalms I'm interested in hearing what your doctor suggested. I know that I need to see a doctor because lately I'm always sweating, with or without a hot flash. Then at night I alternate between hot and cold (under the sheets, on top of the sheets, under the sheets, on top of the sheets). All of this has taken place since I stopped taking the birth control pills. I see now that they were helping me with a lot of unpleasant symptoms, many that I had almost forgotten about.

Molly, if you are feeling that good on the Paxil I'd keep taking it until it poops out. I've been told that after awhile (whatever awhile means) many antidepressants will just stop working, or poop out. I had a co-worker that experienced this and her doctor switched her to Lexapro and she's doing well. With what I've been dealing with lately going back on Paxil is looking good. The 7 days that I took Paxil back in 2002 I felt so wonderful...let's not discuss what happened on the 8th day and many months afterwards. On Paxil I had a feeling a wellbeing, energy, and clarity of mind.

Gotta get back to work. I'll check back later to get Psalms update .

Old 08-29-2005, 11:02 AM   #10

babydog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly123
Hi babydog,
I've read your other posts and know that the Paxil has been helping you! So glad! Right now, I'm on the 10 mg generic Paxil. Is the Paxil CR available again? I will probably just stick to the generic because it costs $10/month for me vs. $20. When I got on the generic, I didn't feel any difference. I plan to wean off but will do so maybe after I get a colonscopy done. I really notice that since being on the Paxil, things don't freak me out like they would've in the past. I was told that if I had anxiety tendencies, I should stay on it for the rest of my life. I never had anxiety for no reason - usually, something triggers it - somethingtragic that happens that affects me and I guess I'm a bit of a worrier too. I do notice now that I don't worry about my BF as much when he travels while in the past, I would. So, it seems like its a good thing to be on it but at the same time, I really don't like being depended on a med. As with the side effects from weaning, I guess I would just deal with it when the time comes. Sometimes people don't get any side effects - I didn't really have ay when I got on it so hopefully when I get off of it, I won't get any either!

What are you plans with it?

molly
Hi Molly,
Thanks for writing back. I am doing fine on the 12.5mg so no plans to go higher. I am going to Disney world next month so no plans to make any changes till I com back from Florida. But my brother just recently ended up in the same boat as me. Panic attacks with high blood pressure as a complication. My cousin also had this problem! They are both on beta blockers. My brother is taking buproprion (related to wellbutrin) and my cousing takes xanax as needed.
I am going to talk with my psychologist about this tonight. She seemed very non commital last week and although this drug has saved my life for now, I dont' want to be on it forever. I will talk to her and my GP about alternatives and see about weaning off perhaps sometime in January.

I know how you feel though. I would definitely get that colonoscopy out of the way first!!

Old 08-29-2005, 12:31 PM   #11
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

Hi everyone, we have been so busy lately. DH and I and my FIL have been putting down laminate flooring in 3 rooms, painting the walls etc. Dh is on the last bit in the den and we really want our couch and tv back!!!! Update: Put a call into the dr first thing this am. She returned my call and questioned why I wasnt doing well on the wellbutrin because I had chosen to hang with it at my appt. How do you explain all this peri anxiety? Does it make sense? I told her that I have felt the best on the Paxil and she suggested that we do that. Go back. I am doing the paxil cr because it is possible the generic is the culprit of the bad weight gain. I will do my darn best to diet and exercise. I reminded her that she has suggested doing low dose paxil and low dose wellbutrin. She is for that but we will see on the 16th of Sept at my appt. God did answer my prayer in that I didnt have to go in a see her. Molly, I am like you. I do better with issues on the paxil then without, like going to see the dr.
I woke up a 3am and couldnt go back to sleep. took the other half of DS benadryl and zonked out. I have some classic side effects to the wellbutrin. and one is insomnia, racing heart,(anxiety)

Hopefully, I remember you saying that you had a hard time on the paxil. I hope you can try it again. I will pray for you. That you can find the right dr and that you will find the right med. Do you think Wellbutrin is a good peri med? I question it. I like the sex and weight lose though.

Got to go get DS from kinder! Talk to you guys later!

Old 08-29-2005, 02:20 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslam 91
Hi everyone, we have been so busy lately. DH and I and my FIL have been putting down laminate flooring in 3 rooms, painting the walls etc. Dh is on the last bit in the den and we really want our couch and tv back!!!! Update: Put a call into the dr first thing this am. She returned my call and questioned why I wasnt doing well on the wellbutrin because I had chosen to hang with it at my appt. How do you explain all this peri anxiety? Does it make sense? I told her that I have felt the best on the Paxil and she suggested that we do that. Go back. I am doing the paxil cr because it is possible the generic is the culprit of the bad weight gain. I will do my darn best to diet and exercise. I reminded her that she has suggested doing low dose paxil and low dose wellbutrin. She is for that but we will see on the 16th of Sept at my appt. God did answer my prayer in that I didnt have to go in a see her. Molly, I am like you. I do better with issues on the paxil then without, like going to see the dr.
I woke up a 3am and couldnt go back to sleep. took the other half of DS benadryl and zonked out. I have some classic side effects to the wellbutrin. and one is insomnia, racing heart,(anxiety)

Hopefully, I remember you saying that you had a hard time on the paxil. I hope you can try it again. I will pray for you. That you can find the right dr and that you will find the right med. Do you think Wellbutrin is a good peri med? I question it. I like the sex and weight lose though.

Got to go get DS from kinder! Talk to you guys later!

Psalms to answer your question about Wellbutrin being a good peri medication my answer is that I don't know , you'd think that I would know after taking it for a year or longer, but I'm undecided.

I had one doctor to question why I was given Wellbutrin when other antidepressants are better suited for perimenopause. The doctor that gave me Wellbutrin said that many patients feel weird on Effexor so she wanted to try Wellbutrin instead. Then I've seen another doctor who thinks Wellbutrin is a good perimenopause medication.

Someone said that it's good for eliminating hot flashes, well to be honest with you if all that I had were hot flashes I'd probably just seek a natural way of handling that symptom. It's all those other nasty symptoms including hot flashes that I'm trying to eliminate.

As far as Wellbutrin stopping or decreasing hot flashes I also question that belief. As I told you earlier I've been dealing with some major sweating lately. Well today I noticed that after I took the Wellbutrin I wasn't having the sweating issue, but I was having hot flashes without any sweating.

The other day I was having a horrific headache and then heart palpitations that were totally eliminated when I took the Wellbutrin. After taking the Wellbutrin I wondered if I was going through withdrawal, because I could not recall if I had taken my Wellbutrin the previous day. All I know is that I was soooooooooo thankful for the Wellbutrin getting rid of that painful headache and my racing heart.

Okay here comes another heatwave working it's way up from my chest to my head and arms. I'm really looking forward to seeing that new ob/gyn on Sept. 12.

Old 08-29-2005, 06:25 PM   #13
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

Hi! I didnt get a chance to tell you since I had to go get my son from school, but I woke up at 3am sweating, hot as all get out. I know we have 100 degree temps now, but I dont think it was the weather. I really dont know. its all so difficult. I have had internal jitters too since being off the paxil.

Old 08-29-2005, 07:01 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

Pslam 91,

I wanted to check on you since you posted on my thread, and haven't been back. Did you wean very slowy off the Paxil before stopping? I was curious about that. My doctor told me to just stop the Lexapro and start the Wellbutrin and I did. I had already cut down to 5mg the week before, so I didn't think it would be any big deal. I was ok that week, but a week later - wow - I felt horrible!! The brain zaps were the least of it, I felt as if I was dying. I got on the boards and researched Lexapro withdrawal and realized that's what I had. So - I immediately took 5mg and felt better within an hour. Amazing! So - I took that for a week, this week I've gone down to 2.5mg and next week every other day and then stop. I see that you have given up on the Wellbutrin, but that's what made me wonder if you went off the Paxil cold turkey. If so, it's probably more to do with that than the Wellbutrin. At first, I thought it was the Wellbutrin doing that to me and then realized it wasn't. Last week I went up to 300mg and doing better. I hope I do well on it, as the Lexapro worked great - but like you, the weight gain and sex issue was very disturbing to me. I have only been on the Wellbutrin XL nearly 3 weeks, but it has not helped with the sex issue, but hoping that it takes some time for that to resolve itself. Do notice I am not nearly as hungry though, which is a very good thing!

Maybe your doc will do the combination therapy of the Paxil and 150mg of the Wellbutrin and that will work for you. Mine wouldn't do that, so I am hoping the Wellbutrin works! Keeping my fingers and toes crossed anyway.

Good luck to you.

Jackie

Old 08-29-2005, 07:28 PM   #15
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User

Hi little, thanks for inquiring. I too have thought that it might be paxil withdrawls. I almost brought that up to my dr today and thenm thought she might think that I am crazy. yes, I did stop the paxil and went staight to the wellbutrin. I had already cut the generic in half though. I cut it in half since I was gaining so much weight. I am already feeling a bit better but we will see how I do in the morning. Who knows? All this stuff confuses me!

Closed Thread