It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2005, 11:59 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User
Question 39 - too young for peri ?

Hi,
I am 39 (40 in a few months) and was on the BC Pill for many years. I went off of it a couple of years ago (age 36)

After I went off the BC Pill, slowly things started happening (bad PMS, cramps, long periods, acne).

Now (past 2 months) I've begun having heart palpitations, night sweats, insomnia, anxiety, and loss of drive.

I've seen a cardiologist & ruled out any heart problems (he saw benign PAC's/PVC's).

But every doctor I see thinks I'm too young for peri.

I have an appt. with my ob/gyn in two weeks, but really am wondering what is up with me??

Any comments or info is really appreciated - thank you very much.

Old 08-31-2005, 12:05 PM   #2

babydog HB User
Re: 39 - too young for peri ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zosolizard
Hi,
I am 39 (40 in a few months) and was on the BC Pill for many years. I went off of it a couple of years ago (age 36)

After I went off the BC Pill, slowly things started happening (bad PMS, cramps, long periods, acne).

Now (past 2 months) I've begun having heart palpitations, night sweats, insomnia, anxiety, and loss of drive.

I've seen a cardiologist & ruled out any heart problems (he saw benign PAC's/PVC's).

But every doctor I see thinks I'm too young for peri.

I have an appt. with my ob/gyn in two weeks, but really am wondering what is up with me??

Any comments or info is really appreciated - thank you very much.
Sadly you are not too young for peri. There are plenty of women on this board in their late 30's with the same symptoms you have. Some have been confirmed via blood tests that they are indeed in peri.

When did your mother enter into menopause??
Have you considered going back on the pill to see if that relieves any of your symptoms??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2005, 12:09 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

Hi babydog, and thank you very much for your quick response.

Honestly I didn't think I was too young, but with three doctors telling me I am "too young", it made me wonder.

I actually recently quit smoking so that I could go back onto the pill if my ob/gyn thinks it's a good idea!! I'm willing to do almost anything to help relieve these symptoms, because they sure do stink!

I guess I will expect a blood test when I go see her (??)

Oh, my mom hit menses at age 52. My sister had a hysterectomy at 39 so I cannot base anything on her. My other sister is 47 & she doesn't seem to have ANY hormonal issues. Hmmm! Guess we are all over the place, lol.

Old 08-31-2005, 12:25 PM   #4

babydog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zosolizard
Hi babydog, and thank you very much for your quick response.

Honestly I didn't think I was too young, but with three doctors telling me I am "too young", it made me wonder.

I actually recently quit smoking so that I could go back onto the pill if my ob/gyn thinks it's a good idea!! I'm willing to do almost anything to help relieve these symptoms, because they sure do stink!

I guess I will expect a blood test when I go see her (??)

Oh, my mom hit menses at age 52. My sister had a hysterectomy at 39 so I cannot base anything on her. My other sister is 47 & she doesn't seem to have ANY hormonal issues. Hmmm! Guess we are all over the place, lol.
Weeellllll, if you mother hit menopause at 52, it is possible she began perimenopause at 40. Peri takes between 5 and 15 years BEFORE actual menopause. By and large the ladies here have found relief from birth control pills or antidepressants. Since you have quit smoking and I assume you did well on the pill when you took, that is definitely worth a try. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't even mention all the peri symptoms since they seem so convinced you are not in the category anyway. Just tell them you are interested in going back on the pill for birth control reasons. My experience with doctors is that if you offer too much information they get overwhelmed.
Just my opinion ofcourse.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Old 08-31-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

I never had any idea that things can start so many years before menopause! wow!

It's funny, I did quit smoking so I could go back on the pill to hopefully relieve some of the less troubling issues (acne, cramps) and to have reliable BC - and a month after quitting smoking is when the worse problems came (palps, sweats, etc). Go figure, quitting smoking set this off

Anyway, I may take your advice & not get into too much about the peri symptoms, and just ask for the pill.

Thanks again!

Old 08-31-2005, 01:15 PM   #6
(male)

smc612 HB User

hi----i also started peri at 38. went through menopause at 51. symptoms were off and on. became constant when i went through menopause. i quit smoking back in january--didn't make it started again. about 6 weeks into it i started having anxiety attacks,was depressed beyond belief,insomnia. i felt the same way. not-smoking created a lot of symptoms. needless to say that is not why i started again but when i did some of the symptoms went away. read some articles on what to expect months after you quit. i have quit several times and had the same rection for months after each quit. the benefits of quitting certainly outweigh the risks. it all stops within about 3 months. good luck to you!!

Old 08-31-2005, 01:26 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

zosolizard:
I think we're twins, except for the smoking part. I quit taking bcp at around 37 and within a year developed basic peri symptoms: hard cramping, mood swings, insomnia. I'm now 47 and about two years ago added hot flashes and fatigue to the list. Then about 4 months ago, started having severe anxiety with a whole list of other symptoms associated with that (out of the blue - never had anxiety before).

My mom had a hysterectomy at a young age, so don't have that history. But, I'm convinced my symptoms started early because of taking bcp all those years and then finally going off. My hormones have NEVER recovered and I'm still paying the price.

No offense to your Dr.'s, but many Dr's don't recognize the fact the peri symptoms can start many years before menopause. You are not too young.

My guess is that it's not the quitting smoking that has caused an increase in your symptoms, but your hormones not being produced at normal levels.

I'm considering trying antidepressants myself, but am pursuing other things first to see if I can level out my hormones. I would never, personally, go back on bcp. Sorry, but I disagree with the advice of not mentioning peri symptoms to your Dr. There are health risks with taking ANY synthetic hormone and as a long term user of bcp, you alreay know that. I think in the long run you'd be much better off to find a Dr. that believes in peri symptoms so that they can best help you make decisions of how to treat it. I think certainly that we have to be our own advocates for our health care and make our own decisions, but I believe you may be able to find a Dr. that is interested in really helping you in this area.

Old 08-31-2005, 01:59 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

Thank you very much for your replies, ladies

I am actually going to see my (female) ob/gyn in two weeks, and I think she will really listen to me & not brush off the idea of peri. She seems very caring, so I think maybe she will take me seriously.

I think the other doctors (cardiologist & GP) just looked at my age & made their decision based upon that. A female psychiatrist actually is the one who said "hey, go see your ob/gyn - just for the heck of it".

I'm going to explore all routes, definitely. My quest for relief has begun.

thanks again, you guys are great.

Old 08-31-2005, 02:57 PM   #9
(male)

smc612 HB User

funny you mentioned a psychiatrist. my post traumatic stress therapist was the one who brought it to my attention that i had all menopausal symptoms. go figure!!

Old 09-01-2005, 11:31 AM   #10
(female)

Lemon Poppy HB User

I began having perimenopause symptoms in my mid 30's. My ob/gyn thought I was nuts. My family doctor finally did a blood test and it confirmed that I was. Such a relief to know that there was a reason for the problems I was having. I'm now 46 years old and have not had a period since January this year. The only symptom I have now that is bothersome is that my internal thermostat seems to be messed up. I'm always hot. Everyone else is cold, but me. I tell them to put on a sweater because I'm already wearing as little as possible and have the A/C set on 68! Just saw my doctor last week and she said just a few more months and I can officially say I'm in menopause. I take no HRT or any other medications. I do take One A Day Vitamins for Women as well as an additional 1200 mgs. of Calcium a day. That's it.

Old 09-02-2005, 09:23 PM   #11
(female)

HogsNkisses HB User

My Dr told me she had a 21 year old patient that was going through peri. Poor thing!!

Old 09-06-2005, 06:51 PM   #12

kellykay HB User

well you are not too young,,
i started at 36 3 7 and i finished my periods at 41 ..it took me alot to convince my gp to let me see a gyno.. and even the gyno wasn't convinced that i was entering meno .. the blood work was so out of whack she kept thinking i was ovulating .. not that i had periods.. so they gave me a period with hormones and took my day three hormone levels... they are the most accurate... anyways. don't let anyone tell you you are too young. 1 in a 100 30 yr old women goes throu early menopause.. 1 in 1000 in their 20s.. something like that... i would get a day three blood test done.. good luck..

Old 09-11-2005, 09:37 AM   #13
(female)

Barbz615 HB User

hello, I'm also 39 and going through the same symtptoms. I've tried my Dr. a few times, we tried 2 different antidepressants that made me feel worse! those meds actually scared me. I had two trips to the ER after my husband thought I was having a mild seizure, everytime I was sent home with nothing!!! I went to a cardiologist as well, the heart palps worried me, she was the only dr so far that didn't tell me I needed therapy. From the first day I started to feel "odd" I swore it was hormonal but thought I was too young. Dr after Dr told me to go talk to someone .. they almost had me convinced I was loosing it. so far regular blood tests, ekg, even a brain scan came back normal.
Well I hadn't done that as of yet because over the last few months I've noticed a change in my cycle and I'm waiting for my gyn appt at the end of the month. I've been keeping very detailed notes to bring to my gyn. The cardiologist told me I could be going through a "hormonal shift" at my age, she was the only one that would listen to "all" the detailed symptoms including sweating, moods, warm skin, anxiety symtpoms, nausea etc. all this would be in the early hrs of the morning. The anxiety is better with klonopin at night before bed, but the pms symptoms are way off, the usual "pre symptoms" have occured during and after my period, this month was 6 days instead of my usual 4. Since June I've been searching for answers and have become extrememly frustrated with drs looking at me like it's all in my head.

Closed Thread