It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2005, 08:14 AM   #1
(female)

dizzychick HB User
HELP!!! Legs Ache

Hi all. i've been reading the posts on here and didn't notice anyone addressing painful leg pain. is this a symptom of menopause? i'm 45 and dr. says i'm perimenopausal. i have high anxiety, headaches and for the last week my legs have been aching from the butt on down. i also have had anxiety disorder so every little thing gets escalated. please help. I pray everyday for women going through menopause cause it's so awful.. i don't feel like my happy normal self anymore. Could someone please write back. thanks.

Old 10-12-2005, 08:35 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User
Re: HELP!!! Legs Ache

Hi Dizzy!

Welcome to the board! This is a great place to ask, learn, and just kvetch!

There have been many posts in various threads about leg cramps - is that the type of pain you are having? More of a crampiness? That is extremely common in peri. Taking calcium and most importantly with magnesium seems to really help that, though it does still flare up occasionally.

I know I've improved alot in the leg achiness area ever since I've been taking the magnesium. But the past few nights I've had toe cramps!! Yes, been waking up with my toes all cramped! Was going to ask here if anyone has had that, or maybe I've just been too tense in my sleep.

Well, welcome again. Hang around! The ladies on this board are amazing.

Nornie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2005, 09:26 AM   #3
(female)

Diane05 HB User

Dizzy, I remember my legs used to ache so bad a few days before my period would hit. They can now, but not very often. I also take extra magnesium as Nornie mentioned!

Nornie, my charlie horses, or whatever it is kind of come and go. I have awakened in the middle of the night before and had to get out of bed and stand on my feet to stop them from cramping up!

Old 10-13-2005, 03:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jeffreys mom HB User

What does this leg achiness feel like? It sounds like from some of the posts like sporatic cramping.

I have experienced over the past year bouts of feeling like I have the flu with my legs aching. It's not cramps it's just aching and it does resolve with Motrine. Does this sound like perimenopause symptoms. I have been to my primary care about unexplained weight gain, arthritis symptoms, swelling of ankles, leg aches. I mentioned all of these things at my Annual check up. They tested me for Lupus. Never mentioned it could be connected to hormonal changes. I only learned of perimenopause yesterday when I posted about my missing period.

No one ever had the "talk with me" about these hormonal changes !!!! In my opinion, the Doctor should give you a hand out with all the possibilities so we don't start to think we are becoming hypocondriacs !!!

Old 10-13-2005, 06:43 AM   #5
(female)

dizzychick HB User

to jeffrey's mom.
my legs don't feel like they're cramping, they just ache. sometimes it wakes me up at night. like you said about having the flu, that's what it feels like. i just started on paxil today and very afraid of weight gain. oops, got side tracked after they tested you for lupus, what did they end up attributing your symptoms to? Is the magnesium helping? I started on it 3 days ago and no improvement yet. hoping it helps.

Old 10-13-2005, 07:39 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User

It's funny, because in peri I did suffer with leg cramps. But when I was getting regular periods, one of my major PMS symptoms was the flu-like leg achiness. So it sure seems hormone related.

Nornie

Old 10-13-2005, 08:21 AM   #7
(female)

dizzychick HB User

Nornie, how long did the achiness last? it's been a week now and i'm so upset about it that i'm now having panic attacks. i did start on magnesium and i've been taking walks at night that seem to help somewhat. i'm so sick of feeling sick Take care and thanks for your replies

Old 10-16-2005, 09:04 PM   #8
(female)

mystic heart HB User

hi dizzy,

i've had that achey leg thing many times. it always feels better if i sleep with my electric blanket on - the pain is usually completely gone the next day. my sister used to take hot baths to help her achey legs. mine has never lasted a week - but maybe you've been pms for a week?

good luck and don't panic (((hugs))) i'm sure it'll feel better soon!

Closed Thread