It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2005, 11:45 PM   #1
(female)

mu-mu HB User
pls help- only 25, symptoms...

can anyone help me? i was redirected here from the thyroid board..

i am a 25 yr female. i havent got my period for 10 months. during this time, i have gained about 20-25 lbs. which i really hate.

my other symptoms include:

- depression
- fatigue
- insommnia
- itchy skin
- craving carbohydrates (very strongly, very unusually, )
- bloatedness, edema
- crazy mood swings (crying, irritation, general craziness)
- weird body temperature changes
- occassionally weird taste in mouth

i went to the doctor to get my hormone levels checked, she said my thyroid was 'fine' and that it was a progesterone/ estrogen imbalance. she told me to start taking progesterone. i know there has been some debate about 'normal thyroid' levels, so i am going to post my results :

TSH: 1.296
normal= .35-5
(they didnt test my t3 or t4 since my tsh was ok)

estradiol: 113
prolactin: 4.9
normal= 1.2-29.9
testosterone: 3.3
normal= .45-3.7
fsh: 7
lh: 2.2
progesterone: .98
normal= 1-56.6

the only other thing was that my bilirubin levels were elevated: 31 and normal = 3-17... i guess that has to do with my gallbladder?

my mom says that i alternatively act like a pregnant woman and/ or a menopausal woman...

does anyone see anything strange? should i ask to have my other levels tested? has anyone experienced this?

i feel like i am going crazy. i went to the doctor at the university before but all they do is prescribed antidepressants- i have tried every kind and they dont seem to do anything. thyroid problems also run in the family. i feel so out of control, i hate the weight gain, but i have these manic, intense cravings, crazy mood swings, lack of sleep that make managing (ie. eating sensibly) things very difficult..

how do i get better? pls help, pls.

has anyone experienced anything like this? please help if you can...

the doctor prescribed progesterone, to start my cycle up, but i am scared of taking estrogen, to keep things regular. what can i do? or should i just not worry?

thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2005, 12:16 AM   #2
(female)

mu-mu HB User
Re: pls help- only 25, symptoms...

please help, please

Old 10-13-2005, 03:55 AM   #3
(female)

alsaser HB User
Smile Re: pls help- only 25, symptoms...

Mu mu, I went through the same thing when I was 25! I'm now 29. I have no idea what all those #s mean, but I went 9 months without a period and gained lots of weight too. It was awful...I went thru the same thing, had lots of your symptoms....no idea what was wrong with me...I got tested for everything, my thyroid and all was fine. I thought I might have a tumor blocking blood flow (more tests, all was fine) or early menopause, all that. Well, I was put on progesterone for like 10 days or 2 wks I think??? I was supposed to start right after my supply ended...I didnt. So I went back and they put me on estogen for 40 days...I'm not gonna lie, about 40 of the worst days of my life...I thought my pms was bad...it was hell! My mood swings went to levels I never thought possible, I almost went insane, I gained more weight. The only good thing, my skin cleared up. After that, on the last day, I started. they put me on the pill to regulate me...more torture...I was suicidal, it was bad...after about 3-4 months I couldnt take it anymore and stopped the pill, NEVER again.
The conclusion my doc came too regarding why I didnt get a period was, 'your body just stopped producing estrogen, it just happens sometimes'. Well, I dont know about that, but fortunately that is behind me.
I am off the pill (have been over 3 yrs) and my periods are actually pretty regular for the first time in my life. Plus, I have lost all the weight and than some. I say, just go for it, try the progestorone. You need your period, its unhealthy to not have it, not to mention the torture you are going through now. I wonder, had I not gotten medical help, would I have ever started again? One day this will all be a bad memory. Try not to worry, your not abnormal...things will be ok again and life will become normal again.

Old 10-13-2005, 06:53 AM   #4
(female)

mu-mu HB User

alsaser- thanks for your reply! its so terrible what you had to endure! i am glad you are better now!

i hope that the progesterone does work and i do get my period, it seems that my estrogen is fine, so i will not let my doctor put me on the pill. i think that my problems are a result of my estrogen being 'unchallenged,' ie there is no progesterone to counteract the effects of the estrogen.

i just dont know what to do about the intense food cravings and lethargy. i used to be extremely active, thin and eat extremely 'clean'- 80% veggies and some protein and fruit. now, i crave sugar and other carbohydrates uncontrollably, and the foods i used to love - like eggs- i cant stand! i never really had a sweet tooth before, either. i cant sleep, so i am always tired, so i dont feel like excercising.... also, when i do excercise and try and resist my sugar cravings, it makes absolutely no difference weight-wise....which makes me so frustrated....grrr....

Old 10-13-2005, 07:51 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User

Mu-Mu,

If at all possible, please try and get a more complete thyroid panel done. Doctors go by the TSH, but it can be completely worthless as it is a measure of pituitary function, not really thyroid. What you need are your Free T3 and Free T4. See if you can get a doctor to order it (and if you go on the thyroid board you will see many posts about wheedling and using the phrase "please, just humor me doctor" trying to get doctors to order it! - btw, the "just humor me" line usually works!) If you find it impossible, there is a place on the internet you can order tests though you'll have to pay for it yourself.

Just as fyi, I also did not get a period for about 9 months when I was your age. I don't recall having all the other symptoms you do though. But eventually they just returned with no explanation and I was regular ever since.

Nornie

Old 10-13-2005, 08:34 AM   #6
(female)

mu-mu HB User

thank you nornie,

i think will request the t3 and t4 tests....my doctor already thinks i am pain since i made her give me natural progesterone instead of progestins to kickstart my period. so being more of a pain wont be too much of a surprise!

i just dont know what to do in the meantime, until i start feeling better, cutting out all sugar really stresses me, and i am so exhausted from not sleeping i dont feel like going jogging. and i cry all the time and have no energy.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:58 PM   #7
(female)

alsaser HB User

Mu Mu, I was the same, I went from being thin, healthy eating, to craving junk and sweets and stuff I never ate before. (If I had known otherwise, I would have sworn I was pregnant). Could be you are low in iron. I was, at 25 I had been a vegaterian for 11 yrs and I noticed it was starting to take a toll on me, but I'm too stubborn and passionate about my views, I would rather die than eat an animal (I'm not crazy, thats just my views). I started taking prenatal vitamins and that has saved me!!! I feel super now and energetic. Did they check you for iron defficiancy? I've been on the prenatals for 3 yrs. It sounds like something is missing from your diet. Are you super thin? When I had my problem I was about 125 lbs, 5'5 and my sis wondered if I was becoming anorexic (not cause I was so thin) but cause I stopped having a period and was picky about not eating bad food. The doc was also questioning me about my exercise and eating habits, I've never been anorexic, and I worked out like 5 times a week, I was kind of insulted! Now, I'm 110 and healthier than ever and have been a veggie for 15 yrs. I feel I look best at this weight and dont want to lose another lb. I am very toned and fit and I eat plenty! I have regular periods now too, its weird, I dont know why I went through that or why you are going through what you are. I wish you the best! Keep me updated!

Old 10-13-2005, 02:06 PM   #8
(female)

alsaser HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu-mu
ii just dont know what to do in the meantime, until i start feeling better, cutting out all sugar really stresses me, and i am so exhausted from not sleeping i dont feel like going jogging. and i cry all the time and have no energy.
I replied without reading this one, so I just wanted to respond. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know this is very hard and the waiting is torture, the lethargy and the emotions. you will get through it I promise!!! Just like nornie and I did. I remember so well the feelings I had...sorry you feel that way. Hang in there! *hugs*

Old 10-13-2005, 04:19 PM   #9
(female)

mu-mu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaser
Mu Mu, I was the same, I went from being thin, healthy eating, to craving junk and sweets and stuff I never ate before. (If I had known otherwise, I would have sworn I was pregnant). Could be you are low in iron. I was, at 25 I had been a vegaterian for 11 yrs and I noticed it was starting to take a toll on me, but I'm too stubborn and passionate about my views, I would rather die than eat an animal (I'm not crazy, thats just my views). I started taking prenatal vitamins and that has saved me!!! I feel super now and energetic. Did they check you for iron defficiancy? I've been on the prenatals for 3 yrs. It sounds like something is missing from your diet. Are you super thin? When I had my problem I was about 125 lbs, 5'5 and my sis wondered if I was becoming anorexic (not cause I was so thin) but cause I stopped having a period and was picky about not eating bad food. The doc was also questioning me about my exercise and eating habits, I've never been anorexic, and I worked out like 5 times a week, I was kind of insulted! Now, I'm 110 and healthier than ever and have been a veggie for 15 yrs. I feel I look best at this weight and dont want to lose another lb. I am very toned and fit and I eat plenty! I have regular periods now too, its weird, I dont know why I went through that or why you are going through what you are. I wish you the best! Keep me updated!

SORRY, VERY LONG...........

hi alsaser, thank you again for your reply... i am becoming more and more depressed about this... before this started happening i was very healthy, ate mostly vegetables and lean protein (tofu, nuts, very limited amounts of chicken and fish) and exercised every day, lifted weights and felt super. i usually weighed between 108-112 lbs ( I am 5'6") and didnt have to much of a problem maintaining it, as long as i didnt pig out on junk food and was moderately active. although some of my heavier friends thought i was a bit skinny, i personally felt great, energetic and happy. i noticed around the time i lost my period that i was gaining weight, despite not changing my eating...so i ate less and excercised more and i gained weight. i was not eating very much and excercing for more than 3 hours a day, and still gaining weight and retaining water. everyone started to think i had an eating disorder...they didnt understand what was happening with my body.

i became so tired and was under a ton of stress and i started craving sugar. i was keeping extreme hours with school and sugar and coffee were the only things that kept me awake/going...otherwise i would sleep all of the time.
fast forward to now. i have no energy, i have insommnia, i experience crazy crazy mood swings (crying, anger, irritation, anxiety- all of out of the blue) i have absolutely no threshold for stress- the smallest thing freaks me out- loud noises, bright light (like going outdoors) seeing people...i am so depressed about how i look ( 25+ lb gain) that i dont want to particiate in life-that and none of my clothes fit. i have intense, uncontrollable cravings for sugar and or salt. i try and get back to my normal eating patterns (lots of veggies, eggs) but i am overcome with this desire for sugar...when i have these cravings i have a one track mind- all i can focus on is my next 'fix'... its like a blackout and forget that i need to stay away from it. i hate myself so much for my lack of control, but i find it impossibleto excercise because i have absolutely no energy and i cant sleep, i just mope around all day and hate myself for being so unproductive......i am so unhappy, but none of the antidepressants work....out of desperation, i went on a 7 day water fast ( no food at all) and i didnt not lose a single pound. that made me even more frustrated...

is the progesterone going to cure all of this? if i take prenatal vitamins, will that help? please please please, i cant explain how horrible i feel....what can i do? i feel like locking myself in a room.... i want to be myself again....

ps. i have always had a problem with iron, even when i take supplements... i dont like meat ( i hate that i eat chicken) or beans...he supplements dont help that much... i also have elevated billiribun levels, which has to do with my gallbladder....

i seriously dont know how much longer i can go on like this. i feel unable to contribute to the world or anyone else's life...i am so low on energy....

Old 10-13-2005, 11:29 PM   #10
(female)

alsaser HB User

Mu mu, get back to the doc and help them to induce your period, asap! I would suggest taking prenatals since you dont have a lot of vitamins in your diet. Just go buy some and see how you feel, it wont hurt. Dont continue to let yourself feel worse...I felt like offing myself and I dont want u to get to that level. Get to the doc!!! have them check your iron levels, let them do what they can to start your periods. Never overexercise and eat less to lose weight, that never produces perm. weight loss. Dont fast, you are too weak for that. Sounds like you are suffering from a lot of anxiety and depression, this cannot be ignored. I know your under stress and busy, but you wont get anything done if you feel this way. I remember I would just lay around, unable to move or breathe (anxiety attacks). Please get help. You could be anemic. Anemia creeps up on you...you are fine and than...BOOM! It just hits you. I had to get a minor surgery recently and I wasnt allowed to take my prenatals cause they contained Vit E (a blood thinner) 2 wks b4 and 2 wks after the surgery. I was ok, and at about 3 wks of no vits, I got so weak. I was dizzy, my heart was pounding, I could barely walk I was so weakly. It was awful. As soon as I got back on my vits, within 2-3 days I was normal. Hope this helps you!!!
p.s. I was on iron supplements and they didnt really help, but whatever I was missing, I am now getting from the prenatals; our problems sound very similiar. Go buy some!!!!

Last edited by alsaser; 10-13-2005 at 11:31 PM.

Old 10-14-2005, 11:29 AM   #11
(female)

mu-mu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaser
Mu mu, get back to the doc and help them to induce your period, asap! I would suggest taking prenatals since you dont have a lot of vitamins in your diet. Just go buy some and see how you feel, it wont hurt. Dont continue to let yourself feel worse...I felt like offing myself and I dont want u to get to that level. Get to the doc!!! have them check your iron levels, let them do what they can to start your periods. Never overexercise and eat less to lose weight, that never produces perm. weight loss. Dont fast, you are too weak for that. Sounds like you are suffering from a lot of anxiety and depression, this cannot be ignored. I know your under stress and busy, but you wont get anything done if you feel this way. I remember I would just lay around, unable to move or breathe (anxiety attacks). Please get help. You could be anemic. Anemia creeps up on you...you are fine and than...BOOM! It just hits you. I had to get a minor surgery recently and I wasnt allowed to take my prenatals cause they contained Vit E (a blood thinner) 2 wks b4 and 2 wks after the surgery. I was ok, and at about 3 wks of no vits, I got so weak. I was dizzy, my heart was pounding, I could barely walk I was so weakly. It was awful. As soon as I got back on my vits, within 2-3 days I was normal. Hope this helps you!!!
p.s. I was on iron supplements and they didnt really help, but whatever I was missing, I am now getting from the prenatals; our problems sound very similiar. Go buy some!!!!
alsaser!!!

i am going to buy the prenatals today...they really seemed to help you....i am taking natural progesterone pills (Prometrium) to induce my period....i am staying with my parents in the small town where i grew up (where everybody knows everybody) and i am sure there will be a huge rumor started when i go and buy the prenatals SINCE I DO LOOK PREGASAURUS....

i was under alot of stress for the past 6 months- i broke up with my bf (suspected he was cheating on me), moved out of our house, moved into a new place by myself, had to take an extra semester at school, dealing with horrible horrible prof., alot of pressure to finish masters by parents, other family etc, eventhough i needed a break......now all of that has cleared up although its hard for me to unwind...and let it go.

so, once you got your period, and started taking the prenatals, you felt better? did you do anything else? i know i should excercise....i used to jog 5km+ per day, and do weights and pilates, and walk everywhere etc, but now, i just lay around, and cry...also, i used to be the cleanest eater, and guess what i ate for dinner last night? BACON with ketchup and MAYO- i know, its so repulsive, i usually HATE MEAT and feel too ethically guilty to even be in the same house/ restaurant/ etc where someone is cooking/ eating it... who the h*ll am i lately? ahhhh

anyways, alsaser, thanks for the advice, going to get the prenatals...how long did you have to take them before you felt normal?

Old 10-14-2005, 11:38 AM   #12

Gaitsofgold HB User

This is going to really confound you, but this is what happened to me. I've had all the thyroid tests, and my thyroid gland is prominent, and every doctor I see always immediately comments on it since I was in my 20s. But all the tests (ultrasounds, nuclear scans, free T3 and T4s, TSHs, Hashimoto's) are always normal. When I went to a cardiologist lately, he said that people who have normal thyroid tests can STILL have thyroid problems! That REALLY confused me! I've had the same problems you've had - the temperature problems (sensitive to cold in winter and heat in summer) mood swings, itchiness ( really bad!) insomnia, fatigue, etc. This has been going on since I was around 30. I now suspect its always been my thyroid, after what the cardiologist said. Now I'm also having hot flashes and night sweats, which I didn't have before, so I'm assuming that peri is now raising its ugly head. My migraines are much worse too. And I started gaining weight (had never been overweight before) in the last two years, to the point of gaining 40 lbs. So in my case its two things going on at once. As for you, I'd definitely push to have your thyroid checked out more thoroughly. As Nornie said, you need a complete thyroid panel, and possibly an ultrasound and nuclear scan as well. Hopefully,k at your young age, menopause is not a factor! Sometimes you really have to bug these doctors to get them to order more tests. Honestly, from what I've read, your symptoms DO sound like thyroid problems.

Old 10-14-2005, 11:52 AM   #13
(female)

mu-mu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaitsofgold
This is going to really confound you, but this is what happened to me. I've had all the thyroid tests, and my thyroid gland is prominent, and every doctor I see always immediately comments on it since I was in my 20s. But all the tests (ultrasounds, nuclear scans, free T3 and T4s, TSHs, Hashimoto's) are always normal. When I went to a cardiologist lately, he said that people who have normal thyroid tests can STILL have thyroid problems! That REALLY confused me! I've had the same problems you've had - the temperature problems (sensitive to cold in winter and heat in summer) mood swings, itchiness ( really bad!) insomnia, fatigue, etc. This has been going on since I was around 30. I now suspect its always been my thyroid, after what the cardiologist said. Now I'm also having hot flashes and night sweats, which I didn't have before, so I'm assuming that peri is now raising its ugly head. My migraines are much worse too. And I started gaining weight (had never been overweight before) in the last two years, to the point of gaining 40 lbs. So in my case its two things going on at once. As for you, I'd definitely push to have your thyroid checked out more thoroughly. As Nornie said, you need a complete thyroid panel, and possibly an ultrasound and nuclear scan as well. Hopefully,k at your young age, menopause is not a factor! Sometimes you really have to bug these doctors to get them to order more tests. Honestly, from what I've read, your symptoms DO sound like thyroid problems.
thanks for your reply gaitsofgold,

i am seeing my doctor in 2 weeks, to see if the prometrium was effective in starting my period again. i am going to request a complete thyroid test at that time. i have been readin gup on adrenal fatigue as well, it seems like this is not something that is acknowledged by mainstream doctors. does anyone know what kind of tests you hae to request in order to have your adrenals checked out?

thank you so much gaitsofgold and alsaser for your responses, you dont know how much it means to me. i feel like i am going crazy somedays, and i feel like my whole family is like, just snap out of it, and i cant, or i can for a day and then i am so exhausted the next day i just regress. i want a normal quality of life back.... thanks again, everybody.

Old 10-15-2005, 12:41 AM   #14
(female)

alsaser HB User

I dont remember how long til i started feeling better when i first started taking them, pretty soon; after i stopped and restarted for the surgery, it was in a couple days i felt better and by a week, felt perfectly normal. Just concentrate on getting your health back, than you can get back to exercise and all that. Bacon ketchup and mayo? Whoa, thats like the grossest thing i can think off. poor girl. Gaitsofgold had some good ideas, I mean, who knows what this could be. could be a # of things not to mention all the stress your under...that can be a cause for lots of physical problems. take care and again, keep me updated!

Old 10-15-2005, 06:14 AM   #15

kittenlover HB User

Have you been checked for Metobolic Syndrome? I know they are trying to change that name now and remove this from the vocabulary....it is polycystic ovarian issues.
If your ovaries are producing cysts and not ovulation, your period is off.
Weight gain and pre-diabetes are some symptoms.

I hope you feel better soon.
There are some negative things said about BC pills, but there are also some wonderful side benefits (lower incidence of ovarian cancer being one). Not having your periods is, as was posted, NOT a good thing for your body (heart disease, bone loss, etc.) so if it were me, at 25, I would surely consider the birth control pill for at least a few months to see if my cycle could be regulated. Just like HRT, it doesn't mean you have to stay on it forever. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by kittenlover; 10-15-2005 at 06:14 AM.

Closed Thread