It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2005, 06:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User
Off Balance Feeling

Hi everyone, I was just wondering what off balance means to you all??

When I say I feel Off-balanced (dizzy) I mean that when I'm walking I feel like the floor is moving or Im gonna fall over to one side or the other, this happens when I'm sitting too.

Hope

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2005, 07:54 PM   #2
(female)

Lola51 HB User
Re: Off Balance Feeling

I've been struggling w/lightheadedness/dizziness/off-balance for a while. It used to just come and go on occasion, but this last week it has been happening a few times a day. I can be just sitting and I'll just get a little "wave" of motion. Tonite in the grocery store I was looking at meat and I thought someone pushed me because the wave was so strong. It only lasts a second, and it's really kind of a small movement, but it's scary. Some people say it's inner-ear or sinus, but I don't have a fever or any other signs, and it seems to come with that pressure in my head - PMS type. Of course, I'm sure it's a brain tumor and my anxiety is running away with me. I have an appointment w/my doctor next week, but how do I describe it??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2005, 07:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Lola,

It doesn't sound like a brain tumor. You would have MAJOR problems besides this one. Dizziness/vertigo and off balance are almost always not connected with anything serious. There are many of us who suffer from it and we do go to the dr and they send us on our way. I have a general anxiety disorder and I know most of us have this feeling, and I hear perimenopause will give you this too. Unfortunately the more anxious you get the more often it will happen.

Go to the Dr and express your fears, and you will find it won't be anything.

Hope

Old 10-20-2005, 08:18 AM   #4
(female)

Wink HB User

I get this feeling too, and for me it is exactly as Lola51 described it. I remember standing in line at the convenience store one morning and I had to reach out and hold on to the counter for a few seconds because this wave hit me just like Lola51 said, like someone pushed me. Sometimes it happens when I'm sitting down too. But those "rushes" are quick and only last a few seconds. Sometimes I might feel a little dizzy, but the room isn't spinning, just kind of lightheaded and off balance, that might last a bit longer, maybe 10-15 minutes. I had a brain scan (MRI) done a while ago and it was all clear, so for me, I know I'm OK. But the anxiety about what's wrong can really throw you into a tailspin!

Old 10-20-2005, 09:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I feel like the floor is dropping or that I am going to miss a step and fall down. The room does not spin, I just feel not balanced.

Old 10-20-2005, 10:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

When I was feeling off balanced, it wasn't like a dizzy, room-spinning type of feeling or where I would lose my footing. It is really hard to describe - you just feel your body isn't right, that something is a bit off. It was slight but it was there. Of course, I then also had the lightheadness, spacey feeling, brain fog too.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:39 AM   #7
(female)

Lola51 HB User

Brain fog? Oh well, yeah, of course there's that! I was looking at someone that I see every day, and couldn't for the life of me remember their name. The more I strained trying to remember, the worse it got! And then there's times when my mind is going a mile a minute. Sometimes that brings on anxiety and then that lightheaded feeling.

Old 10-20-2005, 12:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well I know for me that having Fibro and general anxiety disorder, and now maybe perimenopause this "Off balance" feeling could come from anything. I have read of people living with this every single day 24/7!!!!

Old 10-20-2005, 05:22 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4All
Hi everyone, I was just wondering what off balance means to you all??

When I say I feel Off-balanced (dizzy) I mean that when I'm walking I feel like the floor is moving or Im gonna fall over to one side or the other, this happens when I'm sitting too.

Hope
Hope your definition is the same as mine .

I feel like I'm leaning to the right side, head pressure, dizzy, and my head feels heavy. When I'm in the shower I have to hold on to the wall when I close my eyes.

If I lean my head forward I feel as if I'm going to fall forward. Then there is that weird sensation if I turn my head too quickly.

I also get a pain in one spot on my head. This is weird to describe...the pain comes and goes. I might experience it for a few minutes then not again for weeks. I also don't walk fast, like I use to, because I'm concentrating on not falling over.

When I go to the grocery stores I'm holding on to the carts for support. If my sister who is a year younger, and also going through perimenopause, wasn't experiencing the same symptom (her's comes and goes, while mine has been staying for the last 2 months) I would have been requesting a MRI.

I must say that today was my second day using compounded progestrone cream and that off balanced feeling wasn't as intense . I felt fairly well today .

Old 10-20-2005, 08:13 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

My doctor put me on myclezene (sp) its like Dramamin II....it works somewhat. Ive read ALOT when it comes to this and I have never seen anywhere it stating it being a sign of anything more serious.

My doctor asked me once "what do you do when you get this feeling"...I said Umm I stay home and I do nothing until it passes!!! Like I'm gonna get behind a wheel of a car or something....LOL, He said "oh good"..lol

When mine hits it will stay from days to maybe a week and a half, then it disappears just out of the blue. And I can go for almost 6 months without it returning. Ive only twice had the room spinning thing from this, I woke up one morning went to sit up and everything tilted and was spinning. Talk about being scared!!!!!

If I ran to the Dr's everytime I had something "odd" happen to me, the other patients would think I worked there!!! LOL

Old 10-21-2005, 01:36 PM   #11
(female)

alwaysaworrier HB User

I also get the off balance feeling. For me its like I really have to concentrate if walking - just in case you get a wobble and fall. I can also get it when sitting down and its sorta lightheadness as well. I actually have a touch of it right now even tho its a good few weeks since I've had it last. I never know when it is going to re-appear and has been happening for quiet a while. I find my screw up my eyes when i have the lightheadness.
Just thought I'd put in my twopence!
Maggie

Old 10-21-2005, 05:07 PM   #12
(female)

browneyedsusie HB User

Count me in !!! I too have the sensation like the floor is dipping out from underneath me. Sometimes It is like I have walked into one of those crooked houses they have at childrens museums. So very wierd. The first time I experienced the floor dropping out I reached out and grabbed a guy standing beside me in a line up at pizza shop, He just gave me one wierd look but I felt I had to grab something as it came on so suddenly and only lasted a few seconds.
L

Old 11-05-2005, 08:14 PM   #13
(female)

bocana HB User

I'm so glad I found this thread. I usually post in the anxiety board. I just got back my blood test that says I'm in menapause. I am 46.

I have the sensation of rocking and rolling when I'm shopping. I can't concentrate on labels and choice of products.

This problem has gotten worse in the past year. As I have said on the anxiety board, I suspect it might be vision problems. But now knowing I am in menapause, perhaps this board might help me better. I appreciate any ideas/opinions on this. Thanks!

Old 11-06-2005, 07:22 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Bocona, I also belong to an anxiety board. The off-balance feeling can be from either of these. I "think" I'm beginning Peri-menopause. I have read much about this "Off-balance" feelings and I do know that so called "normal" people get this and they have no other factors like anxiety or menopause. Dr's have NO explanations for why we get this. It is just another sensation that we have to live with. Hearing that so many times does tend to get frustrating.

I am making an appt at a gyns, I am way over due, but maybe with my symptoms (started hot flashes) she can tell me if it is Peri.

Welcome to the board, these women are very helpful and VERY supportive

Last edited by Hope4All; 11-06-2005 at 07:26 AM.

Closed Thread