It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2005, 10:17 AM   #1
(female)

mackenzie61 HB User
Increased Heart Rate -- Newbie

Hi All,

I'm new here and thank goodness I found this place! I had a bad night last night with my pulse racing and pounding, also some heart palpitations and weird-fullness feeling in my head. Kept worrying about my heart even though I recently had an EKG because of some chest pain from an injury and it was fine.

I'm 43 and still having fairly regular periods (though heavy), but I figure I must be going through peri now for a few years. I was having a lot of panic attacks, generalized worry, and brain-fog and some night sweats. Took paxil for two years and it worked wonderfully for all these problems, but I finally got sick of the side effects (tired all the time, no motivation, weight gain, and feeling emotion-less) and went off it gradually this spring.

Since then, I've felt the worry and anxiety returning some, but no panic attacks (thank goodness). This thing that happens mainly at night and in the morning with my pulse racing is very different from a panic attack, although I feel like my anxiety about it might provoke one! Also, I have pulsating tinnitis in one ear and it drives me crazy hearing my pulse increase as I turn over at night.

Has anyone out there noticed more symptoms like this around day 15 of your cycle? Also, has anyone experienced pulsating tinnitis when peri started (I'd love to think it would go away some day!)?

Sorry this is so long, and thanks so much for your help!

Mackenzie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2005, 11:57 AM   #2

Gaitsofgold HB User
Re: Increased Heart Rate -- Newbie

Wow, how strange this is! I've had problems with heart skips and jumps for years, but for the last few nights, I've had exactly what you describe! The fast heart rate upon awakening in the middle of the night, and the pulsating in one of my ears! I wasn't sure if it was my heart pounding or not, since I was sleepy at first, but it quieted down really quick. Your symptoms all sound very much like peri-menopause to me. I too, am also still having regular periods, although heavier lately. I'm 50. And you are right - this quick heart rate is different from a panic attack. Heaven knows, I know what those feel like, since I've had them, off and on, for the last 10 years. Its also strange that you noted it happens around day 15 of your cycle. That's just when mine started this month! The most important thing to remember when this happens (or any scary symptom) is to remain calm. I know, this SOUNDS easy, but much harder to do. The calmer and relaxed you are, the quicker your heart rate will go back to normal. At least that is the case with me. I have mild MVP, and the Inderal I take three times a day helps SO MUCH with the palpitations. They aren't nearly as severe, and don't last as long.

Randi

Old 11-06-2005, 02:24 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

I've had the racing heart thing at night for about 7 months now and I also having the pulsating tinnitis in one ear, which I've had for years (I had braces as an adult and I think that's what brought it on). It started out more as panic attack or anxiety attack feelings, then as things sort of winded down for me, just a racing heart, mainly at bedtime. It's not as bad as a few months ago. I've been taking supplements and bioidentical hormones and for the most part, my heartrate is pretty normal during the day and evening. But when I go to be, it just seems to kick up a notch. Nothing I do in bed makes it slow down except finally falling asleep. The tinnitus is what makes it especially annoying and has even kept me awake. I found that this summer, we had a fan going in our room, which really helped drown out the beating. But now things have cooled off, so my husband won't go for that anymore! I also listen to music through earplugs, which doesn't really drown it out, but helps distract me and make me sleepy.

Old 11-06-2005, 04:25 PM   #4
(female)

mackenzie61 HB User

Thank you both for your replies. I'm sorry you have the same problem, but it is so comforting to hear that other people are going through the same thing. Now maybe I can go to bed tonight without worrying I'm having a heart attack!

Thanks again,

Mackenzie

Closed Thread