It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2005, 06:08 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User
Low body temperature--what does this mean?

I decided to buy a thermometer yesterday to keep track of my temp since I recently had a low grade fever with a bladder infection. Last night my temp was 97.3, and this morning it is 96.7. Both are below normal. Could this have to do with a thyroid disorder? What does it mean?

Thanks everyone,

Lynn

Old 12-12-2005, 08:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User
Re: Low body temperature--what does this mean?

Lynn,
My normal temp is always around 97.something or another. I am hypothyroid and been on meds too. I've read that a thyroid condition, esp. hypo will bring your temp down. Even when I feel like I'm might have a fever, it is always below 98.6. You should get your thyroid checked. I've read that during peri your thyroid test results come back normal but yet your thyroid could not be functioning right either.

Molly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2005, 10:03 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly123
Lynn,
My normal temp is always around 97.something or another. I am hypothyroid and been on meds too. I've read that a thyroid condition, esp. hypo will bring your temp down. Even when I feel like I'm might have a fever, it is always below 98.6. You should get your thyroid checked. I've read that during peri your thyroid test results come back normal but yet your thyroid could not be functioning right either.

Molly
Ditto! Agree with everything Molly said. Mine is always low and I am hypothyroid too. You definitely want to get that checked out. It's easy to deal with and if you are not treated it will definitely make your peri problems worse. Just be sure your doctor doesn't just do a TSH test as that could be normal and yet you could still be hypothyroid. Ask for Free T3 and Free T4. If he doesn't want to do that (many doctors don't) try saying, "Please humor me!"

Nornie

Old 12-13-2005, 03:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Hi,
My temp is always low in the 97 to lower range too. My doctor (male, internest) just said this is normal in adults??? But I insisted on the thyroid test, anyway. But only did a TSH test, which was in the normal range. So can that be "normal" while the "free T3 & free T4" aren't? I didn't have those tests, so accepted that it was normal. Now I'm wondering... Would hate to have felt this awful for this long, all because the thyroid was "off" and they didn't do the right tests.
Glad you asked this question,Viktik, because I never thought to.
Hellas

Old 12-13-2005, 04:13 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLASRULES
Hi,
My temp is always low in the 97 to lower range too. My doctor (male, internest) just said this is normal in adults??? But I insisted on the thyroid test, anyway. But only did a TSH test, which was in the normal range. So can that be "normal" while the "free T3 & free T4" aren't? I didn't have those tests, so accepted that it was normal. Now I'm wondering... Would hate to have felt this awful for this long, all because the thyroid was "off" and they didn't do the right tests.
Glad you asked this question,Viktik, because I never thought to.
Hellas
In addition to only doing TSH, most doctors aren't even using the correct range for it! The AACE (association of clinical endocrinologists) have recently narrowed the "normal" range, yet most doctors and labs still go by the old ranges. So you could be told you were "in normal range" and yet be out of range if using the new, correct, guidelines. Do you remember what your TSH was? The new guidelines say normal is .5 - 2.5. Old range was up to 5.5.

Nornie

Nornie

Old 12-13-2005, 03:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Do you remember what your TSH was? The new guidelines say normal is .5 - 2.5. Old range was up to 5.5.

Nornie

Hi Nornie,
I don't remember for sure. Just looked thru all my papers here. But I think it
was something like .7. Which I recall looking up, as best I could, and it seemed ok, even with the new guidelines (which I had read about).
So, guess I just have menopause, huh?

Closed Thread