It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2006, 08:50 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User
Anemia During Peri-menopause

I am 51 and still having heavy periods. Recently diagnosed with ID Anemia. I am taking two iron pills a day. Now the new problem is hemorrhoids due to harder stools from the iron! Also have a ovarian cyst the Dr. is watching. I NEVER had any of these problems before entering this per-menopause stage of life. Can anyone else relate to these problems? Any suggestions for hemorrhoid relief? Thank you for any advice. Ann

Old 01-07-2006, 11:14 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User
Re: Anemia During Peri-menopause

Yup, been there. I'm post-meno now, but back in the peri days, heavy periods + vegetarian = major anemia! So I had to take iron pills and almost all of them are very constipating. I had done some research and discovered another form called iron bisglycinate (commercially known as Gentle Iron - I know Solgar brand has one) and it was not only non-constipating, but almost seemed to loosen things up a bit. I also found a couple of articles that said it was actually a more absorbing type of iron. So that's something you might want to look into. Magnesium is another supplement that really helps constipation. If you are taking any calcium supplements, you must take magensium with it. At least in a 1:0.5 ratio, some people take it in a 1:1 ratio. And drink plenty and plenty of water. Even after you think you've had enough, drink another glass!

Hope that helps!

Nornie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2006, 02:43 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User

Thank you for the reply Nornie. I will give your suggestions a try. I saw on one of the other threads that you have problems with the ice-pick type headaches. I have started having those too. They come and go very quickly, but are painful when you get them. I can't believe how many of us have the same symptoms. I guess misery loves company! Thank you again. Ann

Old 01-10-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Taimse HB User

I got the headaches ...middle of the night...when I was really getting anemic. Last Jan through March. My ferritin was down to a 4.
I'd had heavy periods probably for the last 8 years, but by the time I'd be blood tested, my hemoglobin would be like 12.1, so my doctor said I wasn't anemic. I had the heart palpitations and restless legs off an on during that time.

When my doctor put me on iron pills, I started taking Metamucil and eating pears( really good fiber). I am 52 now and haven't had a period since July.

Closed Thread