It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2006, 04:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Johands333 HB UserJohands333 HB User
Getting closer to menopause???

I used to be able to say the exact day I'd get my period and about when (morn, afternoon or eve.) I'd get it. About ten years ago that changed. When I was in my late 20s and early 30s I could predict my ovulation day and time of day. That also changed. But this is my first period (I'll be 49 in April) where I had no real good flow. It's been like heavy spotting since Sunday and today is Saturday and still just spotting. Do those over the counter menopause detectors work or would I just be throwing my money away? Does this sound like I'm getting close to menopause? Thanks for any input.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:02 PM   #2

Gaitsofgold HB User
Re: Getting closer to menopause???

I found out (after I'd already bought it, LOL) that the OTC menopause monitors only tell you if you are actually IN MENOPAUSE. They don't tell you if you're in PERI. So it was a disappointment to me, since it didn't help me at all to know where I'm at as far as menopause goes. I guess it works best when you haven't had a period for a year (according to the directions). Well, by then, you have a pretty good idea you're in menopause anyway, right? I'm still having periods, but they are irregular. In any case, I didn't find the monitor helpful.

Randi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2006, 03:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gates,
Thanks I guess I would have just thrown money away on the menopause test. I am now in overtime with my period but only by a day. I have a feeling this one will be about 9 days total.
-Jo

Old 01-08-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User

Sounds like you are just starting perimenopause. I posted on here the '35 symptoms of menopause' and if it is still here, take a look.
Having irregular periods is a major symptom. You can have heavier, lighter, spotting between, missing and very clotty periods. There is no set rule on which of these you will experience. I myself have had them all. I just started again after a 3 1/2 month hyatis and had a very heavy period that I just finished. I now feel like I am ovalating again and I have only stopped a week ago. I have had periods every two weeks for a couple of months and I have had one that lasted 3 weeks.
I am 49 and have been in peri for about 6 years. I have been told I should have a hysterecomy and I didn't because I found that that just isn't an option just to get rid of the bleeding. If I had cancer that would be another story. I do believe that I am closer to stopping now. But you just never know.
One good way to know what you might go through is to ask your mother what she went through.
Take a look at the symptom list...it could help you know what is menopausal. You should also have your thyroid checked. If there is a problem with it, it can mimic menopausal symptoms.
Wishing you well!

Old 01-09-2006, 05:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Momma,
I've been perimenopausal for about 10 years! I've had the heavy periods, the lighter ones and some night sweats. I've had hot flashes just a little. My mom went through menopause at 42 and she said one day it just stopped. She also couldn't go out on a swinging mile high bridge down in NC while on vacation. She said you couldn't pay her $1 million to go out on that bridge. For me it's heights too. I have a hard time with escalators and balconies. I was always one to know the exact day I'd get my period or not only the day of ovulation, but that morning was the time in 1986 that I'd get pregnant with our second child. Then about 10 years ago that changed. I could pinpoint about 10 days of a month that my period could come in but not the exact day. But this is the first period that has lasted more than a week and has been extremely light. Just heavy spotting. That's why I wonder how close I am to menopause.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User

It is very possible that you are. It really is hard to say. You don't say how old you are, but having been going through this for 10 years I would say probably close to 50? Anyway, it really is a roller coaster of different things that go on with it. I always seem to have something new start. Spent last night with the night sweats. Haven't really had much of them since I have been taking a soy supplement and then ran out. I have got to get to the store for some more, because it really had been helping with those.
I don't have vertigo. My sister does and so does my father. Can't imagine what that is like.
Well, let me know more about you and maybe I can be here as support and you for me!
Wishing you well!

Old 01-09-2006, 09:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabat40 HB User

OH MY GOSH! I thought I was going bonkers with my recent fear of heights! It's just recently about the last year that I'd been afraid of heights! For example, I live in a 2-story house and when I look down from my master bedroom to the garden below, I start getting queezy! LOL

And I bunjee-jumped, para-sailed, and went hang gliding when I was younger!

Old 01-11-2006, 04:38 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well I am 48 (49 in April) and my heavy spotting now has turned to a regular period. It started on Jan. 1st mid day and still having it today 1-11-06. I've had some hot flashes in the last 36-48 hours. So I guess it's a new phase of peri-menopause leading up to menopause.

Old 01-11-2006, 04:44 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User

They tell me that it gets worst right before you stop. I sure hope you and I are at that point. I am 49. I will keep my fingers crossed for both of us...guess that means my toes too, huh? LOL! Sorry, but I have learned to find some humor about it all somewhere. One of my regrets is not having invested in the feminine hygiene companies. I think they make alot of money on our misery...
Hang in there!

Old 01-11-2006, 06:14 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi,

I am 51 and know what you are going thru. I started noticing symptoms in my mid 40s as far as irregular periods where they came way early and were a lot shorter.

The year before last I got many pesky perimenopausal symptoms then that seemed to stabilize, got a reappearance of some of them early last year. It comes and goes and whoever said in this thread that it is a rollercoaster ride is right on the money...it is like that.

I have had periods as you describe where it just is really spotting for a week and not a big flow. The gyn said if one is in their late mid to late 40s by definition they are in perimenopause, therefore the time before menopause. So there is really not a good way to predict when it will stop as far as periods as our hormones are all over the place right now and the test would not be real accurate on any given day.

I keep thinking I too am getting closer as I skipped my period this past year for the first time and did not get it for 3 months. yet then I got it at day 24 and then from then on I have got it every cycle at day 24 , or 25 or 26 so it really is unpredictable at this point. Here I thought when I skipped it for 3 months I was on my way. I know that some people go without it for 8 or 9 months and it can still reappear so guess it is all the nature of the beast so to speak.

Hang in there,

rmc

Old 01-13-2006, 06:37 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc,
I thought I was finished with my period yesterday. I am now in day 13. The first week was like heavy spotting. Then on day 8 it turned into a regular period, sort of. I had about 3 hours yesterday where I had nothing. Then it started up as just a big drop on the toilet paper. And that's where I am again today, when I wipe, it's just a big spot. I'm beginning to wonder if this is ever going to stop. Thanks for your input as well as Momma & Fabat's responses.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:33 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User

I had a 3 week period only once. It was the worst, so I know what you are experiencing. Just try to keep your iron up so you won't become anemic. If you start to feel really run down and achy, it is probably what has happened. I felt as if I couldn't lift my arms, I was so weak. Here is what I posted about it in another thread to help with this...
Eat foods high in iron:
red meat
fish
chicken
liver o eggs
dried fruits, like apricots, prunes, and raisins
lentils and beans
green, leafy vegetables, like spinach and broccoli, tofu, cereal with iron in it (iron-fortified)
Eat/drink foods that help your body absorb iron, like orange juice, strawberries, broccoli, or other fruits and vegetables with vitamin C.
Don't drink coffee or tea with meals. These drinks make it harder for your body to absorb iron.
Calcium can hurt your absorption of iron. Make sure you get enough folic acid and vitamin B-12 in your diet.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:45 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Momma,
Thanks for the list of foods high in iron. I eat plenty of red meat, chicken, broccoli and lettuce. I have some dried cranberries home. I have high blood pressure and so I take 2 meds for that and with one I've been advised to drink OJ. I splurge and buy the fresh, not concentrated OJ. I love peanut butter which is high is folic acid. I eat bananas for the potassium that I lose with my water pill (maxzide). I hate to think this is going to last as long as 3 weeks. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks of a light to moderate period. Maybe next month I will get nothing. LOL. I am an optimist and look for humor/silver lining in everything.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:58 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User

The only real advice I can give you is to go with the flow (pun intended! LOL!!)
I think you have to have the state of mind, that this is a very natural process and that there is light on the other side. I have heard from many women that once this peri part of menopause is over and we are finally in menopause, that we will feel alot better, find sex again and be able to live the rest of our lives without all these nuisances. I have to believe that what they tell me is true...that way the roller coaster ride that I am on, won't make me sick!

Old 01-19-2006, 07:26 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Momma,
You sound like my "menopause buddy". LOL. We must really be going through some similar things. I am now in day 19 of some bleeding. It's crazy. I have very light blood on the toilet paper, I have had some days of wearing only mini-pads. I go to my gyn next Thursday. That was the first appt. they had open.
-Jo

Closed Thread