It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

chillijava HB User
what comes first the anxiety or the tummy problems

i am having an unusual problem and i wondered if anyone else is having or has had the same problem.
through this peri journey i have had major problems with anxiety as i know many of you have had, but i seem to have anxiety much worse when i am having problems with my tummy, like period cramps and ovarian pain.
i dont know which comes first the anxiety and then the tummy problems or the tummy problems and then the anxiety, it seems that they are linked in some way, but i dont understand why.
i would be very grateful if anyone has any ideas, as sometimes i wonder if it is all in my head and i am imagining this

andrea

Old 01-08-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabat40 HB User
Re: what comes first the anxiety or the tummy problems

Hi Andrea,

Funny now that you mentioned tummy pains.... just recently, I've been experiencing pains on the left side of my stomach prior to the start of each of my period. Excruciating pain, the kind that makes you curl up on your bed for hours type pain. And then, it goes away. Strange, but whenever I take pain medication, it only helps a bit.

But I don't experience the anxiety part.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2006, 12:21 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User

Hi Andrea,
I think the aches and pains come first before the anxiety. When I'm not having the ovary discomfort, back pain, headaches and all the other peri symptoms, I don't notice much anxiety. I try to remember all these things are because I'm 51 and my hormones are in an uproar, but I'm a nurse so I worry anyway. I take comfort in the fact so many of us are feeling the same symptoms. Take care, Ann

Old 01-08-2006, 01:10 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Little Amy HB User

Chillijava:
I've had nothing but anxiety and stomach problems since this whole peri. journey started 6 years ago. I find that the anxiety and stomach ailments seem to happen at the same time too. But for me, it seems that once my stomach starts acting up, then here comes the anxiety. I'd read somewhere that our digestive system has it's own nervous system of sorts, which I tend to believe. My brother, who is a cardiologist said that our hormones greatly affect our digestion, which may account for all the stomach woes we encounter during this time. I had to have my gall bladder taken out a little over 3 years ago, and had lots of trouble ever since. Reflux is what is bugging me the most right now. But my stomach problems seems to change every six months or so, and I sympathize greatly with you, because NONE of this is fun at all.
Amy

Old 01-08-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

After reading this I am now wondering if my stomach problems are from perimenopause! I had burning pain, pressure, getting full really fast for the past year, finally I went to the doctor and got an endoscopy because it was getting to the point I was dreading meals and I was worrying something was really wrong with me - however they found absolutely NOTHING! Could it be perimenopause and anxiety? (I do have lots of anxiety, especially over health issues, I'm 47)

Old 01-08-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunlover
After reading this I am now wondering if my stomach problems are from perimenopause! I had burning pain, pressure, getting full really fast for the past year, finally I went to the doctor and got an endoscopy because it was getting to the point I was dreading meals and I was worrying something was really wrong with me - however they found absolutely NOTHING! Could it be perimenopause and anxiety? (I do have lots of anxiety, especially over health issues, I'm 47)

Most likely. You sound just like I did. I got the tummy problems first, then got major anxiety about it because I felt so bad and thought something was seriously wrong. Also had the endoscopy (and colonoscopy) and found nothing. It has since gotten better (I'm post meno now) but I still get bouts of bloating and fullness occasionally. So it was only in hindsight that I believe it was all due to peri.

Nornie

Old 01-09-2006, 01:02 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

chillijava HB User

hi ladies, thanks for all your replies.
it is such comfort to know that its not all in my mind, i was beginning to think i was going mad.
i am sitting here posting and i am freezing cold and shivering but my upper torso and face is very hot, these symptoms are a pain.
its a strange journey you dont know from one day to the next how you are going to feel, its soooooooooo hard planning anything these days.
the tummy and anxiety problems are the worse for me and i sit here wondering what is wrong with me.
i now know some of you are also having these problems and this will now help me to deal with it, i thought i was the only one.

take care all

andrea

Old 01-09-2006, 08:07 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Little Amy HB User

Andrea:
The chilling and shaking you are talking about having are VERY common to all this too. I've had that so bad that I thought I was going to die sometimes. I usually just take half of a Xanax (anti-anxiety med.) and go stand in a hot shower until I warm up and get calmed down. This peri. stuff is a miserable ride, and some of these symptoms get so bad that you end up at the doctor a hundred times asking what's wrong, and all you'll get is "I don't know what's wrong with you...maybe you should see a psychologist or counselor." It's very frustrating. But finding these boards with all these nice ladies who've had the same symptoms and being able to talk to them is the best medicine in the world! Hang in there kiddo!
Amy

Old 01-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

chillijava HB User

hi amy, thanks for your words of comfort.
these chills drive me up the wall , they are really strange, they seem to be like waves washing over me and no matter what i do i cannot get warm.

Old 01-09-2006, 02:40 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillijava
i am sitting here posting and i am freezing cold and shivering but my upper torso and face is very hot, these symptoms are a pain.
WOW! I never heard that happening and it was happening to me!! My cheeks get hot and my ears get hot and red and I have bad chills with it! (not at the moment, but I mean it happens! Then at times my stomach gets waves of heat inside it, like a hot flash but INSIDE my stomach! And I can feel it before it comes if that makes sense, that along with the hot ears and chills)

Old 01-10-2006, 10:24 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

HI,

For me the anxiety I think came after the tummy problems. Two years ago they cropped up and I had no idea peri could produce this. The best thing I did was get a book called the Pause which Ainfante (Andrea) on this board recommened and it details every symptom , including gastrointestinal disturbances. It sure helped me to calm down. The anxiety was making my stomach situation worse. My gyn said anxiety produces acidity in our stomach and that of course did not help. They did give me xanax to calm me when I was going thru all that and it did help and of course when I was not anxious my stomach was way better.

After 5 months of on and off tummy woes, (gas, more diarhhea, twinges ,etc, which all were worse around my cycle), it seemed to all stabilize. Then the rest of the year it was much better. Then last year around Feb I started to get some of it back and really was frustrated, got the internal shakes too during that time. I was a mess and this board and many of those on it really helped me to see it was all hormonal. (visit to my gyn also confirmed this). Luckily last year it only lasted a couple months, then the rest of the year it was pretty good in the stomach dept. Not to say I didn't have flare ups but I could clock them pretty much with my cycles.

Since this is a new year and I am 51 , I am thinking uh-oh, it is Jan again and I had those problems both years previous to this at this time or near it, so kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop!! But this time I know what it is and I think I am less likely to get carried away with the anxiety over it. Like Amy said (good to see you Amy!!) I feel that it comes in cycles for me and sometimes for no apparent reason!! Wish I had an answer to it , but as someone once told me on here, just keep telling yourself it is hormones and it will help!!

Take care EVERYONE,

rmc

Old 01-10-2006, 10:34 AM   #12
(female)

laineyk HB User

Hi all...man am I ever glad that this is here to read...otherwise I would definately sign myself up for a padded cell.
I have one...how about loose bowels? I must go three to five times a day no lie....worse as it gets closer to my period.
I have horrible anxiety...zoloft & klonopin
also the cold sensation.....sometimes I feel like I can't get warm...got a heating pad on me with a foot warmer...what an old maid I have become & I am only 47.
Its so good & encouraging to see I am not headed for the loony bin....just taking a ride with all you ladies. Priase God I have this to turn to.
Lainey

Old 01-10-2006, 12:11 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Laieny,

I have the same thing at times when I am near my period...the loose bowels and going more often. And the cold sensation at times too. In fact I get that more than hot flashes, which I have never really had.

And yes it is sure helpful to see that we are all going thru this in one fashion or another!!

Take care,

rmc

Old 01-10-2006, 06:53 PM   #14
(female)

1awesomegranny HB User

I agree with what Amy said, my doctor said that the gut has its own "brain" and the anxiety and problems with digestion and bowels go hand in hand. My problem is that these cause more anxiety and sometimes I am to the point where any little twitch or pain or zap GIVES me the anxiety, which sometimes turns into tummy trouble. What a wonderful circle!! NOT!! I don't know who said it (Ann I think) but like them, I too don't have alot of anxiety when my symptoms are calm. And the bowels, I used to have that, now I've switched over to the constipation...ggrrr. Except for right after my period starts, then its like my body is purging of everything...I get diahrea and gas and belching....how attractive is that? lol
Conni

Old 01-10-2006, 08:10 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Yes, Conni, I get those very attractive things too!! It is frustrating that they come and go. And I agree with everyone that the anxiety is at bay when the symptoms are too.

rmc

Closed Thread