It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2006, 11:37 AM   #1

Gaitsofgold HB User
My periods are becoming irregular

I know its normal to have irregular/strange periods when in peri, but it still makes me nervous. I've had lots of anxiety and panic attacks for the last two years plus occasional hot flashes and sleep disturbances plus increased migraines. My last period was 12 days late (has never happened before in my life) Today, 18 days later, I started again, and its quite clotty although not much more flow than a normal period. I've been regular as clockwork my whole life, so this is very strange for me (even though I keep hearing its normal). How long do irregular periods continue, usually, until they stop altogether? I have lots of cramping too.

Randi

Old 01-14-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User
Re: My periods are becoming irregular

I have my period problems too. I'm going to see a Dr this wednesday. Mine period sometime twice in a month. Sometime non in a month. I'm very tired and dizziness. I have a lot of palpitations. Do you?

Pika.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2006, 11:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi,

I understand how you are nervous with the strange and irregular periods. I first started to notice irregularities in my mid 40s...where my usual like clockwork periods that came at day 28 were coming at day 24 or 18 and then coming again at day 24 after that. Of course it is always best to mention it to your gyn and I did and everything was fine she assured me, it was just that by the very fact that I was in my 40s I was in ...perimenopause...the time before menopause.

Well, I am now 51 and still in it as I am still getting periods, albeit they have become more unpredictable here and there. I have not had the long spaces that a lot of women have , my longest skip has been to be without my period for 3 months. Then after that (last year), I started getting them again on anywhere from day 24 to day 27. Before last year I had only got to day 40 or day 50 without my period but other than that mine have come pretty regularly. but when it first all happened where they started to change, yes it made me anxious and nervous as of course it did not seem "normal" to me. But it is normal at this time. "Normal" changes at this time!! LOL!!

A good book to read if you haven't is The Pause. It details all the symptoms that can crop up and goes way beyond just telling us about hot flashes, and talks about other symptoms that I did not know were part of peri , and it does talk about irregular periods, and palpitations, both of which you both mentioned.

As far as how long irregular periods continue, until they stop altogether..that varies from woman to woman. I still get my period as I said, where some women have stopped altogether when they are 50 or 51. My cousin stopped at 53 and had irregular periods from her mid 40s till then. I guess the one thing I have come to expect...is the unexpected and the unpredictable in all this . No question it can produce anxiety and that is hard but once you tell yourself it is the hormones it does help to calm oneself.

As far as the palpitations that was also one of the first things I encountered. Had it checked out and everything was fine. Then I didn't get them for awhile and then 2 years ago when I was having all sorts of symptoms (among other things, a lot of intestinal stuff which I never knew could be part of all this but can be) ...I started to get palps. again with nightsweats which are common. I still get an occasional palpitation here and there and it is very common as I said at this time. But again best to talk to your dr. about it.

I wish I could tell you how not to worry or how not be nervous or how not to be anxious at this time...truth be told I have a hard time even after being in this thing for awhile to calm myself at times. This board helps though...reading that others are going thru the same thing. So keep posting and hang in there!!

Take care,

rmc

Old 01-14-2006, 11:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User

There just isn't any real way to tell how long you are going to experience irregular periods. It is such a individual thing. The best way to figure out what you might go through is to look at what your mother and/or her mother went through. You will most likely have very simular symptoms. Even an aunt or sister can give you some clue.
I am almost 50 and still have irregular periods and don't know from one month to the next what is in store for me. This has been going on now for about 3 years or so. I have been in perimenopause I figure, for about 6 years. I describe my symptoms as a roller coaster! It is quite a ride and hopefully I will be getting off soon. Unfortunately for me, my mother died when she was 36(I was 12) and my aunts never were close enough to ask. Most of them are gone now too. My sister, who is younger is starting to have symptoms now and she is 46.
I know that many women get nervous and scared about the changes that their bodies are going through. Spending years hearing that any change could be something bad. It is no wonder that we are all freaking out. I also experience panic attacks for about a year. I still have anxiety sometimes, but I use relaxation techniques that I learned to help calm me down. Most of my anxiety I realize now is unneccessary and can be controlled.
What is happening is a very natural process. If you look at it that way, it will help you get through the rough times. Have a positive attitude and make the most of everything you learn to help you get through this time.
Wishing you well!

Old 01-15-2006, 05:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Thanks for both of you the quick reply and encourage. I'm still very nervous. I'm very scare to tell the Dr all these happen. Normally what the Dr will do? Are they asking to take medication or doing test or giving a needle? I feel like to cry. I'm very very scare of painful stuff did on me. I've been very tired and exhausted. I've a lot of palpitations. I also have night sweating as one of you mentioned. Can you tell me what could be happened in the visit? Please....

Pika

Old 01-15-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Pika,

You didn't say how old you are but just being in your 40s you are in perimenopause ,especially mid to late 40s.

Just in your annual gyn appt tell the gyn what you are experiencing. They can do a blood test to figure out where somewhere is in peri but really it is not real reliable so most drs. do not do it, (mine did not) so don't get nervous about testing as they will most likely not do anything at all, just your usual gyn annual appt. Just by what you are telling them they will know you are in peri.

I feel so bad for you as I have been upset with anxiety too and know how it feels. The hormones just do that to us at this time. As far as what will happen in a visit...I am assuming you go to your annual gyn appts right? so I guess I am saying just when you go for that, just tell your dr. what is going on and also do get the book The Pause, it will really help during this time to assure you it is all normal. Believe me I know how you feel as I get worked up going to my appts and it is just a very tough feeling but you are not alone and keep posting and reading this board and venting as that helps.

Take care,

rmc

Old 01-15-2006, 12:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User

I think I have to go check out this book, the Pause. Must have some good information in it to be mentioned as much as it is.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:57 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

I'm nearly 48. The appointment is me asked for, not annual appt. I need a health nurse but they said my irregular period had gone over 3 months so need to see a doctor. It is a time frame there.

Other than irregular period, I've a lot of palpitations but the palpitations which is unable to feel it on the pulse. I just feel very exhausted, dizziness and the vibrations (now it travels to my hands and legs). I also get leaking urine on the underwear when I coughed. I spoke to my GP and a local Dr, they're not listening. They all thought it is the mental problem. Would your GP refuse or ignore that too? It seems getting more and more problems if I left it too long.

I also found sugar is leaking in my urine for more than one and the half year already. I'd 3 blood tests done, Dr said is nothing wrong. Would this be a part of peri as well? I'll go and get the book "The Pause" and read. Thanks for everything.

Pika.

Closed Thread