It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User
Increase in allergies during peri

Has anyone noticed an increase in allergic problems during peri? For MANY years I have colored my hair and have worn acrylic nails. Within the last year both of those are causing me problems. After I color my hair, my head will itch for days and my neck breaks out with a funny rash. I have tryed every haircolor under the sun. I have tried professional colors too, all react the same. Whenever I go to nail salon, my cuticles will become itchy and red for several days. I am even noticing some problems with eating certain foods and taking medication I have taken for years with no problems. Now I get hives! Is this just my body that's all out of whack, or has anyone else noticed this problem? Anybody got a suggestion for a haircolor I could try? I guess I can live without the nails, but hair turning gray is driving me nuts! Thanks, ann

Old 01-14-2006, 10:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User
Re: Increase in allergies during peri

I have the problem with my shampoo. Both of my ears (top) has itchy and hard skin. Need steroid cream to clear it and it comes back. Changed shampoo is the same things. Not using shampoo??? Better not wash the hair

Pika.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2006, 11:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Cruiser,
I think it is said that if you had pre-existing allergies before going thru peri, they intensify when you're in peri. I don't think peri causes you to get allergies. Peri times probably caused to body to react differently tho. I do know (I'm the queen of allergies) that if you "overdo" something, you end up developing an allergy towards it. As you get older, you will suddenly become allergic to stuff you never have been when you were younger. If you colored your hair for years and years, you do end up getting allergic reaction to it. It's the chemicals in the hairdye. There was a woman I knew who was in her early 60's and she colored her hair for years - she ended up having a rash on her neck and was told she had to stop. She did and had to deal with total white hair! But after a nice short haircut, it actually looked better. It matched her better (she didn't have a young face!). I don't think there's anything you can do to color your hair to not get the rash...what kind of hairdo do you have? Having a short haircut with white/gray hair is nice looking too...maybe you can try that route? Trust me, I know how you feel - I had to change my ways when I had severe dry eyes and couldn't wear my contacts anymore - I feel like a total geek in glasses these days! but what am I suppose to do?

I have gotten bad cases of hives so I understand what you're going thru. I had them all over my body; had it couple of times on my face (think from dust) and from eating spicy thai food. Lasted a long time too. Doesn't help me feel good at all!

molly

Old 01-15-2006, 12:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

I have an increase in allergies mega time! Even my asthma has returned! They say that during the change, your hormones are all screwed up and believe it or not, allergies are hormone related and controlled big time!

Old 01-15-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User

Thank you for the replies. I will learn to accept what can't be changed. My mother was totally gray by the age of the 35 and always looked beautiful. I just don't think I look as good with hair as she did. I do really miss getting my nails done. I would go after work and it was so relaxing. Oh well, I'm saving some money. There is a haircolor I've been ordering online that doesn't have any peroxide or ammonia in it, it doesn't cause as much itching, but it only lasts about 2 weeks. Maybe I will try regular haircolor again when I am thru with this peri stuff. Thanks again, Ann

Closed Thread