It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2006, 07:21 PM   #1
(female)

Kulta HB User
Exclamation This is the only connection I can think of

It happened last month during my period, and now this month during my period. But before the Moderators strike and move me, please listen up!

I have posted this on both the Brain Disorder board and Sleep Disorder board. People there have been able to relate to this problem, but no one has any diagnosis. Not until this "hormone" connection......

During my sleep, I experience what I can describe only as "firecrackers" inside my brain. I "see" a bright light flash, accompanied with a loud "BANG!!!" as if someone lit a firecracker right before my eyes! Naturally, if I'm dreaming, the dream immediately stops and my "eye sight" turns to black...making me feel as if I died! It's terribly traumatic! Eventually, after about a week, the firecrackers turned into dynamite, and leaves me feeling as if I blew myself up!!

I've been to a neurologist, had an MRI, CT scan, EEG, bloodwork and sleep study done. All turned out normal. The only connection has been the "time of month."

I'm almost 47 and someone pointed out maybe the hormones or peri-menopause has something to do with it.

Any women out there experience this???????

Old 01-16-2006, 11:38 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User
Re: This is the only connection I can think of

I'm no Dr., but could it be migranes? Have you ever had migranes before? I started getting them at a young age, they were quite severe with a period before the headache when I would see an aura that would get larger and larger until it was hard to see out of one eye. They lessened with intensity as I got older and I also found out in my 20's that certain foods trigger them and cut those out of my diet.

In my late 30's, around the time I started getting mild peri symptoms, I seemed to get more of them. They were not the horrible headaches I'd had in my youth, but the aura's were more of a blacking out (only one eye) which passes in a few minutes.

Anyway, I'm not sure I've heard of anyone with the banging, etc., although some of my auras would certainly happen while sleeping (I'd be dreaming I could see it).

You might check out the headache board here if you haven't already. Good luck, it sounds very scary.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2006, 09:25 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Linma2428 HB User

Hi I have experienced what your describe its a very strange feeling the fire cracker feeling. I seemed I had that for about 5 years from the time I was 40 to 45. I haven't had it that much in the last 4 years I will be 50 in Feb. I never did find out what it was. I feel like it happened more often if I had a busy day and was around a lot of noise, people talking or going to a party or something like that.

Linda

Last edited by Linma2428; 01-16-2006 at 09:28 PM.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:34 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Little Amy HB User

Kulta:
I've experienced something similar to that in a milder way, and it's like static electricity in your brain. It hasn't happened to me as much in the past few months, but I've had a couple years of that happening, and I'm definitely going through perimenopause. Actually, my blood tests say I'm post-menopausal, but I'm still having periods - go figure. I'm 45 years old, and considering your age, and all the normal test results you are getting back - I'd almost bet it's perimenopause that's causing what you are describing. I've had so many weird symptoms with this mess that I've begun to think feeling weird is just normal now.
Amy

Old 01-17-2006, 04:20 AM   #5
(female)

Kulta HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katidid95
I'm no Dr., but could it be migranes? Have you ever had migranes before? I started getting them at a young age, they were quite severe with a period before the headache when I would see an aura that would get larger and larger until it was hard to see out of one eye. They lessened with intensity as I got older and I also found out in my 20's that certain foods trigger them and cut those out of my diet.

Anyway, I'm not sure I've heard of anyone with the banging, etc., although some of my auras would certainly happen while sleeping (I'd be dreaming I could see it).

You might check out the headache board here if you haven't already. Good luck, it sounds very scary.
Yes, I've gotten the aura-migraines since childhood. An eye doctor labeled it "occular migraine". I've never gotten the headache though that usually accompanies them! I've never experienced them while sleeping either.

I'll be sure to check out that headache board. Thanks!

Old 01-17-2006, 06:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

Jerks and flashes and having your head explode are of no medical
significance according to the "experts". It's completely
normal. It's not migraine syndrome or anything like that either. They are called "sleep starts".

There are various kinds of "sleep starts." One is an "auditory sleep
start," As you fall asleep, instead of jumping awake with a twitch, you wake to a snap or cracking sound that seems to originate in your head. Sometimes the sound can seem as loud as a gun being fired next to your ear or it can be a simple click.

Another 'sleep start' is a "visual sleep start." It can happen alone or with an auditory sleep start. A visual sleep start is a flash of white light that seems to originate within your head or behind your eyes. Such a flash may be triggered by an outside
stimulus such as a wall cracking as the house settles. (which is what happens to me)

And of course, you have the one where you awaken with a twitch or jump. Usually it's preceded by the feeling you are about to fall. All totally normal and no one yet can say why it happens, only that it has to do with the transition between sleep and awake, when parts of your body all start to relax.

I seem to get this a lot if I have anxiety or if I drank coffee too close to bedtime. So hormones could most definitely do this as hormones will cause anxiety too! And you could FEEL CALM!

Old 01-17-2006, 09:09 AM   #7
(female)

Kulta HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunlover
Jerks and flashes and having your head explode are of no medical
significance according to the "experts". It's completely
normal. It's not migraine syndrome or anything like that either. They are called "sleep starts".

There are various kinds of "sleep starts." One is an "auditory sleep
start," As you fall asleep, instead of jumping awake with a twitch, you wake to a snap or cracking sound that seems to originate in your head. Sometimes the sound can seem as loud as a gun being fired next to your ear or it can be a simple click.

Another 'sleep start' is a "visual sleep start." It can happen alone or with an auditory sleep start. A visual sleep start is a flash of white light that seems to originate within your head or behind your eyes. Such a flash may be triggered by an outside
stimulus such as a wall cracking as the house settles. (which is what happens to me)

And of course, you have the one where you awaken with a twitch or jump. Usually it's preceded by the feeling you are about to fall. All totally normal and no one yet can say why it happens, only that it has to do with the transition between sleep and awake, when parts of your body all start to relax.

I seem to get this a lot if I have anxiety or if I drank coffee too close to bedtime. So hormones could most definitely do this as hormones will cause anxiety too! And you could FEEL CALM!
WOW! Sunlover! Where and how did you learn all of this?!? I feel as though I've researched the entire web, interviewed everybody from physicians to janitors and nobody ever heard of such a thing!

But now what REALLY puzzles me, is I've been seeing a sleep study neurologist and even though it happened TWICE during the study, her computer never picked up on it! And she's never mentioned what you've said either!

And what about getting them during a dream?

Old 01-17-2006, 11:10 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Linma2428 HB User

This is very interesting information Sunlover thanks for posting it.

Linda

Old 01-17-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

Getting them during a dream, I don't know about. Maybe you are just about to wake up and then go back to sleep before fully awakening and that's why it happens. Where did I learn all this? You are looking at the biggest hypochondriac on the East Coast! Everything that happens to me I research to death, worry about it, research again and again... and all the info sticks in my head... I should be posting on the mental health board! Ha!

Old 01-17-2006, 04:02 PM   #10
(female)

Kulta HB User

Sunlover, Yes! I believe I may even have run across an old posting of your's while doing a little research of my own! Your reply out there was literally word-for-word! I have posted this exciting news in the sleep disorder board as there's a whole "bedroom full" of troubled souls there trying to find this answer! Thank you!!!

Old 01-18-2006, 03:24 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

I am surprised that they never came across anything, but maybe they just didn't know where to look or maybe they're not as obsessed as I am, when I put things in search engines, I try all kinds of combinations until I finally find the medical term for it... you are very welcome!

Closed Thread