It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2006, 06:48 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User
What do you take to help with the peri anxiety?

My doctor has given me Ativan to take for the anxiety, but ONLY as needed, and for a very LIMITED time. What do some of you take, and what would you recommend for long-term use to get through this difficult time??

Molly--I know you said in a previous post that your dad took Ativan. What side effects did he experience? I don't take it every day, and I really want something better...

Thanks everyone, and have a good Sunday!

Lynn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2006, 07:54 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User
Re: What do you take to help with the peri anxiety?

Lynn,

Have you joined the fish oil bandwagon yet? Many of us here are taking it and it really helps with both peri depression and anxiety. And of course it's all natural and non-addictive. Now of course sometimes peri anxiety gets so bad that you do need medications. I didn't take any so I can't help you out there. But no matter what you take it will really help you to add in the fish oil. (Plus it has lots of other benefits too, cardiac, skin, hair, etc. all parts that needs help during peri!)

Nornie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2006, 08:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User

Lynn, I agree with Nornie. I was having panic attacks sneak back into my evenings and heard about fish oil maybe helping so I started taking it and within a short time I was panic attack free. Now every so often I have some anxiety but not bad. I take the fish, flax, and borage oil combination. It's natural and so good for you anyway, it's worth a try. Hope this helps.
Julie

Old 01-22-2006, 03:22 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User

Hi Nornie and Julie,

Thank you so much for the info about the fish oil! The only thing I'm wondering about is this, and maybe it is a dumb question, but does it cause you to have a fishy taste in your mouth?? I recently picked up some flax seed capsules, but haven't started on them yet. Are the fish oil supplements and flax seed supplements similar? I really want to help my anxiety the natural way, so I appreciate any further input you may have!

Thanks!

Lynn

Old 01-22-2006, 03:38 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktik
Hi Nornie and Julie,

Thank you so much for the info about the fish oil! The only thing I'm wondering about is this, and maybe it is a dumb question, but does it cause you to have a fishy taste in your mouth?? I recently picked up some flax seed capsules, but haven't started on them yet. Are the fish oil supplements and flax seed supplements similar? I really want to help my anxiety the natural way, so I appreciate any further input you may have!

Thanks!

Lynn
Not a dumb question at all - you would think if you're taking fish oil you'd have a fishy taste. That would be awful. Most are capsules and are coated so you don't taste anything, but some people have said they got burpy afterwards. The one thing that seems to avoid that is very simple - freeze the bottle. No, the capsules don't stick together (I thought they would) but by freezing them you completely eliminate any fishy taste or aftertaste.

Fish oil and flax are different. I can't take flax because I'm on thyroid meds and was told they don't interact well. But others on here take both flax and fish oils. Someone mentioned they take a combination of flax, borage, and fish oil. That might be on the "natural supplements" sticky at the top of this board.

Nornie

Old 01-23-2006, 03:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Hi Lynn
I have to jump on this fish oil bandwagon here too. I totally agree with Nornie & Julie on the fish oil topic. I found it EXTREMELY helpful in getting rid of my anxiety.
I have to see the past 5 yrs have been awful with anxiety for me. I started taking fish oil, just because one of the guys at work was taking it for his cholesterol problem, and I said what the heck, at 50 and no estrogen...I'm a heart attack waiting to happen. At the time I was having daily anxiety/panic attacks, couldn't sleep, was a real grizzly bear mood-wise. After 3 weeks of taking the fish oil, the anxiety just left!
And I couldn't contribute that to anything else I was doing. I recommend it to everyone! And as Nornie (I think) said it's good for so many other, it's certainly one supplement worth taking.
I also take liquid flaxseed oil, and they are both EFA's (essential fatty acids) that are good for you.
ANother plus of the omega oils is I've seen an improvement in that adult acne that crept back into my life when I hit peri. And I haven't gotten that dry itchy skin I usually get every winter. Of course winter has a ways to go, so the jury is still out on that one.
But just having it take away (or vastly improve) the anxiety & mood issues, is well worth taking it.
Oh, and my doc gave me ativan too, when I couldn't sleep & was so on edge, but found it pushed me into depression if I took it more than 1 day in a row! Sure didn't need that! So you're wise to look for other routes to an anxiety-free peri/meno time.
And I just refrigerate mine. I never tasted any fish effects, except for the one time I took it in the morning with coffee....Ewwwwwww! That didn't sit too well first thing in the a.m.!
Hellas
P.S. Of course it doesn't help with typing!

Last edited by HELLASRULES; 01-23-2006 at 03:08 PM.

Old 01-23-2006, 05:16 PM   #7
(female)

Lola51 HB User

What kind of dosage of Omega 3 do you take? And what about that blend of fish/borage/flax?

Also, has anyone heard of Lemon Balm? It's in capsule or leaf form and is supposed to calm the heartrate and help with digestion among other things. It sounds too good to be true. (Where's Jackie when you need her??)

Lola

Old 01-23-2006, 05:50 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Hi Lola
I take 2 capsules of 1200 mg fish oil a day. I just basically follow the directions on the lable. I know some of the other ladies have taken the fish/borage/flax combo with just as much benefit from it that I've had with just the fish oil. I think all the omega-3 oil are beneficial, although I'm no expert.
Have you tried magnesium? It's really helped with my heart palps, and I have mitral valve prolapse so get them anyway. Menopause just made them worse.
Sorry I haven't heard of the lemon balm.
Hellas

Old 01-23-2006, 07:25 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User

I haven't heard of lemon balm either. What is the benefit from it? As for the Omega I follow the label also.
Julie

Old 01-23-2006, 07:47 PM   #10
(female)

Lola51 HB User

That's right, come to Pittsburgh to learn the secrets of life!!!

Someone mentioned Lemon Balm (Melissa Officinalis) on the thyroid board and I looked it up. It has mild sedating effects, which is why it is used for thyroid stuff - slows down palpitations; reduces tension, restlessness and ANXIETY. It can help sleep and digestive/gastro disorders. It can be gotten in leaf form and used as tea or in salads, or it can be in capsule form.
How's that for a miracle herb??

Let's face it, I really drag my feet when it comes to ingesting stuff - unless it has tomato sauce on it!!!
So I really would like to know if anybody has tried it. Supposedly there aren't any interactions or problems, but if it's so great, why haven't we heard of it?

Yours in STEELER greatness,
Lola

Last edited by Administrator; 06-26-2011 at 05:29 AM.

Old 01-24-2006, 07:38 AM   #11
(female)

1awesomegranny HB User

The fish oil has helped me alot...I too was given ativan by my doc, but haven't taken it for months except for a couple times just to sleep and then only 1/2 pill. I started taking just the fish oil alone, one in the morning and two before bed, but changed the last couple times I've bought it to the fish/flax/borage mix and haven't seen any change so I think either type works equally well. I agree, it has helped my anxiety and as Faith said, at my age I'm a heart attack waiting to happen, so why not take something that might help? Thanx for the info on the lemon balm, will have to check that out also.
And as for the Steelers...woohoo, go Pittsburgh!! But, I have to add, only because the other team beat my REDSKINS!!!!! lol Good day all,
Conni

Closed Thread