It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2006, 04:08 PM   #1
(female)

Nance77 HB User
Unhappy Tingling/Numbness in Hands ?

Hi
I will be 48 next month and have had peri menopausal symptoms since my late 30s....Within the past year my periods have been shorter and sometimes irregular, plus many more symptoms...This past week, almost every night I have had night sweats, which I have had in the past, but not every night..It was only occasionally...I can't even have the heat on in my bedroom, it has to be cold for me to not become extremely hot....Then today, I got this bad numbness and tingling in my hands...Also, my hands were ice cold when this happened....Then I started to panic, thinking maybe I am having a stroke or something! Then my feet started to feel tingly..
Just wondering if anyone else has had this symptom and if its something to worry about...Also, my hands and feet are always cold....even in the summer...
Thanks!
Nancy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2006, 04:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User
Re: Tingling/Numbness in Hands ?

Hi Nance77,
Sorry your are having the tingling. For me my feet and hands are always cold but not sure if that is a meno thing or not, I have Raynaud's disease, which is basicly poor circulation to my toes and hands. But have had tingling and numbness in my feet, legs, and hands also. As your hormones go up and down there is so many things that are affected. But if you are worried about it you should call your doctor and be seen. You are not alone.
Julie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2006, 04:58 PM   #3
(female)

Lola51 HB User

Hi Nancy
I know it's always a good idea to call your doctor about things that bother you, but I'd be on the phone every day - several times a day!!

I do get some slight tingling in my hands & feet, but not so much. I saw an endocrinologist for a thyroid thing yesterday, and she said that Omega-3 is a good thing. Not only does it help w/anxiety and a lot of other meno symptoms, but it's good for circulation. I suspect that would help the tingling. I know most of the women on these boards swear by it, and it certainly wouldn't hurt.

I know the worry is the worst part of this deal, but we're all there with you!
Best,
Lola

Old 01-25-2006, 07:21 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User

Hi Nancy,
I have alot of numbness and tingling in my left arm and leg. I have had it off and on for years. I thought at first it was something bad, had the CT scans and MRI's all fine. I have had heavy periods for along time too, and just recently found out I am anemic. I think the numbness is alittle better since I started on iron pills. Maybe you should check just to make sure your not anemic. Numbness is one of the side effects. I get a funny "buzzing" in my left foot too. I'm pretty sure that's hormone related. Since your also cold alot maybe that could relate back to a low iron count too. I was freezing all the time when my iron was low. I should have been smart enough to put the symptoms together since I was flowing so much. Just thought it was a part of peri-menopause which it is, but you just have to keep a watch on your blood counts during this time. Take care, Ann

Old 01-29-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
(female)

Wizard HB User

Hi Nancy:

You've almost exactly described what I've been going through.

I'm 47, about 4 months ago, I went from having a normal 7 day period every 30 days to suddening get a short 3 day very light period every 24 days. At the same time, I started experiencing a lot of tingling in my hands and feet. It started in my left baby finger and eventually spread to my lower limbs. It has currently moved from feeling tingly to a numb feeling. I've had every test around and my doctor says I'm totally healthy which leaves hormones as the only possible contributor.

My fingers and toes also usually feel ice cold.

Currently, I'm taking flax seed oil, fish oils and magnesium to help on the days when it isn't horribly bad. I find that it gets much worse starting a few days before I get my period and really rotten while I'm on my period and then slowly eases up as I head towards mid month. My guess is that it happens that way because estrogen and progesterone levels drop as your cycle begins and reach a high mid cycle.

I also had extreme anxiety over it and I find that during my period, I have to resort to using an anti-anxiety med to get me through those few days.

Jo

Old 01-29-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
(female)

Nance77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard
Hi Nancy:

You've almost exactly described what I've been going through.

I'm 47, about 4 months ago, I went from having a normal 7 day period every 30 days to suddening get a short 3 day very light period every 24 days. At the same time, I started experiencing a lot of tingling in my hands and feet. It started in my left baby finger and eventually spread to my lower limbs. It has currently moved from feeling tingly to a numb feeling. I've had every test around and my doctor says I'm totally healthy which leaves hormones as the only possible contributor.

My fingers and toes also usually feel ice cold.

Currently, I'm taking flax seed oil, fish oils and magnesium to help on the days when it isn't horribly bad. I find that it gets much worse starting a few days before I get my period and really rotten while I'm on my period and then slowly eases up as I head towards mid month. My guess is that it happens that way because estrogen and progesterone levels drop as your cycle begins and reach a high mid cycle.

I also had extreme anxiety over it and I find that during my period, I have to resort to using an anti-anxiety med to get me through those few days.

Jo

Hi Jo:
Thanks for replying....I have noticed it more also right before I am going to get my period...I have anxiety about this and many other things, which is way worse right before my period, which is now....I feel very depressed, cry all the time, and have anxiety about everything, especially these wacky physical symptoms...I have xanax which I only need to take during this time..Once my period is over I usually feel much better...I am normally a hypochondriac anyway, but when I started with the tingling, I thought, ok, stroke and I immediately took my blood pressure, lol, which was like 121/72..surprised it was so good...
Take Care
Nancy

Old 01-29-2006, 04:59 PM   #7
(female)

Wizard HB User

Nancy:

I was so bad when this started about 4 mths ago, that I went to emergency thinking I was having a heart attack. I had a complete workup and they attributed all my problems to anxiety (which I've never suffered from before). It took 4 continuous months before I noticed the real pattern of things worsening just before my period started and then easing off as I got to mid-month. I also get rotten tension headaches and a general blue weepy feeling in the days just prior to my period.

Hopefully this phase will be short lived for both of us.

Jo

Old 01-29-2006, 06:14 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Oh let me tell you, when I first went into perimenopause it was irregular periods and tension, like PMS all the time. But when it really hit home, periods every two weeks then spread so far apart, I had cold hands and feet, tingling all over, not just in my hands and feet, buzzing, twitches, oh God, so much more. U know, for some it's easy this transition, and yes, anxiety is the culprit but you are getting the anxiety from rapid hormone changes in your body. You know, it's like this, it's like withdrawing from a drug, coz u do withdraw from progesterone first, then estrogen.

Closed Thread