It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2006, 02:00 AM   #1
(female)

sjde HB User
What about this sleeplessness?

I've heard menopause can cause sleep disturbances but I've had hot flashes for 5 years and this just started happening now--having trouble falling asleep many nights. I'll lie in bed an hour or two. Is this common?

Sue

Old 01-26-2006, 06:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User
Re: What about this sleeplessness?

Hi sjde,

Welcome. I hate to say it but yes this is very common. You can take natural supplements that help you relax and get to sleep easier like valerian, or
5 HTP I think it is. But I would start with taking omega 3 oil's (fish oil) it seems to helps with many things like anxiety, depression, sleep, dry skin, great for the heart and other things. I take the combo of fish, flax, and borage and take three a day like the label says on mine. But many of the ladies here take just fish oil and have had the same results. Hope you are soon sleeping great.

Julie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2006, 06:33 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User

Hi Sue,
I am sleepless in the midwest! Started about 1 1/2 years ago. Very common peri-menopause and menopause symptom. Alot of ladies swear by the fish oil casules to help with anxiety, depression and insomnia. I brought some yesterday at Walmart And will start them today. These are gel capsules and they are huge! It says to take 3 per day, I hope I can them down without choking to death! I do have my emergency Xanax for the nights I just can't get to sleep. I hate the nights I get to sleep fine, then wake up at 3am and can't get back to sleep. I am 51 and have talked to many ladies my age, younger and older all with sleep problems. My MIL is 79 and she still doesn't sleep. She said it all started when she about 50. Something to look forward to, right? Thank God for shopping channels that are on in the middle of the night! But I'm going broke! Ann

Old 01-26-2006, 06:36 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User

Sue,

I agree with everything Julie said, the fish oil is great for you. I also found that taking my calcium + magnesium (a natural muscle relaxer and necessary for proper calcium absorption) near bedtime really helped my sleep. You might want to try that too.

Nornie

Old 01-26-2006, 08:27 AM   #5
(female)

sjde HB User

Thanks for the info. I get a lot of calcium already--three glasses of milk a day and take supplements too, though sporatically. I'd been meaning to start taking the omega-3 fatty acids anyway; just didn't know they helped with that as well.
Isn't the usual sleeping problem due to hot flashes? You wake up with them and then can't get back to sleep? I'd never had that. Until last night, that is.

Sue

Old 01-26-2006, 08:30 AM   #6
(female)

sjde HB User

Do you think these measures work better than the natuaral measures usually advised for hot flashes? Because I tried those and nothing helped much.

Sue

Old 01-26-2006, 08:53 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjde
Do you think these measures work better than the natuaral measures usually advised for hot flashes? Because I tried those and nothing helped much.

Sue
Sue, it was adding in the magnesium that really helped me, not the calcium. I take it in a 1:0.5 ratio, which would be like 500 mg calcium and 250 mg magnesium. Some people even take a 1:1. Though you have to be careful as too much magnesium can give you diarrhea.

I think the relief people get from natural measures for hot flashes is very individualized. Some find a great deal of relief, others a bit, and others none at all. Just have to try and see if what works for you.

What seems to really cause the sleeplessness with the hot flashes is actually the anxiety that accompanies the hot flash. I was "fortunate"?? in that at the same time I was having hot flashes I was also having the crashing fatigue, so I'd wake up in a sweat bath, but so exhausted I couldn't even dry off and would just fall right back asleep, soggy but in a sleep of total exhaustion.

Nornie

Old 01-29-2006, 10:25 AM   #8
(female)

Wizard HB User

Hi:

I started with the sleepless problems about 4 months ago. Mine also came with sudden high anxiety levels.

I find that it really helps if I take about 500 mg of Magnesium before bed and during the daytime, I take flax seed oil and fish oil 3 times a day. During the really rough times in the month (during my very short period) I also take an anti-anxiety med (Clonanzepam) to help me sleep.

Old 01-29-2006, 03:25 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

I've always been the type to have a hard time falling asleep and it's just been worse since peri, especially right before my periods. I'm taking fish oil capsules at night, but wondering if I'm taking enough. For those of you who have found it helps, how much do you take?

I've also been taking a herbal pill called Deep Sleep, which is a combo of Valerian and Chammomile. I think they really do make me sleepy. You take one 1-hour before bed and then another at bed time. Sometimes I don't take the 2nd one because I'm pretty sleepy. I just moved and am almost out, so I may have to do without until I find a replacement. They are kind of expensive, about $24 for a one month supply. I also find they don't do much for keeping me asleep.

Closed Thread