It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2006, 03:33 PM   #1
(female)

Diane05 HB User
"Post-menopause? How do you feel?"

Hi ladies, I know that there are quite a few of you on this board that are "post-menopausal", myself, now after hitting the one year mark, with no period for 12 consecutive months, guess I am considered "in" menopause.

This can all get very confusing, peri-menopause, menopause and post-menopause, at least it confuses me...

I was hoping some of you ladies could share some of your experiences, especially once you hit the one year mark. Did much change for you, or did your symptoms get worse......better..... or, stay the same??? Any input is most appreciated, as I try to figure out, yet another phase to this crazy time in my life!

Last edited by Diane05; 01-31-2006 at 03:33 PM.

Old 01-31-2006, 04:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User
Re: "Post-menopause? How do you feel?"

At the one year mark my symptoms became much worse and this lasted for about two years. I am now 3 years post and the symptoms come and go at times but are not bad. Sometimes, I still feel like I am cycling.

I have more energy but the anxiety remains from the two bad years. I had every symptom listed and they would come and stay for a couple of weeks and then another would take over.

This is not to say what you will experience. All of us are different and you may just not have another period and feel great.

I did have another period on my 12th month mark and then none after that one.

Good luck and I hope that you are one of the lucky ones.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2006, 05:35 PM   #3
(female)

Diane05 HB User

Twanger, thanks for your response, it will be very interesting to see how differently, this time in our lives, seems to affect each person...my experience, since hitting the one year mark, has been... probably starting to feel better. Of course, we all know that could change in the blink of an eye...lol My moods are better, and since Nov., hardly any HF, either. I know any of the symptoms can rear their ugly head at any time, but I am encouraged that I do have the worst behind me! Hoping that's the case, anyway!!!

I have a sister in law who never even knew she was in menopause and another one that started having the symptoms way to early!

It will be interesting to get other folk's input regarding their situation, etc.! I appreciate your post, thank you!

Old 01-31-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User

I can relate to Twanger's situation. I don't think I even had a single hot flash till after my 9 month mark. After my 1yr mark is when I really hit the skids - all sorts of weird ailments - went from doctor to doctor and had a bunch of different tests. Things are better now but I still get occasional bouts of PMS-like bloat, and still get that crawly skin feeling. Hate that worse than HFs.

Nornie

Old 02-01-2006, 11:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hey ladies,
After I made 1-year mark, I ended up having a period after the 15th month! lol! I just dealt with it and it hasn't been back so I guess I'm putting myself in the post-meno category. I feel fine actually.... pretty normal considering. I know I have definitely become more aware of how I'm feeling each day - think because I felt like such crap couple of years ago that it created a bit of fear or just more awareness about my overall health. It doesn't help to be getting older and seeing the kinds of illnesses some people I know are suddenly stricken with, some life threatening. Really can put the fear in me!

I get occasional hot flashes but they are pretty manageable. I just let it come on and then it goes away in a minute or two. So far, that's about the only symptom that seem to come/go (thank goodness!) and none of the other horrible symptoms I had have come back.

I have a friend since kindergarten who is turning 53 and she is still getting her period regularly. She is also clueless as to what can happen...but so far, she isn't complaining!

Have a good one, ladies,
molly

Old 02-01-2006, 11:04 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

nornie HB User

For me there have also been emotional changes after menopause. I just feel like I'm in a new "category" of women and it doesn't feel good. Just a simple thing like the other day I was trying to find an avatar when using Yahoo mail. I realized that all the samples on yahoo were pictures of 20-somethings! Gosh, lots of menopausal women are quite cyber-hip and using systems like yahoo all the time to stay in touch! I'm sure many women on this board use it, yet they can't include one "mature" avatar on there! Sheesh.

Nornie12

Old 02-01-2006, 02:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

Hi Diane, I too hit the one year mark just recently, and wondered if I am "in menopause" or "post menopause". As far as symptoms, I still have them, unfortunately - or at least some of them. I still have the emotional issues and was having hot flashes and night sweats again, but I started back on Lexapro and both of those went away BUT - if I wasn't taking it, I would still be emotionally strung out and sweating all over the place!

I tried weaning off the AD's recently and found out that I was a much happier person and felt 100% on my drugs, so I'm sticking with them for the meantime!

Old 02-01-2006, 02:29 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nornie,

Don't feel bad about the yahoo avatars all being young and pretty! I just picked one that looked as much like me as I could get, and she made me feel young and pretty too. Hey, we can pretend can't we? Maybe we could suggest they put a menopausal avatar on there, with a sweat band and a fan! lol

littljmb

Old 02-01-2006, 09:56 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Twanger,

I was interested in seeing your post as I know we have posted before to each other last year and I think you were at one time getting that one sided ache that came and went now and then. Do you ever get that anymore, now "3 years post"? I am still getting my period but was bothered by that symptom quite a lot last year a bit and the year before and it was causing anxiety for me at the time. Luckily it has gone for now.

rmc

Old 02-02-2006, 07:37 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

rmc - I can't say that I have noticed it much in the past year or so. I know that before I would have it off and on and I wasn't sure if there was a trigger point there ( from achy, stiff muscles) or what.

I do know that when I would press on the iliac crest I would go through the ceiling. Also, at times, I thought that it may be my irritable bowel acting up which it did quite frequently before my periods and also for a year or so after the periods stopped.

Now that I am talking about it I probably will experience it today. Sometimes with this anxiety I never know what I will bring about.

The anxiety that developed over the past several years is the worst thing I am dealing with now. I think that it has turned into health anxiety and after going through meno I can understand why. Now, I just have to get rid of it.

I hope that I answered your question. If not, tell me and I can do it over.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:06 PM   #11

olderlady HB User

I am four years post and my symptoms still seem to come and go. While over Christmas I felt great now I am back to headaches, neckaches, hot flashes and some fatigue. But I am assuming this will pass like it always has. It is a little depressing though to start to take feeling well for granted only to have symptoms come back. At least I know I can come here during bad times and that helps a lot.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:23 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

OlderLady,

Thank God we do have these boards to come to, they are truly a lifesaver! This whole meno business is very unsettling to say the least.

Old 02-04-2006, 07:01 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I know the feeling. Most of the time I come to the boards to see if I can help someone who is going through peri and reassure them that things do get better.

However, being 3 years post, I still experience some of the symptoms so it helps to have reassurance myself.

The anxiety that developed over those peri years is the hardest to get rid of for me.

Old 02-05-2006, 06:06 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Like Twanger, I think, my symptoms really hit the worst after the periods stopped.
I'm 4 or 5 yrs post meno and these past few years have been the hardest for me.
For the last 8 months I've gotten better in the anxiety department.
But still have lingering issues I'm not really liking very much. Just seems like my body is falling apart. The aches & pains every single day are the worst. I'm still tired a lot. Have some health anxiety where I think every little symptom is some horrible disease, although that has gotten a little better, too.
I was under the impression before all this started, that once the periods were over you felt normal again. HA! I can't remember the last time I really felt good.
Hellas

Old 02-05-2006, 07:26 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I am glad to hear that your anxiety has improved. Did you take anything for it?

I can work through the aches and pains with stretching and walking but the anxiety is the pits. Right now, I am feeling short of breath all the time. My doctor tells me that it is anxiety which I find hard to believe.

However, the health anxiety is bad.

Closed Thread